ROTM ll September (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been debating running either the 35-10.5 SSRs or the Q-78-15s, I was wondering what your thoughts were since you have run both? With the Q-78 does the truck feel like it wants to tip more? Thanls, nice rig.

He had them custom made, I think he should gat a patent
on them and go into production. A half top like that would
sell.
The half cab was originally a Kayline/STC oem reproduction full top that I cut down and modified to fit the full roll cage. I've thought about reproducing the half cab set up but would need to build it around the oem roll bar to make it viable. I plan on pulling the current roll cage to build a new one with more head room sometime this summer. When I do that I'll temporarily install an oem roll bar and will work on a half cab design that works with it and the oem soft top bows.

I have been debating running either the 35-10.5 SSRs or the Q-78-15s, I was wondering what your thoughts were since you have run both? With the Q-78 does the truck feel like it wants to tip more? Thanls, nice rig.
I liked both sets of tires on the truck, although they are totally different animals. I ran the SSR's for about 4 years and they wear like iron. Wheeled them hard and they held up well with lots of tread left when I sold them. There were a couple slices in the side walls from sharp rocks but nothing into the casing. The tires conform very well to rocks when aired down, provide a great highway ride, are good in the rain due to the sipes, and were quieter than a set of BFG muds I used to have. They were also noticeably more slippery on wet rocks and logs than the Q's. I'll probably get another set of the SSR's at some point as they are a great all around tire.

The Q's are a great tire for off road use if you like a narrow tire. They are much better than the SSR's due to tread depth and spacing and being a bias ply. Awesome in the rocks especially if you sipe them which makes a big difference in their performance off road and on wet pavement. I have heard that some say the feel tippy but this has not been my experience. They are much louder than the SSR's on the road, not as good on wet pavement, and take a while to round out after sitting.

Overall, I like them both for different uses. For a truck that mostly sees off road use I would go with the Q's. But if you do a lot of highway driving to and from trails the SSR's would be a good choice.

How do you plan on using the tires?

Some rocks, lots of Southern California freeways to get to said rocks but mostly tamer stuff. I have a 15 month old daughter so for awhile it is going to be more camping and trail riding than anything else.

There's a special type of balancing "BB" that is coated so it won't rust. You can balance a bias-ply with these and get a pretty good ride. I can't remember who was telling me about them, but I'll try and dig up the name.

Balancing "BB"?

They balanced up nicely. It's the flat spots from sitting for long periods of time that's a PITA. The tire has to heat up and be run for a few miles before the ride smooths out.

... the poor 40 has been neglected.

Not half as much as the one in your avitar I hope.... dude that is just sick :grinpimp:

Where'd ya find that poor thing?

:popcorn:

LOL. I think it's a true forest green. Makes gardening look compelling.

Found the photo online years ago.
MossyCruisersMUD.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom