RTH - 80 series Rear Caliper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OffRoad Rage

Dry Roasted in the Desert
SILVER Star
Threads
Shot in the dark here, anyone have an 80 series rear caliper that would be core worthy? Had major failure on one of our 80s - yes there will be pics posted - but I need a core to turn in because I'm having to go aftermarket. Apparently the new/reman Toyota units are scarce and currently unavailable inside a week.

Thanks!
-Norm

Sorry I don't over here. What is the core charge on it if you have to pay? They can be all over the board price wise

The consensus aftermarket choice on the board is to go NAPA, and their cores are $83.33. Proud of those cores! The remans are only $50.

As promised, pictures of the brake carnage.

So it's making a noise huh? You don't say.

It's only wafer thin.

Is the piston cup supposed to do all the stopping?

FJ80 RR OuterPad.jpg

FJ80 RCaliper2.jpg

FJ80 RCaliper1.jpg

FJ80 RRotor.jpg

To clarify, this is my son's 80 that we purchased from another club member (who shall remain nameless) and "allegedly" had the truck checked out not long ago.

Below is the finished product with a Reman-Toyota caliper that I had to get from Dealer X because they would expedite (next day). Soooooo shiney!! It was extremely reasonably priced if you ever need to go that way and no charge for the overnight.

FJ80 RR Brake w_remanCaliper.jpg

To clarify, this is my son's 80 that we purchased from another club member (who shall remain nameless) and "allegedly" had the truck checked out not long ago.

Below is the finished product with a Reman-Toyota caliper that I had to get from Dealer X because they would expedite (next day). Soooooo shiney!! It was extremely reasonably priced if you ever need to go that way and no charge for the overnight.

View attachment 1718116
Not sure who it was and don't really want to get into that but maybe it was" checked" out. Is a possibility that the caliper started sticking? How did the pads look on the other side? Any issues with brake lines being kinked causing the pain to not release? How many miles since purchase? You don't typically have one side wear that much faster than the other with out an underlying issue.

My comments were meant as a friendly dig, no ill will. :hillbilly: The rears were all slap-wore-out, pads were within 5% of each other. I don't suspect any malfunction of the calipers, hoses, proportioning valves, etc.. This just happened to be the poor pad that got to metal first. Ultimately it was my bad for not doing my own base-lining on the rig which has now been accomplished.

I primarily wanted to share because in all my years of wrenching and working in shops I never have seen a disc pad liberate itself from the clips to expose the caliper cup which then became the wear surface. Just when you think you've seen it all . . . . .

I've seen that a few times. Once on my own 80. It happened on the return trip from Glamis. We were able to switch the inner pad with the outer pad to keep it from slipping out again and drive on home. It seems there is just enough space to let a totally worn out pad slip between the caliper and a worn rotor. Mine took a little bite out of the rotor on its way out though.

My comments were meant as a friendly dig, no ill will. :hillbilly: The rears were all slap-wore-out, pads were within 5% of each other. I don't suspect any malfunction of the calipers, hoses, proportioning valves, etc.. This just happened to be the poor pad that got to metal first. Ultimately it was my bad for not doing my own base-lining on the rig which has now been accomplished.

I primarily wanted to share because in all my years of wrenching and working in shops I never have seen a disc pad liberate itself from the clips to expose the caliper cup which then became the wear surface. Just when you think you've seen it all . . . . .
Gotcha.... I have seen it more times than you would think or hope to see. I have seen both pads missing and one side of the rotor paper thin and the other worn all the way though to only the fins. It's amazing what people can accomplish when their level of give a s*** is at a zero.

As promised, pictures of the brake carnage.

So it's making a noise huh? You don't say.

It's only wafer thin.

Is the piston cup supposed to do all the stopping?

View attachment 1717721

View attachment 1717722

View attachment 1717723

View attachment 1717724
Ha! It’s not just me! My PS rear pad backing plate had dropped out and the piston took over without ever making a noise when I got my 80. There’s a pic early on in my 80 thread that I’m too lazy to fetch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom