Rough idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK Mud braintrust, I have a puzzle for all of you.

Synopsis: I have a rough idle and throwing the following codes: P0125- Insufficient cooling temperature for closed loop, P0300- Powertrain random / multiple cylinder misfire detected, P0308 - Powertrain cylinder 8 misfire, and occasionally, P0302.

Vehicle- 2000 LX, +/- 230K miles

More information

In preparation for towing our camper to Yellowstone from Colorado I replaced the AC compressor, condenser, front and rear evaporators (I am including this because I could have knocked a wire loose, forgot to reattach something etc and want to give you any variables). I had the system recharged and the AC system is working great. I cleaned the engine bay with Simple Green and Purple Power (could have had H2O problems with electronics). Oil change, and transmission filter and fluid replacement (dropped the pan obviously). Everything seemed to be functioning right where it should be, no codes, lights etc.

On the drive up through Wyoming I started to get a blinking then steady check engine light (CEL) and VSC TRAC and VSC OFF lights. A couple of times I could feel misfires as I was driving but that was very transitory. As we were driving through the park- not pulling the camper, and times pulling the camper, the, the lights would disappear for hours or even days.

When we returned, I searched MUD and did the following: I had a pretty persistent valve cover oil leak on the driver's side so I replaced both. The gaskets were worse than I would have predicted, brittle as hard plastic. Several of the spark plug tubes were saturated in oil and they all got replaced with the gasket kit. Replaced all spark plugs and number 8 coil pack. Cleared codes, started the truck and... you guessed it, P0300, P0308, P0125.

The only other thing I can add is that it looks like someone broke the connector on one of the temp sensors and spliced a wire in. I could have knocked this "solution" loose. Pictures below.

Thanks in advance.
Cameron
20190625_101623.jpg
20190625_101636.jpg

P0125 sounds like a coolant (temperature) problem and that wiring 'fix' looks horrendous. However, the attached P0125 diagnostics info has one check the oxygen sensors. I'm wondering if this description is not correct in the FSM. But maybe worth a check to follow that tree in the document?

Does the coolant temperature match the readings, at least roughly? I.e. warmed up engine ~190 F and initial outside temperature at startup?

Attachments

• cip0125.pdf
    60.8 KB · Views: 67

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom