Rubithon Aug 24-28 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m thinking about signing up for the Rubithon event. Anyone else interested, it would be great to do this with some of the club members.

Brian

I can't.... have fun!!!

You guys should do it!!! Not sure if I'll have my lift done by then but would love to ride shotgun with someone. My house is 68 miles to the trail head at Loon Lake.

Ooohhhhh

Looks like the minimal tire size is 35"!!! I'm two inches short 😥 Never heard that before.

I hear that all the time unfortunately.

It's not looking good this year.

Went through last year. The sand color one was on stock tires, still spring under and side exit exhaust with no lockers. He had trouble, but the time of his life with his son.

IMG_5379.JPG

IMG_5349.JPG

Looks like the minimal tire size is 35"!!! I'm two inches short 😥 Never heard that before.

You can make it work with more armor on 33's

I'll offer my unsolicited thoughts on the above posts, based on my personal experience. I did last year's Rubithon Wagon Run. My vehicle was an FZJ80 with a 2-3 inch lift (OME 2850/2863), 33" BFG AT's, triple-locked, good armor, and just about 7,000 lbs fully loaded & fueled for camping. Our Wagon Run consisted of 23 rigs, if i recall correctly, so it was a big group. Of the starters, several didn't complete the run for various reasons (broken axle, punctured oil pan, side flop in an off camber area, etc...). It was a mix of 60's & 80's, I don't recall any 100 Series in the group. A few of us were on 33's, but most were on 35's.

It took us 15 hours to go the first 5 miles of the trail. We reached Buck Island Lake around 11:00 PM. We were so wiped out that the trail leader called an audible and had us spend a 2nd night at Buck Island to rest, recuperate, and repair. It was a good call.

Back to my truck - I somehow spun out the drain plug on my rear diff (back & forth on rocks, I think...). I sheared a bolt on my rear sway bar link & had to remove it. My front sway bar was pinned up, but shook loose & cut the wire to my front locker (luckily, at the end of the day as I was pulling into Rubicon Springs). On the way out, I had some minor body damage on Cadillac Hill.

I think the 35" tire requirement is to help guard against another "5 in 15" event, and I think it's well placed (at least for wagons). Maybe FJ40's or mini-trucks would have an easier time on less than 35" tires, but I don't know that from experience. Can one "make it work" on 33's? Maybe, but it depends on a lot of factors - How risk averse are you? How much body/mechanical damage can you tolerate? How much time can you allow for rock-stacking & spotting? Are you comfortable with trail repairs? Etc...

Shortly after I returned home I re-geared to 4.88's, installed a Marlin Crawler low-range t-case gear, and went back to 35's. I'm looking forward to doing the Rubithon again (though probably not this year because of scheduling issues). Would I repeat last year's experience on 33's & stock gearing in an 80 Series? Never! It just wasn't worth it for me. YMMV...

Best wishes, and I hope you don't mind my butting in.

Last edited:
I'll offer my unsolicited thoughts on the above posts, based on my personal experience. I did last year's Rubithon Wagon Run. My vehicle was an FZJ80 with a 2-3 inch lift (OME 2850/2863), 33" BFG AT's, triple-locked, good armor, and just about 7,000 lbs fully loaded & fueled for camping. Our Wagon Run consisted of 23 rigs, if i recall correctly, so it was a big group. Of the starters, several didn't complete the run for various reasons (broken axle, punctured oil pan, side flop in an off camber area, etc...). It was a mix of 60's & 80's, I don't recall any 100 Series in the group. A few of us were on 33's, but most were on 35's.

It took us 15 hours to go the first 5 miles of the trail. We reached Buck Island Lake around 11:00 PM. We were so wiped out that the trail leader called an audible and had us spend a 2nd night at Buck Island to rest, recuperate, and repair. It was a good call.

Back to my truck - I somehow spun out the drain plug on my rear diff (back & forth on rocks, I think...). I sheared a bolt on my rear sway bar link & had to remove it. My front sway bar was pinned up, but shook loose & cut the wire to my front locker (luckily, at the end of the day as I was pulling into Rubicon Springs). On the way out, I had some minor body damage on Cadillac Hill.

I think the 35" tire requirement is to help guard against another "5 in 15" event, and I think it's well placed (at least for wagons). Maybe FJ40's or mini-trucks would have an easier time on less than 35" tires, but I don't know that from experience. Can one "make it work" on 33's? Maybe, but it depends on a lot of factors - How risk averse are you? How much body/mechanical damage can you tolerate? How much time can you allow for rock-stacking & spotting? Are you comfortable with trail repairs? Etc...

Shortly after I returned home I re-geared to 4.88's, installed a Marlin Crawler low-range t-case gear, and went back to 35's. I'm looking forward to doing the Rubithon again (though probably not this year because of scheduling issues). Would I repeat last year's experience on 33's & stock gearing in an 80 Series? Never! It just wasn't worth it for me. YMMV...

Best wishes, and I hope you don't mind my butting in.
sound advice. I was on the Breakfast run with about 16 rigs. We took our time with a wide variety of vehicles. To include the stock FJ40 shown in the above photos. His vehicle did not come out looking the same way it did when he drove in.

I honestly didn't think people even thought about that trail with less than 35s. Sounds like a bad time.

I honestly didn't think people even thought about that trail with less than 35s. Sounds like a bad time.
Actually I think they think a lot about it
1. How am I going to get my rig out of here
2. How much is going to cost to fix it
3 What embellishment am I going to explain how this happened
3.Why did I do this
Pretty much the thought train for unprepared that do the Rubicon. On a serious note 2 thoughts were going thru my mind 1. Crap I hope I don't break and 2. It's 500 miles home if I have to call my wife to bring a trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom