Rough Start after sitting for a couple hours (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used my block tester to check my 80 before I bought it.

Nice to have for vehicles with an unknown history.

I used my block tester to check my 80 before I bought it.

Nice to have for vehicles with an unknown history.

Just curious, how many miles are on that truck, Eli?

Thanks Mark & Justin...188K...I've started turning the key off/on about 7-8 times each time before starting and it seems somewhat better...it makes me think fuel pump, but it may just be a fluke...

Lol...no I haven't Josh, for Mark's reason

Pulled the plugs today...1-2 first picture, 3-4 second picture, 5-6 third picture

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I don't claim to be an expert on 80 series but I'm going to put my vote in for fuel pump/filter.

If you do replace the filter, do yourself a favor and dremel a slot for the bolt nearest the manifold. That way you don't have to fish the bolt through the filter. Just slide the filter on the bolt and tighten. Fuel pump isn't that hard to get to. You just have to take out the middle seat. My 80 had a replacement pump.

I'm now wondering whether it might be related to the crank sensor or a flywheel related issue...since I did the poor man's crank seal and oil pump seal replacement using a 3/4 inch breaker bar attached to the flywheel to bust the crank bolt loose...or a timing issue...I've seen some people also describe an engine kickback due to bad timing...what a freaking rabbit hole...

Those plugs look ok to me. I would try the fuel filter next. Tackle the service items before you start throwing parts at it that normally don't fail.

No, but you need to be of Japanese descent to get to it...

I ll tell you guys how bad I hate doing these filters....I charge 2 hours to do it. It is a frigin nitemare and I have found no way to make putting the metal drop line and its banjo fitting on any easier in 20 years. The front line you can remove with the filter by loosening the fitting on the fender but the back one....

the designer at Toyota that thought that was okay and approved it, should be publicly flogged

Ok...since I put the same plugs back in to the same cylinders that they came out of hasn't repeated the issue...don't ya just love a good rabbit hole...

Ive got a 80 up here now that is doing the ole miss on a few alternating cylinders and we've, so far, thrown around 5 hours and 3oo bucks at it. We changed plugs, wires, filter, cap and rotor...so im beginning to lean towards dirty injectors.

Well...Probably bad luck to post this, but what the hay...changed the fuel filter the other day (actually not as bad as I thought it would be)...anyway, the truck hasn't repeated the hard start since I did it...

Thanks guys...I'll post up more if it repeats itself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom