rover with cruiser guts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I an into this guy this afternoon and he was driving a series III rover (i think). You know, the wagons, from the 80s i think. Anyway, he comes over and starts checking out my cruiser and we get to talking. He has FJ62 axles with toy lockers underneath it and he is running the toyota 5 speed with a with a brand new (12,000mi) 2f. I asked him where he got the motor and he had it built for him (so it is not new, I guess). ANyway, he switched to the cruiser bits because he exploded 2 rover diffs. I looked under it and he wasn't yanking my chain. there they were in all their glory, LC axles and drivetrain. He said he had 4:1 gears in the t-case too and judging by all the other stuff done, i am inclined to believe it. It was very cool indeed. Must have had 12k in mods, wonder why he didn't just buy a 62

I had a think about doing the same to one of my series' but once i got to thinking, i figured i would change out the entire underside of the car, and then i may as well change out the topside as well, which would make it a cruiser. So i stopped dreaming, everything about the cruisers is better than the series. So if you have a series, you may as well keep it a series, or just sell it to buy a cruiser.

sam

"So if you have a series, you may as well keep it a series, or just sell it to buy a cruiser."

i always thought you were a rover guy at heart. this shocked the sh!t outa me

i like driving both for sure, but there is no doubt about which is less painfull to drive, faster, stronger, quieter, more comfy and pulls lantana better. Even after all that i still like the landies, and i dont know why. Maybe i'm going insane.

Rover owners most sought after part [apart from the drip tray...]

Retro fit bonnet hinge grease nipples...... :D

think about it....... ;)

i thought about it

and i like it. although one must ask if they would be better to A remove the hood or b just let it seize while up :)

you probably like the land rover still s79, because even pain in the ass cars (like my 40) still grow on you. still have character

Don't know much about Series running gear, but I have always thought that Disco axles w/the coil suspension under a LC would be cool ;)

Disco axles w/the coil suspension under a LC would be cool

please go flog yourself with a large wrench. :) disco axles ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? disco coils???? hmmm do you want someone saying "ohh look at the cute suspension." sorry, but subbing good japanese truck parts for questionable british car parts? could go 80 series coils.

"anti rover suit off"

I know....I know....I didn't mean to be blastfimus(sp) but on the other hand my bro owns a '97 disco with ARB's front and Rear. Wheels it pretty hard and no breakage.

You still get offset Diffs, still get Birfs, and you get coils. Never looked into the specs on them, but his tubes look bigger and he has a FF Rear. His flexes much more than stock 40s. Like mine :)

Not sure, but there are a lot more soccer mom's in my town that own Dicsos than own 80s. I figure that the axles may be cheaper to get a hold of from a parts yard.

Just a thought.....

Disco axles are weak. I know a few people down here with them, anything too tuff and the splines strip. Stay away... I also own a 110 Defender, same running gear as the Disco.... Already stripped my splines. Go for the 80 axles with coils, much better choice.

woo hoo i was right.... don't know why my post has so many question mark smilies. i didn't type that.

i heard on the grape vine that stock disco's have poorer flex than their IFS compeditors, probably due to overly restrictive anti roll bars. just an observation

everytime i have seen a disco offroad, they look ready to tip over. they are pretty tall bodied, and that extra roof section makes them look huge

Keep in mind the Disco my Brother has is not "the average" Disco.

He has a 4' OME lift/springs under it with ARB's front and back....it is pretty flexy. Even w/ the sway bars connected.

Id take a cruiser or any yota 4x4 over a landrover, or any of those foreign supposedly off road vehicles.

70LC,

Like I said in my orginal post....I wasn't compairing it to a cruiser :D

I'm still running the oem 10 splines with ARBs since '99 on my RRC. Granted they're weaker than my 80 axles but going easy on the go pedal and staying 32" MT/Rs have kept them going! I always gobble up spare 10 splines from friends as they upgrade to 24 splines from GBR. But, so far still on the oem axles and it's been through Moab, Co, and Ca abuse during the last few years. I'm waiting for that famous "snap" to occur one of these days!

The RR and D1 and D2 all have that tippy look to them. What helps with the CG is the fact that they're alum bodied and in my case alum roofed. Most of the weight is concentrated on the chassis so tipping is contolled pretty well. However, they have terrible sway bar diam so they drive like an old Caddy. Even with big lifts, I bet you can get 40 deg out of them but your APF will be maxed out way before then! Newer coiled D2 does drive much better that my RRC. People are holding out for the last of the D2 with solid front axle and a 4.6 bonus engine coming out next year I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom