Rookie warning: DIY import of a HZJ75RP advice from Australia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I feel as thought I am having an affair doing this......

Thankfully it is for a buddy so my 80 has nothing to worry about. Anyway, enough jokes. I have a friend who is h3llbent on getting a 75 series pick up from Australia. That being said, we are trying to figure out what makes the most sense, Financially as well as be the most successful to source a good example. As soon as he asked, I knew I had to ask the professionals on here. So here are the questions, in question.

Context: We have a contact in the Aus state if Victoria that is willing to do the shopping (go buy it and drive it to a port).

1) How realistic is it to think that it can be done DIY? (Meaning not using a company to do the customs work, vehicle sourcing etc).
2) What tips and tricks would you pass along in regard to importing a vehicle without help from the professionals?
3) Are there underlying concerns that are hidden and need to be brought to light in doing this?

Any and all advice is immensely appreciated! Thank you, Jack! 😁

Howdy, im the friend (who minutes ago created a mud profile after owning toyotas for 6 years). Pardon me if I misuse this thread.

In addition to Jack's post, I also would like any info on necessary paperwork. I've started a list of necessary customs paperwork but would love to hear what you've to say.

Can't wait to get a ute!

Following this thread,

It makes more sense to me to do it yourself if you can.

please keep us posted

Hi guys, it's definitely doable yourself. Guys do it. Guys also call me weekly with stories of "my truck is stuck in xyz of the process, what do I do?" So either have someone handle it, or become very well versed in the process so you confidently do it yourself.

Your state DMV and the CBP website are good places to start. On the export side, you have a friend who can arrange freight transport but be very careful as it is not a customer-friendly industry.

If it's one you pick out and I don't have to find it, I'll get any vehicle from anywhere in the world for cost plus $1000. By the time you factor in wholesale discounts and the cost you'd have with a one-time import bond, you can't really do it for cheaper.

You can search something like this:

This one had some good info as I recall:

Hi guys, it's definitely doable yourself. Guys do it. Guys also call me weekly with stories of "my truck is stuck in xyz of the process, what do I do?" So either have someone handle it, or become very well versed in the process so you confidently do it yourself.

Your state DMV and the CBP website are good places to start. On the export side, you have a friend who can arrange freight transport but be very careful as it is not a customer-friendly industry.

If it's one you pick out and I don't have to find it, I'll get any vehicle from anywhere in the world for cost plus $1000. By the time you factor in wholesale discounts and the cost you'd have with a one-time import bond, you can't really do it for cheaper.
I very much appreciate your offering for $1000 commission, which is now on the top of my list of which direction to go. What is the best way to get ahold of you for this?

Do it. It’s your easiest way and from all reports, @SteveJackson is a standup guy.

If you decide to handle it all yourself, at least hire a Customs Broker. Not terribly expensive and makes the whole thing go much more smoothly.

I’ve been working on an enormous comprehensive document about DIY importing that I may eventually finish and post here so the mods can make it an FAQ or something. It will have everything in it.

Context: We have a contact in the Aus state if Victoria that is willing to do the shopping (go buy it and drive it to a port).

1) How realistic is it to think that it can be done DIY? (Meaning not using a company to do the customs work, vehicle sourcing etc).
2) What tips and tricks would you pass along in regard to importing a vehicle without help from the professionals?
3) Are there underlying concerns that are hidden and need to be brought to light in doing this?

Hi Jack,

I've exported my HZJ75 ute and an HZJ80 from Melbourne, Victoria to the USA. I did it DIY as I was already over in the country working. Sounds like Steve has a really good offer but i'll just throw in my experiences.

-You will have to pay the chicken tax for importing a truck. That is 25% of the declared value. So be prepared for that!
-Port of Melbourne is SUPER friendly and noob tolerant. (in my experience)
-HZJ75 utes are awesome. Just understand they've probably had a hard life compared to a JDM import most likely.
-From Melbourne to Tacoma, WA including all broker fees and all that I think I paid $4k.

Good luck hunting!

Hi Jack,

I've exported my HZJ75 ute and an HZJ80 from Melbourne, Victoria to the USA. I did it DIY as I was already over in the country working. Sounds like Steve has a really good offer but i'll just throw in my experiences.

-You will have to pay the chicken tax for importing a truck. That is 25% of the declared value. So be prepared for that!
-Port of Melbourne is SUPER friendly and noob tolerant. (in my experience)
-HZJ75 utes are awesome. Just understand they've probably had a hard life compared to a JDM import most likely.
-From Melbourne to Tacoma, WA including all broker fees and all that I think I paid $4k.

Good luck hunting!

Thank you for the words of wisdom! I think the current game plan is to work with Steve but I guess it never hurts try to learn new things. Do you pick which port you want it sent to or is the determined for you?

Jack

I picked the port and did RoRo (roll on roll off) in which they just drive it onto the ship instead of shipping container. It took mine about 40 or so days from Melbourne to Tacoma

Thankfully it is for a buddy so my 80 has nothing to worry about. Anyway, enough jokes. I have a friend who is h3llbent on getting a 75 series pick up from Australia. That being said, we are trying to figure out what makes the most sense, Financially as well as be the most successful to source a good example. As soon as he asked, I knew I had to ask the professionals on here. So here are the questions, in question.

Any and all advice is immensely appreciated! Thank you,

I brought my rig over from Japan in early 2013, did all the paperwork myself. I did a writeup for it then. Who the F- is Allis - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/who-the-f-is-allis.698579/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom