Rubicon 4th of July? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellow Mudders,

This is one of many efforts I'm making in an attempt to attract another hopeless soul who can't run Rubicon the weekend of Rubithon this year but can and wants to run it with me the following 4th of July Weekend. Longer than short is I'm going to be over 2000 miles from home on a trail I have never run, with my newlywed wife and do NOT want to do it solo. Truck is well equipped for the trip as am I. I would just feel 1000x more comfortable if I knew another truck or 2 were running it with us. If you can't but have ideas on how I can do this I am all ears. Seriously any help is appreciated, I've wanted to run Rubicon since I was 16 and I am going to be right there with my rig for the first and likely last time for a while, stupid wedding just had to be on June 27th ;) Thanks in Advance!

You won't be solo. There will be a bunch of drunk jeepers there.

You will need sliders and rear quarter protection in a wagon.

... I figured there would be lots of clowns out and prefer to do it during the week but I'm guessing best chance of finding somebody to team up with will be the weekend. So to clarify my timing is kind of flexible. Could make it there by the 1st of July and be done by the 4th, which was my initial plan and to spend the 4th in Lake Tahoe to see the fireworks show in South Lake.

As far as protection goes I have full length sliders with a bump out to help keep me off the quarters as well as gnarly rear bumper that can act as a rear slider. Also I'm not afraid of a dent or scratch to add to the many already there. So long as I can keep the glass intact.

Could make it there by the 1st of July and be done by the 4th, which was my initial plan and to spend the 4th in Lake Tahoe to see the fireworks show in South Lake.

If you are HAM-licensed, the whole trail is covered. Solo for a first-timer and a new bride is a little sketchy, and a wagon without an experienced spotter is a little sketchy too. It could be done though. You'd want to spend at least two nights on the trail.

Hmmm, I'm not HAM- licensed. Sketchy was my thoughts too, I'm a seasoned operator but I rely on a good spotter in the real tight situations, my fiance is not that spotter... if we want to get the 80 home it will remain that way for the entirety of this trip :) I almost think that if I were truly solo, just me and the truck I would just go and wing it but this needs to be a positive experience if at all possible since she has agreed to allow it during our honeymoon trip.

You could invest the $35 in a radio (Baofeng) and figure out the frequency programming. If you have an emergency, the license is optional. :) If you're a good spotter, she could be the driver. Not really trying to talk you into it, however. There are some pretty tight spots for a big wagon.

The radio would be a good idea to retain emergency communication. I'm a fair spotter but her willingness and ability to drive is 0, she ran over a corvette with one of my trucks in a parking lot... the vette was parked next to her. I reached out to a guy who does "guided" tours. Explained my situation and its gonna cost me some cash to buy him and his truck for the 2 days but I think it might work. Still very open to other ideas that don't require me buying a friend but for now it's the most viable looking option.

Well turns out buying a friend is a little more expensive than I thought... :princess:and I have decided that we will not be running Rubicon unless someone speaks up wanting to join us... for free. If I miss it this time around guess I'll have to come out for next years Rubithon ;)

See if you can ping rdublin directly (pm on mud or e-mail through mud). He doesn't spend much time here on mud anymore. Rod is a good guy and he spends some time on the Rubicon, so he and his family might be willing to make the trip with you (or could point you to somebody else that would). Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Tell him I said Hi. :D

Well turns out buying a friend is a little more expensive than I thought... :princess:and I have decided that we will not be running Rubicon unless someone speaks up wanting to join us... for free. If I miss it this time around guess I'll have to come out for next years Rubithon ;)

See if you can ping rdublin directly (pm on mud or e-mail through mud). He doesn't spend much time here on mud anymore. Rod is a good guy and he spends some time on the Rubicon, so he and his family might be willing to make the trip with you (or could point you to somebody else that would). Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Tell him I said Hi. :D

Thanks for the heads up spotcruiser, @rdublin is this something that would interest you? Or maybe just a day run of a different trail near the area? I'm flexible and have essentially decided I will be coming back out for Rubithon 2016 regardless. Feel free to shoot me a pm or give me a call to discuss 8157904276.

I'd love to join but that's Q2 quarter end time and I'll be working. No such thing as holidays in the finance world! Have you seen my thread, lots of pics so you know what to expect. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rubicon-trip-lots-o-pics.818588/

Also, lots of other great trails in the area that aren't as difficult. Along with hundreds of forest road miles to explore the Sierras. SlickRock, Hell Hole, Snake Lake, Signal Peak, Niagara Rim, etc.

@jcardona1 I have read your thread. Thanks for linking it here though so I can go over it again, lol. Finance huh? Real Estate doesn't give up many days off either... Have anxiety for the first time in my life over leaving my business for nearly a month this summer. Thanks for the trail tips I think I'm going to buy this book. Anybody have it, recommend it or any others?

http://www.funtreks.com//index.php?...ctdetails&virtuemart_product_id=23&Itemid=393
Not sure if it's the same as mine, but I have this one and highly recommend it

Guide To Northern California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails https://www.amazon.com/dp/0966497651/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_V.2evb1EZAD3G

Same author/book. Newer version. Just ordered. Did you rock those nasty tires on stock axle gears. I've debated the jump to 37's over and over and am scared that with the 37's I wont have the ponies to keep up in traffic in the mountains.
Ah nice. It's a really good book. No my gears aren't stock. On Nitro 5.29s and chromoly birfs.

Ah nice. It's a really good book. No my gears aren't stock. On Nitro 5.29s and chromoly birfs.

Yea, I skimmed your build thread again and realized you did the Nitros first... Still debating since I'm due for rubber and coils. Think I'd be crazy to do the 5,000 mile round trip on 37's and stock gears? Anybody at high elevation that have lived it care to chime in? I know around my neck of the woods it will be fine, 80's not a race truck and I drive it only occasionally. I'm searching now but from what I can find anyone saying its manageable isn't driving in the mountains.

Yea, I skimmed your build thread again and realized you did the Nitros first... Still debating since I'm due for rubber and coils. Think I'd be crazy to do the 5,000 mile round trip on 37's and stock gears? Anybody at high elevation that have lived it care to chime in? I know around my neck of the woods it will be fine, 80's not a race truck and I drive it only occasionally. I'm searching now but from what I can find anyone saying its manageable isn't driving in the mountains.

I ran 345s (36.5"s) for a year before re-gearing. Yeah it was slow on mountain passes, but its not much faster with 5:29s. You will have no problem driving cross country. If any, you might be able to cruiser at a higher average speed with the stock gears, and get better highway gas mileage! Just be prepared to hang out in the semi lane going over some of the CO passes on I-70.

I never drove mine on 37s and stock gears. It's still a dog even withthe 5.29s. But I'll tell ya, I was on 35s and 5.29s for a few weeks and it felt like a little hot rod! I think you'll be fine. Just don't be afraid to downshift.

Also, I had made a short "movie" of our Rubicon trip. Buried somewhere in my build thread. Gives you a little better feel than pictures alone.

I never drove mine on 37s and stock gears. It's still a dog even withthe 5.29s. But I'll tell ya, I was on 35s and 5.29s for a few weeks and it felt like a little hot rod! I think you'll be fine. Just don't be afraid to downshift.

Also, I had made a short "movie" of our Rubicon trip. Buried somewhere in my build thread. Gives you a little better feel than pictures alone.

Love the video, further instilled my decision to try to locate a set of 345's (anybody know where I can get 5?, backordered everywhere I look with no eta) Also confirmed my thoughts that the Rubicon will not be tackled alone.

I ran 345s (36.5"s) for a year before re-gearing. Yeah it was slow on mountain passes, but its not much faster with 5:29s. You will have no problem driving cross country. If any, you might be able to cruiser at a higher average speed with the stock gears, and get better highway gas mileage! Just be prepared to hang out in the semi lane going over some of the CO passes on I-70.

Thanks for chiming in Bad Religion. I appreciate the info. I've been running 315's on the stock gears for about a year and really like the rubber OD just drop into 3rd in the hills now. If I can continue to do the same and just drop into 2nd in the real high mountain passes that will not bother me a bit. I'll likely only regear to 4.88 next year in an attempt to keep my rubber OD with the 37's. Then if necessary TC gears down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom