Builds Rotw - Pkp80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phipsi.net
Make you all wait a little and get hungry for a new ROTW.
The ride starts now.

As far back as I can remember my family has always had some sort of truck/SUV. In 1993 the folks leased a white 80, fully loaded, locked and all (one of you may be driving it today). When the lease was up they got a 96 FZJ80 black (no lockers).

I was only 15 when the truck came into my life, but the 93 had prepped me and had me ready to go. I learned to drive with it, washed it, waxed it, and took care of her like she was my own all the way through till the lease was up.

The parents gave the car back regardless of what I said or did and for a few months there was no FZJ80, I was crushed. I ended up finding her at the used Toyota lot and re leasing myself a few monthes after thanks to a good job.

My first time taking her out was in Pismo with a few school friends.
PICT0039.JPG

Last edited:
My 80 was headed toward the "bling" zone having had it since High School. I wanted the 24" rims, lowered suspension, with the stereo and all. I started with the stereo, but thank god stopped right there.

A few pics of the stereo setup in the rear.
-(2) 15" kicker Solobaric subwoofers
-Rockford Fosgate 800 a2

Bass was real "cool" back in school and the setup I had was pretty brain rattling.
PICT0206.JPG
Amp & Caps.JPG

So as I graduated my way and started college, I met Ian (RogersFJ40) and Freddie (70RedChev) it wasn't too long after that happened that I realized what my mall cruiser at the time was capable of.

These are a few pics of the 80 at a make shift RTI ramp by the Rail road tracks. The truck is all Stock with the exception of the BFG AT 31" tires.
PICT0112.JPG
PICT0114_edited.JPG
PICT0117.JPG

I first discovered Ih8mud and the toyota world late 2003. A good portion of the wheeling I have done in my rig has been with stock suspension and no lockers.

The experience of knowing how to pick the correct line, having and trusting your spotters, and actual confidence in your rig is all you really need to a certain extent.

A few pics from a Silverwood lake and Gorman run also the good by party for my running boards.
PICT0366.JPG
PICT0297.JPG
PICT0269.JPG

Last edited:
Motivation

My first LC event was SnT 2004. After 2 FJ40's broken down, we stuffed everything into my 80, and 4 hours late we left to sit in 405 traffic up to Pismo, but along the ride up I ran into Silvercruiser and Ammo. Seeing 2 Built 80s I was in AW and figured they had to be heading up to SnT. Seeing all those cruisers and meeting and talking with the hundreds of cruiser fans I was HOOKED.

Discovered the cruiser could "fly" my truck was dubbed by many the "low rider" that year b/c of all of the sound and lack of suspension height.:flipoff2:
PICT0090.JPG
PICT0087.JPG

Nice pics and good write up so far. I like the color and I'm glad you didn't drop it and bling it out.

After the Silverwood lake run, the saving for the OME and tires got serious, I wanted to be able to push the truck harder and do more,
SO:
a Drive over to Man-a-fre one rainy evening provided the lift and we did the trail again soon after and Was there a difference.
adler10-R1-069-33.jpg
PICT0367.JPG

Sam on Miller

I'll contribute these from Sam's trip on Miller Heep Trail unlocked with sliders. He did the whole run without a strap, a testament to his "skillz" :rolleyes: :hillbilly
sam_ds_sliders.jpg
sam_ps_sliders.jpg
jim_jeremy_sam.JPG

The obvious came after the lift and the mangled running boards and that was to get me some Sliders. So I went over to LINK Motorsports in El Segundo and they fabbed up a set of sliders for me. Based off of Ammo's sliders they sit further out than most sliders, have slots for hi-lifting the truck, and also serve as a great side step to help get into the truck.

I also got a set of 33"x9.5x16 Firestone Desination MT and 16x 10 street lock steel rims.
PICT0522.JPG
PICT0509.JPG
PICT0510.JPG

Last edited:
Living in Cali I had to have SOME sort of "bling," enter Safari Snorkel.

Some claim it adds hp, few actually need the thing, but EVERYONE loves it especially women. I have to actually give credit to my snork for sparking a few rewarding conversations with girls I have met.

Can't forget to mention how little kids think it's a submarine.

Was tough cutting that hole, but great outcome.
PICT0585.JPG
PICT0593.JPG
PICT0598.JPG

Last edited:
While I was adding the lift and other goodies I also managed a cb with first a 4ft wilson then when to a 3 foot super slim firestick mounted rather geniously to the rear hatch, but still working out the kicks.

I added an Alpine 7998 HU in the front with 6 3/4 front speakers and 4 " rears. I fiberglassed and custom made the from enclosures and added another amp to power it all.
IMG_6508.jpg
PICT0209.JPG
PICT0404.JPG

As SnT 2005 approached I recalled the infamous night run and overall darkness that needed lighting up when the sun set. So I went with 4 Hella blk magic lights across the front and 2 Hella 550 lights one on each side of the truck.

The blk magics are bolted on a mini light rack I made from steel and mounted to the roof via Confer bull dog clamps and the rear lights are bolted into the roof rack.
IMG_6518.jpg
IMG_6517.jpg
IMG_6522.jpg

Last edited:
My CB antenna mount

Lights are also adjustable for clearance purposes.
IMG_6545.jpg
IMG_6538.jpg
IMG_6516.jpg

The final bit of work I've done on the cruiser leading up to this week was what I hope to be the last I will do to the stereo, which I took out the mulitple amps, farad capacitors, and subwoofers replacing them with one 5-channel Hi-Fonics amps and a small bazooka tube.

I Herculined just the rear cargo area which has been the greatest so far although I was high off the fumes for a week or two.

MY CO2 is also in the rear, which I have had for a while now.
IMG_6528.jpg
IMG_6530.jpg

Hey nice lookin' truck so far...

Couple of quick questions for you,

How do you like the Firestone MT's?
How did you route the wiring for the Hella's on the side of your truck?

:cheers:

I carry the spare tire in the back, along with a full first aid kit, 60,000 lb towing capacity strap, fire extinguisher, blanket, flashlight, bungee cords, ratchet straps, and water.
IMG_6535.jpg
IMG_6527.jpg
IMG_6537.jpg

Last edited:
My rig has no destination, but it's rather one VERY long Journey with several stops.
I am currently at a stand still with the rig b/c it's still my DD, but once I can keep it as my 2nd car the sky is the limit.

Future upgrades just a few:

-MORE lift
-at least 37" tires
-2nd Battery
-ARB lockers
-front and rear bumpers
-custom switch board for inside the truck to control the future lockers, more lights, 2nd battery, etc.
-skid plates

I'm also currently working on a fiberglass enclosure for the PS rear side of the cargo area which is going to house the amp and sub so that no space is lost making room for a drawer system of some sort.
IMG_6512.jpg
IMG_6520.jpg

Last edited:
blupaddler said:
Hey nice lookin' truck so far...

Couple of quick questions for you,

How do you like the Firestone MT's?
How did you route the wiring for the Hella's on the side of your truck?

:cheers:

thnx Blu, I love the MT's. They have good road manners and have performed well off the road. I would rec going wider than 9.5, but no problem on the freeway 80+ at times.

I ran the wires down the side by the snork and into the engine bay zip tied to the snork itself, you can kind of see it in this pic.
Wiring lights.jpg

What rims are those? Price? Location?

That truck looks really good, aren't you glad you got out of high school before you made those 'bling' upgrades or downgrades, however you want to look at it. Nice work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom