ROTM April - Pyeatt Payson AZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks @Chrismanjs for organizing the run!

Some pics from the end of the line
7D_23537-small.jpg
7D_23547-small.jpg
7D_23560-small.jpg
7D_23564-small.jpg
7D_23565-small.jpg

thanks Again CJ and Alyssa for the great trip!

Many great features of this run
* the fastest Ive been though Payette. It wasn't fast more than there just weren't massive delays, CJ kept the group moving.
* While the main group was gone, Abigail ran camp security from "Crouching Bear - Hidden Creeper"
* Dimples and wife ran the camp Chuckwagon and as usual supplied amazing food!
* Diesel kept his good humor even though his valve stem had the tip cut off it by a sharp rock and had to change his tire in the slot.
* Richard and Kyle stopped by in their built 80's for a night run up Payette and stopped to visit before and after.
* The only time Ive seen a club member make it up the waterfall - with a little guidance from Saddletramp, Lauren took care of business!

Lots of laughs and good company in some fantastic weather . Thanks to everyone that helped make this one to remember ~

Always a fun trip. Wish the trail was about twice as long (maybe run it in reverse next time?). Found out that 315-75x16 Nitto TGs at ZERO PSI work great on a lightweight 4Runner. Also the "fire under the hood" o_O from a seized AC compressor coil makes for interesting lane changes into the WalMart parking lot. Pics later.

Always a fun trip. Wish the trail was about twice as long (maybe run it in reverse next time?). Found out that 315-75x16 Nitto TGs at ZERO PSI work great on a lightweight 4Runner. Also the "fire under the hood" o_O from a seized AC compressor coil makes for interesting lane changes into the WalMart parking lot. Pics later.

Wow Marc, hope everything was ok.

It is now... a little scary there. Nothing like smoke coming out of the hood to get your attention.

I hope it was just smoke from the belt.

The belt was fried, also this is the coil afterwards. Compressor housing boiled water on contact. Yeah it was kinda hot.
IMG_7920_zpscprle2gz.jpg

IMG_7910_zpsg1vv8qgn.jpg

IMG_7904_zpsxzrawygh.jpg

IMG_7897_zpsgkppudum.jpg

IMG_7891_zpsu4umtm27.jpg
IMG_7888_zpszzgd3zf7.jpg
IMG_7901_zpsz5svrvfi.jpg

Excellent Run, thank you to @Chrismanjs for the spotting (and rock stacking)! Still amazed at how capable these trucks are out of the box. I learned a lot more about my truck and why trimmed mud flaps are a necessity for sharp ascension work. Nothing some JB Weld and a few new flare clips won't fix. :rofl:

Great gumbo from @Dimples and perfect weather for a nice escape from the Phoenix heat. The kids had a great time and I crammed in a lot of much needed Field R&D to get my camping load-out situated. Thank you to all for the great time! :bounce:

Found out that 315-75x16 Nitto TGs at ZERO PSI - what happen?

Marc's tires weren't flexing at 10 psi and after playing with them ended up going to zero to get about the same flex (or less actually) as I did at 10psi on the 40.

He was saying that 35s in an 8 ply are too stiff of a sidewall for that light of a truck . He mentioned that he is thinking of going to 17's so he can drop to a 6 ply which are more flexible. After seeing his results, I agree!

Marc's tires weren't flexing at 10 psi and after playing with them ended up going to zero to get about the same flex (or less actually) as I did at 10psi on the 40.

He was saying that 35s in an 8 ply are too stiff of a sidewall for that light of a truck . He mentioned that he is thinking of going to 17's so he can drop to a 6 ply which are more flexible. After seeing his results, I agree!

Yes. I was really surprised to try the 2x2 air-down test. At zero PSI the tire is almost an inch off the ground (in the rear). So I decided to just let all the air out once on the trail. Since these tires are load range D and are rated to carry 3500 ponds at 50 PSI (oddly, Nitto doesn't list a weight carrying capacity at zero PSI) :hmm: and my entire truck weighs just 3300 or so with no top, it's not surprising. Those sidewalls are surprisingly stiff. So, a tire / wheel change is probably in the future.

Yes. I was really surprised to try the 2x2 air-down test. At zero PSI the tire is almost an inch off the ground (in the rear). So I decided to just let all the air out once on the trail. Since these tires are load range D and are rated to carry 3500 ponds at 50 PSI (oddly, Nitto doesn't list a weight carrying capacity at zero PSI) :hmm: and my entire truck weighs just 3300 or so with no top, it's not surprising. Those sidewalls are surprisingly stiff. So, a tire / wheel change is probably in the future.

Wow shows why the sidewalls are so tuff on the Nittos

Note - I have refined the air down test to a measured 1.25 x 1.25 I have found a 2x2 (measured 1.625 x 1.625 was to big for an average)

Curiosity has the best of me. Care to explain this test?

It's Phil's idea, but basically you jack up one wheel. Place a 2x2 (not sure if that's "dimensional lumber" size actually a 1.5" x 1.5" so I used a 1x2 on top which totalled a real 2"). Lower the tire onto the 2x2. Start letting air out. When the tire touches the ground on both sides of the 2x2, that's your optimum trail pressure.

When I did this, I had almost an inch of daylight between the ground and the tire. I went ahead and pulled the valve stem core. ZERO PSI.

That's on the back, I didn't test the front.

@LandCruiserPhil Please correct me if I'm wrong or feel free to chime in.

EDIT... I just noticed Phil's post above. I'll have to re-run this test and see what happens.

It's Phil's idea, but basically you jack up one wheel. Place a 2x2 (not sure if that's "dimensional lumber" size actually a 1.5" x 1.5" so I used a 1x2 on top which totalled a real 2"). Lower the tire onto the 2x2. Start letting air out. When the tire touches the ground on both sides of the 2x2, that's your optimum trail pressure.

When I did this, I had almost an inch of daylight between the ground and the tire. I went ahead and pulled the valve stem core. ZERO PSI.

That's on the back, I didn't test the front.

@LandCruiserPhil Please correct me if I'm wrong or feel free to chime in.

EDIT... I just noticed Phil's post above. I'll have to re-run this test and see what happens.
Aw now it makes sense. Thank you

Looks like everyone had a great time, sorry I missed it this year. Just wasn't gonna happen with Mama out of town...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom