Running Board Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day. Asking the GX hive mind for opinions: I'm going to replace my running boards (2019-Premium). Down to two options: Victory 4x4 Blitz or the RSG flat sliders with grip top and the bumpout. Not going to be significant rock crawling, but I now live near the Smoky Mountains so forest roads and trails are back in my future.

Any input, positive or negative, is appreciated.

I had the Victory on my tacoma and was very pleased with them. Most likely i will go the same route on my GX when i get to that point. I didnt do any rock crawling either but they were very stout and worked for my needs

Either one should work and be overkill for any incidental forest road contact. IIRC Victory's initial slider design compromised something with KDSS protection but I believe that is now resolved. The RSG's are proven and popular. I think the Victory sliders are a little more of an OEM+ aesthetic vs a tubular slider but that is personal preference.
I'm not sure how wide either slider is, but the kickout is nice if you need a wider rear step for little kids/aging parents/strapping crap to the roof.

Good day. Asking the GX hive mind for opinions: I'm going to replace my running boards (2019-Premium). Down to two options: Victory 4x4 Blitz or the RSG flat sliders with grip top and the bumpout. Not going to be significant rock crawling, but I now live near the Smoky Mountains so forest roads and trails are back in my future.

Any input, positive or negative, is appreciated.
I've also been looking at the Victory sliders, however this review has me concerned about their quality and also fit and finish. Need to do some more research to see if these issues have been resolved. For a similar design, including a light kit, I also like the look of the Slee sliders. Let us know what you end up going with.

I'll throw out another option that I have on my 470 (required some mods to fit but should bolt up to a 460):

$864.03 shipped and only around ~45# per side. Fit and finish is pretty good. Mine have been great for making the GX look good and serve as a good step for my wife and kids, and me when putting a bike on top of the GX. I have yet to whack a rock with them but they are very sturdy.

If you're getting sliders to be used as running boards, get the widest ones available. You'll have a lot more area to plant your feet when standing on.
Also, as I've mentioned on this forum before, it helps keep others from opening their door into your rig in parking lots.

I like my Demello sliders they have a top plate available as well. I prefer the standard model as they can be used as a recovery point in side slope situations.

One last point about sliders, either get a set that have some sort of tread plate and/or add (skaeboard) traction tape.
Sliders can be dangerously slippery when muddy, wet, icy.
You can see the traction tape on my old sliders here:
20210911_160117-jpg.2784302

and here:
20210911_174326-jpg.2784306

One last point about sliders, either get a set that have some sort of tread plate and/or add (skaeboard) traction tape.
Sliders can be dangerously slippery when muddy, wet, icy.
You can see the traction tape on my old sliders here:
20210911_160117-jpg.2784302

and here:
20210911_174326-jpg.2784306
Richard, thanks for the advice. I'm now leaning towards the RSG but it seems that their install instructions are sparse. The installation seems pretty straight forward though-not worried about the bolt up. Do you have any advice for cutting the plastic trim off the old step, and do you have a side on shot of the RSG installed with the plastic cut? Once I start cutting it's too late to redo. And any advice for cutting the KDSS skid plate, or is that a "looks about right" kinda cut? I do like how Victory 4x4 shows the side step cut process in detail on the install video for the Blitz sliders.

Dave

Richard, thanks for the advice. I'm now leaning towards the RSG but it seems that their install instructions are sparse. The installation seems pretty straight forward though-not worried about the bolt up. Do you have any advice for cutting the plastic trim off the old step, and do you have a side on shot of the RSG installed with the plastic cut? Once I start cutting it's too late to redo. And any advice for cutting the KDSS skid plate, or is that a "looks about right" kinda cut? I do like how Victory 4x4 shows the side step cut process in detail on the install video for the Blitz sliders.

Dave
On my build thread, at post # 200 are photos of the RSG sliders before and on my rig. At post #234 are some side shots of my vehicle when I first mounted 35" tires, but they're good side shots for you: Builds - R²M 2013 GX 460 Overland Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/r-m-2013-gx-460-overland-build.1104719/page-10
To tell you the truth, I did not to that work myself, I had a shop chop the running boards and mount the first sliders. I had to mount the second pair after the T-boned accident. (BTW, sliders absolutely saved my vehicle from a lot more damage when I was T-boned! Just saying...)
I believe you can also find replacement Prado rocker panels without steps online. There's been discussion about that on this forum, but you'll need to do a few searches unless someone reading this has quick info. I believe they'll be about ~$500?? Then no cutting needed!

Dave
I followed Victory's video for cutting the factory side skirts and it worked out great even though I was installing tubular sliders from a different company. You need a little bit of a gap to account for flex between the body/frame. The more precise work on this part is keeping a straight cut across like 5 feet of plastic. My first cut lined up just fine with the sliders, but do keep in mind you can always trim more off but cannot add back.
Notching the KDSS skid doesn't need to be super precise. It is hidden from view and the section you cut off is a flat corner against the frame, not a part of the skid covering the KDSS lines or any mounting bolts.

I forgot to mention a couple of things about trimming:
If you do cut your own rocker panels, when you're finished with your cut, use an edge trim. It'll cover up any discrepancies in your cut and add a finished look to it. McMaster-Carr - https://www.mcmaster.com/edge-trim/
Use a sure form, something like this: Amazon product ASIN B00002X1ZLIt will work wonders for smoothing out your cut line! It's really fast and not too labor intensive. Same thing if you decide to trim your front and rear bumpers.

Last edited:
If you're getting sliders to be used as running boards, get the widest ones available. You'll have a lot more area to plant your feet when standing on.
Also, as I've mentioned on this forum before, it helps keep others from opening their door into your rig in parking lots.
I like the idea of getting the "widest ones available" but this is proving to be most certainly easier said than done. In my experience, it has been very difficult to find sliders that serve dual purpose of a step (and I mean an adequate step - plenty advertise as a step but fall short miserably, IMO) and protection.

I have Apex sliders on my GX and they do an excellent job as a step. Particularly at the kickout area. One foot on the slider and one on the tire provides very stable roof access.

I have Apex sliders on my GX and they do an excellent job as a step. Particularly at the kickout area. One foot on the slider and one on the tire provides very stable roof access.
I think I saw your post in this thread from Summit site on the APEX sliders. What mods did you have to make to the slider to install?

slee slider steps work well as a step and a slider. they look close to oem. almost no one has even realized i replaced the steps on my gx. they are solid and give better traction than the oem steps. with that said they are probably one of the more expensive and harder to install sliders on the market.

IMG_3782.JPG
IMG_3781.JPG

I think I saw your post in this thread from Summit site on the APEX sliders. What mods did you have to make to the slider to install?
I think they should bolt right up to a 460 with KDSS as they are made for KDSS-equipped 5th gen T4Rs, but you might want to double-check the 460 and the T4R share the same frame holes.

For my non-KDSS 470 it had maybe half of the threaded bolt holes needed (but the ones it did have were in the right place). I added 6-7 holes in the frame per side and installed rivnuts to bolt them up. They fit perfect and have been great. They were only $700 shipped (raw steel) from Summit when I bought them in 2021 but have since gone up in price.

slee slider steps work well as a step and a slider. they look close to oem. almost no one has even realized i replaced the steps on my gx. they are solid and give better traction than the oem steps. with that said they are probably one of the more expensive and harder to install sliders on the market.

View attachment 3259640 View attachment 3259644
I've got my wee little eyes on those for sure! They're sold out atm - so I'm currently be watching and waiting. Lengthwise, do the Slee run the whole length of the OEM running board, or are they centered? Do you have any pics you can share of the whole side of your GX? Looks like you have the Nebula gray like mine too.

> They're sold out atm
they make them in batches. you can email customer support to find out when they will be making the next batch. you should be able to sign up for an email notification.

> Lengthwise, do the Slee run the whole length of the OEM running board,
i think they run the full length.

> or are they centered?
the shop i took the truck to said it was a pia to get them centered properly

> Do you have any pics you can share of the whole side of your GX?
yes ... here are some glamor shots at pismo beach

IMG_3670.JPG

IMG_3663.JPG

These are what I went with when I had to replace my MetalTech sliders from an accident.
Been very pleased so far, including the width of the step. I use it all the the time for opening and closing the RTT.
Here's some pic's starting at post #200: 2010+ Lexus GX460 Angled Sliders With Grip Top Plate - https://rsgmetalworks.com/collections/2010-lexus-gx460/products/2010-lexus-gx460-angled-sliders-with-grip-top-plate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom