RTH: Died on the road. Cranks, seems to have fuel, Won't start. 3fe '89 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alternator and battery --good ? Mike

I forgot to state that my ALT was replaced a few years ago (chasing another issue) and it's a denso. I'm pretty sure if I put in a new alt, I'd have the same issue, and if I put in the alt I have in storage, that one would test fine as well.

UPDATE: Well, I ambled down the road to the neighbors a little while ago. It fired up, stalled, fired up, ran for a minute. Hit the FWD button to back out of my icy spot and it died. Hmmm. Fired it up again and it stayed running. Let it warm up and drive it home.

If I have time, I'll see if it's spouting any codes. CEL did not come on. All I did was swap out my coil from and FJ60 and I don't think that was the issue. Perhaps just letting it sit out in the rainy cold did something.

Color me perplexed for now. Appreciate everybody's input.

http://www.sor.com/shared/image/022_ele.gif

Long shot here. But this stumped me for a week.

After fiddling with plugs, wires, coil, igniter, got a used distributor and got ready to put it in, when I noticed that the signal generator wire (#70) above, was barely connected, just sitting on top of the spades. Plugged it in tight, and it fired right up.

Takes some serious effort to get that plug to connect and stay that way.

To remote crank, use a jumper from the battery +ive to the starter solenoid terminal. Key must be "on" to get spark. Unfortunately 62's don't have a starter relay in the engine compartment.

Or, much easier, have a helper crank it over with the key.

After fiddling with plugs, wires, coil, igniter, got a used distributor and got ready to put it in, when I noticed that the signal generator wire (#70) above, was barely connected, just sitting on top of the spades. Plugged it in tight, and it fired right up.

Oh, that looks like something to look at. Thanks. It stalled a few times yesterday on the property. Truck park at all sorts of angles and dead flat. Just cuts or stumbles - definitely spark/electrical related as opposed to fuel.

To remote crank, use a jumper from the battery +ive to the starter solenoid terminal. Key must be "on" to get spark. Unfortunately 62's don't have a starter relay in the engine compartment.

I'll look into that. Gonna need that for a valve adjust anyhow I think.
Or, much easier, have a helper crank it over with the key.

Well, I jiggled that part. I couldn't see it perfectly in the light that I had or the chance to climb in and look squarely at it. It seemed ok. As in, ok means that it was seated and not coming off. So I left it.

Did the same things on the property as yesterday (all sorts of turning it off and on aat odd angles and on the flat areas) and the engine only stumbled once. That was when I had heard the PS pump groan for a half second.

This is the second PS pump I've had. THe first was the one the PO sold it to me with. It kept losing fluid and I bought another used one. That has the same issue, just less. I've never traced the fluid and where it goes.

I dunno. But she acted fine today with respect to keeping running. I just thought I'd toss in a a few data points. I doubt the PS issue is it. But I oughta track down that leaking issue. I even bought a Volvo 240 pump with proper pulley, just need to find somebody to sell/make me a bracket (this is an FJ62, so diff than a 60) or perhaps my pump is not the issue. Just lost. So I thought I'd mention the howling of the PS pump on a cutoff/stumble...

Have you considered that it may be an intermittent fuel pump? I would not rule out the trigger in the dizzy or the igniter, when EFI engines get old, I have an 86 4Runner, problems like this will creep up. Another thought is that the coil could be shorting out as it heats up, let's not forget that the way you shut off a gas engine is to ground out the coil. Other things to consider... Fuel pressure regulator, bad fuel pump, shorting out coil, faulty igniter, faulty dizzy trigger, worn out spark plug wires, cracked dizzy cap and or a clogged fuel filter.

Too many people like to suspect a cold start injector, a cold start injector only comes into play at cold temps, like 40deg and below an most certainty NOT during a warm restart. When an injector has pressurized fuel to it and receives a signal to pulse it squirts fuel, unlike a carb that needs air drawn across a Venturi. A cold start injector is ONLY pulsed during COLD temps when the ECU feels an enriched start is required, and then only for a very brief time, once the Engine has started the fast idle circuit, aux air valve, idle air valve...etc, will keep the RPMs up to warm the engine up to proper temps.

Good luck

Have you considered that it may be an intermittent fuel pump? I would not rule out the trigger in the dizzy or the igniter, when EFI engines get old, I have an 86 4Runner, problems like this will creep up. Another thought is that the coil could be shorting out as it heats up, let's not forget that the way you shut off a gas engine is to ground out the coil. Other things to consider... Fuel pressure regulator, bad fuel pump, shorting out coil, faulty igniter, faulty dizzy trigger, worn out spark plug wires, cracked dizzy cap and or a clogged fuel filter.

Too many people like to suspect a cold start injector, a cold start injector only comes into play at cold temps, like 40deg and below an most certainty NOT during a warm restart. When an injector has pressurized fuel to it and receives a signal to pulse it squirts fuel, unlike a carb that needs air drawn across a Venturi. A cold start injector is ONLY pulsed during COLD temps when the ECU feels an enriched start is required, and then only for a very brief time, once the Engine has started the fast idle circuit, aux air valve, idle air valve...etc, will keep the RPMs up to warm the engine up to proper temps.

Good luck
I am sorry but what do you mean by a dizzy trigger? i too have the same and going to investigate what you posted. but was wondering what you meant by dizzy trigger. LOL:eek:

Same story here. I'm done changing out parts on my 90 fj62. Plugs,wires,coil, and fuel filter. Cleaned the fuel pump wire in the rear left fender well. Alt charges good new battery. Cleaned all grounds and fusible links. Comp test was between 143-150 psi. The last thing I will switch out is the igniter. I thought these trucks was built tough. If it ever starts again I'm terrified to drive across town. I have a super Toyota manual here that goes far behind the fsm posted.

image-2218751826.jpg
image-2218751826.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom