Rotating Spare (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Except tires age out, the rubber gets hard. With full time 4 wheel drive If you have say 25,000 or more miles on the set of 4 and you use the spare with like new tread depth you have potential to cause drivetrain damage.
I don't agree with this - putting on a spare that is a slightly different size for a short period of time prior to getting a tire fixed has a very low probability of causing drivetrain damage. Both the center and F/R differentials allow for variable speed between each diff and from wheel to wheel - speeds are very different any time the vehicle is turning, on a curvy road, backing up, etc. This could be a concern in a MT Subaru that uses a viscous coupling that can overheat if the F/R speed differential is too much, but I don't ever see it being an issue in a vehicle with a robust Torsen center differential like a GX (assuming it's not something like a 31" tire on one corner and a 34" tire on the other).

I personally have a 255/75R17 spare and 265/70R17 tires on the rig. Later this year that will be 285/70R17s on the rig. The 255/75R17 is midway between both and fits in the OEM spare location with only occasional rubbing on the panhard bar. It's sole purpose is to get me either home or to a tire shop after a catastrophic tire failure, that'll never ever be more than 200 miles and more often <50 miles. I've used my spare exactly once in 3 years of GX ownership and that was for all of 2 miles after developing a slow leak (sand in the bead from donuts on a gravel bar).

I do see the benefits of a 5-tire rotation for big/expensive tires, especially when they are mounted on the back of the vehicle, but it does not make sense for me personally. This is due to the cost of a aftermarket 5th wheel vs. a cheap takeoff steelie, and the fact that a I'd replace tire 5 more often than just proactively replacing the spare at year ~5-8 (or maybe longer if it's still holding air w/o dry rot), and general pain it would be to pull the spare at every 5K rotation and get it in the mix.

Living and traveling out west, Canada or Mexico off road then many miles on highway to get to a small town only to find out they don't have your size, make, model is different than living in the Midwest, South or East of the Mississippi.

Agreed differentials, differentiate. I am not one to risk potential drivetrain damage. I have been on trips way north of the US border where running odd sized tires could over a long distance drive may cause problems.

I think the make/model thing is an issue regardless. Even if you're a 5-tire guy with 5 matched tires, if you have a failure you're still going to want to replace the spare during your big trip, and not chance by keeping going on 4 tires without a spare.

Really the only way to address that is to not get a weird size - stuff like 265/70R17 and 285/70R17 should be available pretty much anywhere in North America as they are used on tons of 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks, Jeeps, etc. I'm not sure about 35" plus tires or more uncommon sizes like 275/75R17s, 255/80R17s, etc.

If I was driving my GX to the end of the Dempster Highway I'd probably get a matching size spare. As it goes now I'm confident I can find a replacement 265 or 285 the same day at pretty much any tire shop in the lower 48.

Living and traveling out west, Canada or Mexico off road then many miles on highway to get to a small town only to find out they don't have your size, make, model is different than living in the Midwest, South or East of the Mississippi.

Agreed differentials, differentiate. I am not one to risk potential drivetrain damage. I have been on trips way north of the US border where running odd sized tires could over a long distance drive may cause problems.

Parts of the Upper Midwest aren't much better, could easily be waiting a week or more.

A few hours to the North of the border the roads or what passes for roads play out

53244029895_6e38a25352_b.jpg

You could try driving it that distance back to the border on a non matching spare, well good luck with that LOL. And then you would have a couple more hours to go once you crossed back into the US before finding a decent shop tire shop. Coming back either through the Falls or Thunder Bay.

Parts of the Upper Midwest aren't much better, could easily be waiting a week or more.

A few hours to the North of the border the roads or what passes for roads play out

You could try driving it that distance back to the border on a non matching spare, well good luck with that LOL. And then you would have a couple more hours to go once you crossed back into the US before finding a decent shop tire shop. Coming back either through the Falls or Thunder Bay.

Just for the record, when driving in very remote conditions, presumably with limited tire availability, would you actually prefer to have your emergency backup tire to have 30-40K on it, or would you want your emergency backup to have 0 miles on it?

Just for the record, when driving in very remote conditions, presumably with limited tire availability, would you actually prefer to have your emergency backup tire to have 30-40K on it, or would you want your emergency backup to have 0 miles on it?

For the record I've been going into very remote locations my whole life chasing game of one type or another. I'm closer to 70 than 60.

A tire is part of a system and it is critical that they all be the same size. If not the abnormal sized tire can and will affect other parts of the system up to and including shifting. And other parts of the system along the way. I've seen enough that I refuse to replace tires in pairs let alone a single odd sized tire.

Using one tire that has 0 miles on it with 3 other tires that have 40K on them from a logic standpoint, no just no.

Besides being different diameter than the others it has no more structure integrity than the other 3. Belts are the same internally. It has the same puncture resistance as the others and no more. A few thousands of tread depth isn't going to stop a puncture from happening. It may very slightly under some rare circumstances but calculating the probability would land it in a very small range if even measurable.

Then there is the fact that you would have to hit something with THAT tire, 25% chance. From a risk assessment standpoint pretty low. With no benefit.

To me not placing a spare into rotation is kind of like dating a pretty girl and not kissing her to save her for the next guy. Does not compute. To me.

So for the record I would much rather use a tire with 40K on it than a tire that is not the same size as my other tires. Either in some town or at the end of Red Lake Road in Sunset Country, Ontario. But that is me. As someone said earlier and I like it, you be you.

On the other hand it forces you to make sure the spare is in good shape and has air in it - I remember stopping to help someone with a flat on a trail only to find out their spare tire had a dry rotted out valve stem and no air in it.
This happened to my cousin… tire was only 4 years old too. Blew the tire out on a branch on the trail and put the spare on and it was flat af. He’s lucky I was with him with on board air.

With that being said, been doing the 5 tire rotation on the Tacoma and the 150 and it’s a pain in the ass… not doing it with the 300

For the record I've been going into very remote locations my whole life chasing game of one type or another. I'm closer to 70 than 60.

A tire is part of a system and it is critical that they all be the same size. If not the abnormal sized tire can and will affect other parts of the system up to and including shifting. And other parts of the system along the way. I've seen enough that I refuse to replace tires in pairs let alone a single odd sized tire.

Using one tire that has 0 miles on it with 3 other tires that have 40K on them from a logic standpoint, no just no.

Besides being different diameter than the others it has no more structure integrity than the other 3. Belts are the same internally. It has the same puncture resistance as the others and no more. A few thousands of tread depth isn't going to stop a puncture from happening. It may very slightly under some rare circumstances but calculating the probability would land it in a very small range if even measurable.

Then there is the fact that you would have to hit something with THAT tire, 25% chance. From a risk assessment standpoint pretty low. With no benefit.

To me not placing a spare into rotation is kind of like dating a pretty girl and not kissing her to save her for the next guy. Does not compute. To me.

So for the record I would much rather use a tire with 40K on it than a tire that is not the same size as my other tires. Either in some town or at the end of Red Lake Road in Sunset Country, Ontario. But that is me. As someone said earlier and I like it, you be you.
I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on the ability of a vehicle with 3 differentials and a robust drivetrain to handle a small difference in tread depth for a few hundred miles :). Also, regardless of 4 or 5 tire rotation, if you damaged one at 35k, would you replace all of them? I probably would (or get one shaved). If so, thats 4 for me and 5 for you.

Honestly, the worst thing one can do for drivetrains is lift the vehicle, put on bigger tires, and wheel it. Minor differences in tire size for short duration apply far less stress tran trying to spin a set of 35s on a loose slope. If there are reports of someone damaging a GX transfer case due to a temporary and small difference in tread depth, I'd certainly like to hear them.

I do the 5-tire on my FJC, but I would like to think I would do it on a GX as well. If anything, so that I could keep an eye on the spare's pressure, condition, and work the mechanism that holds it in place every now and then.

5 rot here! If you have the ambition, it just makes sense. I can't think of a disadvantage other than time/effort.

And since I don't have unidirectional tires, I rear cross.

Getting a 5th wheel usually depends upon if you 5th is hanging out the rear for everyone to see, or tucked under.
Personally I prefer having them all be the same in case I have to use the spare shortly after having new tires installed, I don't have to keep swapping, I can just leave the spare, patch the dinged tire and that becomes the spare.
Also, if you don't have a matching spare, you'll want the steelie spare (or whatever) to have the same dimensions as your other tires, e.g.: of course diameter, width and also off-spacing. AND don't forget to ensure the spare is the same diameter as all your other tires!
Need to append my first post since I didn't really answer the question of rotating 4 or 5. I rotate only the 4 corners. I've never rotated out the spare.
If I get a puncture, I'll evaluate if it's easier to swap the spare out or use my puncture repair kit that I always have on hand.

Need to append my first post since I didn't really answer the question of rotating 4 or 5. I rotate only the 4 corners. I've never rotated out the spare.
If I get a puncture, I'll evaluate if it's easier to swap the spare out or use my puncture repair kit that I always have on hand.
I also carry a puncture repair kit. Plus a M18 mid-torque, onboard air compressor with chuck, spare valve stems, etc.

I haven't used the puncture repair kit on my rig but did use it to fix a puncture flat in a buddy's camper tire. Worked great! No punctures to date in my Wildpeaks, which has been great as our rocks are very sharp chert and rhyolite around here.

Last edited:
Reactions: r2m
I used to rotate in my spare on my TJ Wrangler, but it was on the rear end. I've never done it on a vehicle with the spare underneath. Out of sight, out of mind. haha

I don't agree with this - putting on a spare that is a slightly different size for a short period of time prior to getting a tire fixed has a very low probability of causing drivetrain damage. Both the center and F/R differentials allow for variable speed between each diff and from wheel to wheel - speeds are very different any time the vehicle is turning, on a curvy road, backing up, etc. This could be a concern in a MT Subaru that uses a viscous coupling that can overheat if the F/R speed differential is too much, but I don't ever see it being an issue in a vehicle with a robust Torsen center differential like a GX (assuming it's not something like a 31" tire on one corner and a 34" tire on the other).

I personally have a 255/75R17 spare and 265/70R17 tires on the rig. Later this year that will be 285/70R17s on the rig. The 255/75R17 is midway between both and fits in the OEM spare location with only occasional rubbing on the panhard bar. It's sole purpose is to get me either home or to a tire shop after a catastrophic tire failure, that'll never ever be more than 200 miles and more often <50 miles. I've used my spare exactly once in 3 years of GX ownership and that was for all of 2 miles after developing a slow leak (sand in the bead from donuts on a gravel bar).

I do see the benefits of a 5-tire rotation for big/expensive tires, especially when they are mounted on the back of the vehicle, but it does not make sense for me personally. This is due to the cost of a aftermarket 5th wheel vs. a cheap takeoff steelie, and the fact that a I'd replace tire 5 more often than just proactively replacing the spare at year ~5-8 (or maybe longer if it's still holding air w/o dry rot), and general pain it would be to pull the spare at every 5K rotation and get it in the mix.
I’m in the same camp as @Rednexus even run a never used 255/75R17 KM with 2012 stamp (getting old) as a spare in the spare location on FJ Steelie 17x7.5 +14 offset

My other 4 tires are 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers that are half worn so about the same size as the spare!

I need to confirm my conical lug nuts on my Foxtrots fit the FJ steelie. I didn’t check

Last edited:
I’m in the same camp as @Rednexus even run a never used 255/75R17 KM with 2012 stamp (getting old) as a spare in the spare location of FJ Steelies 17x7.5 +14 offset

My other 4 tires are 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers that are half worn so about the same size as the spare!

I need to confirm my conical lug nuts on my Foxtrots fit the FJ steelie. I didn’t check
I checked my FJ/4Runner steelie with my conical McGuard lug nuts did indeed fit. It sure sucked carrying a set of OEM lug-centric and a separate socket when I still had the OEM Lexus spare.

FWIW, given you spare is getting up there, my Kenda Klever 255/75R17 was something like $175 from Walmart online when I bought it. $10 for the tire shop to mount it and transfer the TPMS over.

I checked my FJ/4Runner steelie with my conical McGuard lug nuts did indeed fit. It sure sucked carrying a set of OEM lug-centric and a separate socket when I still had the OEM Lexus spare.

FWIW, given you spare is getting up there, my Kenda Klever 255/75R17 was something like $175 from Walmart online when I bought it. $10 for the tire shop to mount it and transfer the TPMS over.
Nice…I have a 2003 GX470 without the pesky TPMS to worry about.

I have to check tire pressure the old school way…by hand!

One thing that hurt, I mean really hurt was when I changed tire sizes from the 285/75R17 BFG M/T's to 315/70R17 BFG A/T's.
I had a perfectly new, never used $400.00 spare tire I had to toss. I posted here, but unless I'm the type lucky enough to win the lottery (which I'm not) that someone on here has the EXACT tire and needs a spare or to replace a tire, I had to toss it.
Ouch....

One thing that hurt, I mean really hurt was when I changed tire sizes from the 285/75R17 BFG M/T's to 315/70R17 BFG A/T's.
I had a perfectly new, never used $400.00 spare tire I had to toss. I posted here, but unless I'm the type lucky enough to win the lottery (which I'm not) that someone on here has the EXACT tire and needs a spare or to replace a tire, I had to toss it.
Ouch....
Things like that get set near the sidewalk in front of my house. They're usually gone within a few hours, though that tire might last 15 minutes :).

Things like that get set near the sidewalk in front of my house. They're usually gone within a few hours, though that tire might last 15 minutes :).
It wasn't getting rid of it that was the issue since I purchased the new tires at Costco and they just kept it and put the new size on the spare.
What killed me was a brand new $400.00 dollar tire that I paid for, having to give it away or toss it or whatever the guys at Costco tire shop did with it.
Yeah, we put things out on the side walk too and usually they go pretty quickly. Sometimes we call in the company that does our trash disposable and have them do a pick up if it doesn't fit in the trash can. When we leave it out for pickup, sometimes it gets picked up by a passer by before they come by to get it and they're wondering why they were called out for a pickup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom