RTH: Key Won't Go Into Ignition (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTV

SILVER Star
Threads
Currently the key only goes in a couple mm and comes to a dead stop.
FB63A2CF-62F8-4080-8AC8-0F70C2BC1C36.jpeg

Doing preventative maintenance on my ‘07 LC. I’m working on replacing the bracket assembly for the steering column, I came across this post here that explained how to replace just the cam/rod instead of the entire assembly. Seemed like the way to go as I didn’t feel the need to fuss with removing the entire assembly and its anti theft bolts.
@parnoren said, “Now remove the key cylinder by inserting the key to the ON (or somewhere between ON and Acc) position and push a small screwdriver or a small punch in to the whole underneath the housing to release the key cylinder.”

The hole underneath the housing looks like this (new bracket for reference).
image.jpg

On my truck there’s this white plastic connector in the way, so I start to fiddle with getting it out of the way.
5A51B923-7D2D-4F30-A0D8-688B3D64D10E.jpeg

I get it to slide a bit towards the rear of the vehicle and suddenly the electric steering tilt mechanism comes to life as if I put the key into the ignition, but the key is not in the ignition. I push it back, it clicks into place and the steering wheel retracts to its normal position when the key isn’t in the ignition.

I realize then that he must have meant this hole on top of the housing(?)
image.jpg

I then attempt to put my key in and it goes nowhere. WTF did I do? Any idea where to go from here?

Guess I missed the post for 2003+ trucks here, a bit too late now.

Super frustrated, the only thing I can think of is to take the whole column out and hand it to a locksmith? Any ideas at all??

Ok, I got the key in and lock cylinder out. For some reason the piece that is supposed to slide out of the way when your key enters was not sliding. I had to push it (a lot harder than I would have liked) out of the way with a pick then I was able to get the key in. Not sure if what I was doing before had anything to do with it or not but I’m going to keep an eye on this.
798D9AD2-9690-44E2-AD6C-20E66CE7B451.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom