Builds Rotw Mjaddiction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the compliments.

This fall weather is nice, and I'm about to take the rig camping for the first time. The 3FE also likes the cooler air.

TN LC we're building in Lebanon TN. Headed to the country. I finally talked my wife into the move. She's a city Girl, I'm just a Country Boy.

I'm building a detatched Garage, that will help with my wrenching, and building of rocksliders, bumpers, tire carrier. I hope to get some of those done this next year.

KillerLC, thanks. All those arguments got me to thinking, well rememberring, how much I liked the Toyotas. I remembered when we had our first daughter, seeing an 80 in our apartment complex. I really liked them then, but they were a little (a lot) out of my price range. Hopefully I'll be looking for another 80 in the next couple of weeks.

Pictures, I'll get those interior shots up tomorrow, and some bling drive-way shots of a cleaned up Cruiser. I'm also going to try out the 38" tires off of the MJ Jeep, same wheel lug pattern.

Added Pictures, Cruiser on 38's

As promised, I took the wheels and tires off of the MJ, and put them on the 80. They fit... well sort of.

These are 38.5x14.40x15 TSL SX's. They are on some 15x10" chrome monster wheels, with a crazy 2"es of back spacing. So, ya, they stick out. My MJ is low for the lift of Jeep Comanches, at about 10"es of lift. I went wider, as it is more stable on the trail.

Now for the Cruiser;

These wheels and tires fit with the "J" lift, and nothing else. If I were to use these for wheeling, which I think they would work I would have to;

-add some bump stops

-ditch the running boards

-I've already trimmed about 2"es off of the front bumper. But turns are hitting the front portion of the running board

-I would add some 1.5" spring spacers to the front.

-I would also trim the interior of the flares. I like the flares, so I wouldn't ditch them.

So, this really makes me want to sell the Comanche, MJ, and I prob. will be doing that soon.

I want to get a roof top tent for the Cruiser. I bought a Military style trailer recently that will also get the roof top tent.

Wheelin will get some slider rocker protection, a rear bumper with tire carrier. I'm not going to wheel it hard with these axles and the 38"s, but I thnk the axles will survive just fine. I have Dana 44's on the Jeep, the front is a low pinion, so the strength between the two axles, Dana 44's and Yotas are comparable. Maybe the Yotas being a little stronger.
I took a spin, the 4:88's do fine up to the MPH of 65 in 3rd gear. I'll do other interstate testing as I get the chance. I will reserve these wheels and tires for off-road trips only.

Enough talk, here are the pics;

CIMG2432.jpg

CIMG2436.jpg

CIMG2433.jpg

CIMG2437.jpg

Here is the dash set-up for now, with the 400 watt inverter, and the Alpine Ipod controler stereo.

CIMG2440.jpg

Didn't get the chance to clean up. I've been out at a dusty house building site. Almost not worth washing at this point.

Thanks for all the compliments. Again, Im very glad I found the Cruiser 80 series!!

Holy meat-on-the-bones! Those tires are boss. I wonder how much each one weighs? Looks like they fit, maybe some rub once flexed out? Maybe a Nov. ride for the TN cruiserheads on this forum? Great looking truck, MJ.
cheers!

Nice rig. Glad to see another 3FE ROTW. Thinking of doing the same thing with the aussie locker rear and arb air locker front. Just need to get the funds together when i put in the 4.88's or 5.29's

cheers.

if you think they rub a lil on the streets wait till you get em offroad. they gonna rub like a fat kids thighs once flexed up a lil.

great looking 80 I have talked my girl into us getting one and her learning to wheel in it:grinpimp::grinpimp:

some reason she doesnt wanna roll the 60 cause its a stick. even though she can drive one just fine and has even driven the 60... oh well

Good-looking rig, and a cute little daughter! She is almost as cute as mine! Your kid is beautiful, and the rig will do OK!
It is well to see a FJ towing a boat. My 80 is slow as is with 35's. I started 20 years ago with an 1800 VW long-travel suspension Desert Baja pulling a light trailer. I went to a short-back 2600 4-cyl Montero that would climb trees, but had no power on the highway. I used a 4x8 trailer with it. Now I have a stock 80 with 3" lift and 35's. I use almost the same trailer, and can pull at real speed on steep hills on the highway. It is still slow, but a lot better. I will never give in to the V-8 thing!

Thanks for all the compliments. I do love this 80.
B Macgyver, I think your right on the v-8 thing. I keep getting a littl impatient on the speed thing with the 80, as I'm used t V-8 sound and power.
I went camping this weekend with my B-In-Law and our kids (5 of them). He has a VW Westfalia (that used to be mine), and that thing really lacks power, but makes up for it in character. The 80 is a lot like that, especially the early ones with the 3FE. I've gotten more complements on the 80 than anything I have ever owned. When I drive it, I do so with a smile on my face all the time. I really like the "J" spring feel to the 80 now. After camping this weekend I've decided to continue with the expedition camping theme, as that is where my life seems to fit in. The girls are getting older, and I want to spend lots of time with them. My wild wheelin' days are over for the time being. I just don't want to run trails like I used to , anymore. Am I getting old? I still do love the hum of the TSL's though.

So, the MJ is getting sold soon, and the 80 will be getting some more expedition gear.

The last couple of weeks I've put a ton of miles on the 80. I really only wish for one thing, and thats better gas milleage. That's the only reason to think a V-8 might be a good alternative to the rebuild of the 3FE. But, my 80 sure has plenty of character... just the way it is.

i like the looks of the bigger tires, my wife would kill me if i mention that idea to her, glad to hear the camping went well

Nice rig, loving the big wheel look.

I'll be going with a similar setup. 38.5/15/16 boggers , 16 X 10 rims but not sure on the back spacing. Are you running exactly 2"BS? I'm thinking either 4" or go with a 2.75" which I'm leaning to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom