RT Help needed - Front Inner Wheel Bearing Oil Seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have my fronts apart and can't get the oil seal out of the hub to get the inner bearing out... trying not so whack the bearing with a drift.

Is there a trick to getting this thing out I am missing? I read the FAQ, did I overlook?

Thanks.

Here's a nifty trick that I know works on mini-trucks and earlier Cruiser, I would bet it would work with an 80-series too. Take all the big nuts off the spindle, pull the outer bearing out, leaving the hub on the spindle. Screw one big nut back on the end of the spindle, you don't need to tighten it, just so it's fully threaded. Grab the brake rotor at 3:00 and 9:00 positions, give it a quick YANK outwards. The big nut should fit thru the middle of the hub, but catch the inner bearing. It might take a few hits, but eventually the inner seal will pop right out of the wheel hub, undamaged.

I always just do a little tapping witha drift or big screwdriver, even re-se the bearings sometimes. Just did it today as a matter of fact!

with the hub on the bench i just lever it up and out with a big flat screw driver. no drifting required.

Here's a nifty trick that I know works on mini-trucks and earlier Cruiser, I would bet it would work with an 80-series too. Take all the big nuts off the spindle, pull the outer bearing out, leaving the hub on the spindle. Screw one big nut back on the end of the spindle, you don't need to tighten it, just so it's fully threaded. Grab the brake rotor at 3:00 and 9:00 positions, give it a quick YANK outwards. The big nut should fit thru the middle of the hub, but catch the inner bearing. It might take a few hits, but eventually the inner seal will pop right out of the wheel hub, undamaged.

This is what I always do and it works. learned from the USAF doing field:wrench: repairs on munitions trailers. To place the new seal I use a piece of 2x4,place the seal where it supposed to go, and then place the 2x4 on the flat side. Tap lightly on the 2x4 with a hammer until the seal goes in flush, again, Jose's field repairs manual.

PS: Don't forget the grease! :)

:cheers:

Thanks for all the help guys... just concerned about putting undue pressure on the bearings.

As always, thanks for the advice.

I have my fronts apart and can't get the oil seal out of the hub to get the inner bearing out... trying not so whack the bearing with a drift.

Is there a trick to getting this thing out I am missing? I read the FAQ, did I overlook?

Thanks.

I used a brass drift to tap the race out, which pushed the bearing and seal out....used a seal tool loaner from autoparts store to put back in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom