RTH Output shaft bearing retainer bolt length? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John Smith

In the garage
SILVER Star
Threads
RTH needed for Output shaft bearing retainer bolt length?

Is there some difference in output shaft bearing retainer bolt lengths based on years? I'm assembling a 4 speed transfer case with a machined double seal bearing retainer I got from Mark A. and my three longer bolts are bottoming out before they snug up. The shorter 13mm bolt that goes in the upper left corner appears to be needed for all four holes as the longer 20mm bolts run out of thread. My guess is this bearing retainer is from a 3 speed case that used all 13mm bolts. Can someone with experience with 3 speed cases please confirm that they use all 13mm length bolts to hold on the parking brake backer plate?
IMG_3605.jpg

Last edited:
Why not measure the depth of each hole and use the appropriate length bolt?

Why not measure the depth of each hole and use the appropriate length bolt?

You are looking at the stock length bolts for the 4 speed bearing retainer I removed. They don't work for this retainer. Only a 13mm length bolt will work in all four positions. I would like to know if three speed cases only used 13mm bolts in all four positions. If so, I will need to cut down bolts or source 13mm bolts to finish this project. Not something I was planning on having to do.

Have you ran a 8 x 1.25 tap into those threaded holes and then blown out anything that remained after chasing them with the tap?

Have you ran a 8 x 1.25 tap into those threaded holes and then blown out anything that remained after chasing them with the tap?

Yes. All the holes are only drilled and tapped to the 13mm depth. When the three longer bolts wouldn't screw all the way in the first thing I did was run a tap down and thought WTF, the holes aren't deep enough to begin with. Do you see a problem with running 13mm bolts in all the holes, or should I drill the other three deeper and tap larger? Is this some "early" bearing retainer or should they all be the same and this is some anomaly?

The parts books show 1- 16mm and 3- 20mm bolts for 1960's models,
and 1-13mm and 3- 20mm for 69-later.

Then I have no idea what is up with this bearing retainer. I put a pick into each hole and they are about 15mm deep. There is no way a 20mm bolt was ever in those holes. So should I drill and tap larger or run 13mm bolts all around? Or option three, toss this retainer aside and source another?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom