RTH- "melted" EFI fuse, won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wife drove to the market on the way home from work in the 97 LC. Once she went to leave the market, it wouldn't start.

It acts like a dead battery, but I tried jumping to no avail.

Checked fuses and the 15A EFI fuse is melted (not necessarily blown). It appears that the prongs that the blades sit in were gapped to large on the left (front of the vehicle). I did what I could with the leatherman to get them back into making good contact, but still no start.

Engine tries to turn over, so not the starter. However, it doesn't try very hard (no full engine rotation).

Battery is a 31 group new this spring. Has been working great.

I'll bring my Blackberry along as I go back to the market to work on it, so any help is most appreciated.

I'll check voltage first thing.

I'm thinking the increased resistance might have fried a fuseable link.:confused:

Thanks in advance for the help.

Nick

Check the fusible links as well.

EDIT: oops, missed the last past you are looking at them. I have smoked mine before and replaced with just some crappy wire to get me home.

Fusible links are good, as are other fuses.

Voltage is good under load as well.

I'm wondering if the starter motor might be junk. It won't even turn over just clicking.

FYI, I replaced the starter contacts about two years ago.

OK, I towed it down to my shop.

I tried turning it over again. A single labored crank followed by clicking. I think I'm gonna pull the starter and bench test it.

Check and clean the connections at the battery terminals, and try to measure the resistance in the positive starter lead and the negative engine block lead (the big 4 guage wires). Other than that, it sounds like you're on the right track with the starter.

OK, I'm a knuclehead and didn't start with the simple things first.

All of my connections at my battery terminals looked OK. To define OK, there is no visible corrosion build up, etc.

I jiggled my main positive lead and got the Cruiser to start fine once, then it went back to it's schtick.

So I pulled both termials and all connections. Still no visible corrosion, dirt, etc.

Then I sprayed them all down with battery cleaner and protector. I hooked everything back up, and VOILA, problem solved...:rolleyes::meh:

KISS keep It Simple Stupid, glad it was somthing simple....I completely pulled apart my Honda generator when it wouldn't start only to find out it has a low oil sensor (yes it was a little low) that was keeping it from starting.

OK, I'm a knuclehead and didn't start with the simple things first.

All of my connections at my battery terminals looked OK. To define OK, there is no visible corrosion build up, etc.

I jiggled my main positive lead and got the Cruiser to start fine once, then it went back to it's schtick.

So I pulled both termials and all connections. Still no visible corrosion, dirt, etc.

Then I sprayed them all down with battery cleaner and protector. I hooked everything back up, and VOILA, problem solved...:rolleyes::meh:

Glad you got it fixed :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom