Rooftop waterproof storage bag (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I grabbed these cor surf bags when I got my HE back in April. They’ve been on the roof for thousands of miles in all conditions with no issues. They’re no frills with lots of room and the price is right.
7B7A3848-AB62-4678-A2A0-8D149EB4A991.jpeg
88913928-6FD6-4A7D-8A48-30AD6F9E9423.jpeg

I have one of these and it works well.

fwiw, I do have the amazon one, its held up well for a couple years... hard to beat price. Still use it on occasion

Amazon product ASIN B072ZHRDMZ
Though I'm interested in moving toward smaller bags for each passenger just thrown up top. ARB/Yeti/Patagonia, etc, etc

We are big users of roofbags! Find them more convenient to load/unload and compress than hard-sided boxen. We will be releasing the Alamosa Roofbag here shortly. Designed to mount underneath directly to roofrack, and have side & top compression/strap loops, waterproof with zipper (the roll and fold we found to be great but overly burdensome), and removable carry straps.

First iteration will be 42"x13"x13". Rugged, Overland Mobile Radio Antennas - http://alamosa.mobi 👈 have not added to site yet. Working on pricing right now.

Last edited:
We are big users of roofbags! Find them more convenient to load/unload and compress than hard-sided boxen. We will be releasing the Alamosa Roofbag here shortly. Designed to mount underneath directly to roofrack, and have side & top compression/strap loops, waterproof with zipper (the roll and fold we found to be great but overly burdensome), and removable carry straps.

First iteration will be 42"x13"x13". Rugged, Overland Mobile Radio Antennas - http://alamosa.mobi 👈 have not added to site yet. Working on pricing right now.

View attachment 2564792

View attachment 2564792
When is “shortly”?? Thanks I like this ...

Very interested for my Prinsu roof rack. How about a charcoal color bag?

Very interested for my Prinsu roof rack. How about a charcoal color bag?

BIG DISCLAIMER in that we are a few weeks away from getting first bags delivered for testing. Most colors could be available, the design has a hard plastic flooring with grommeted holes that are intended to be directly mountable (without strapping) to any roofrack surface.

Not cheap, but I picked one of these up during the Black Friday sale and the quality is incredible: Kraken 140 L - https://halitestore.com/products/
BIG DISCLAIMER in that we are a few weeks away from getting first bags delivered for testing. Most colors could be available, the design has a hard plastic flooring with grommeted holes that are intended to be directly mountable (without strapping) to any roofrack surface.
I’d be happy to test a bag for you 😎

We have the Ironman 150L bag - works great and connections are simple - i will say try to get an accurate size for what you intend to carry. Otherwise you'll have some flappy excess and gyms are closed RN

We have the Ironman 150L bag - works great and connections are simple - i will say try to get an accurate size for what you intend to carry. Otherwise you'll have some flappy excess and gyms are closed RN
150? I don't see that on their site. The length of the 250 looks like a better fit (lengthwise) for my Yakima LoadWarrior basket than the 200 (smallest size I see with integrated straps), but probably a little wider than I'd like. The length of the 2500 with the width closer to the 200 would be closer to a preferred size.

We only use Sea to Summit dry bags. Hands down the best . The heavy ones are over the top. We pack everything we don't want wet or even damp in them. I've flipped a canoe in very rough water and the bags that where not strapped down floated away fast down river. We recovered them all over about 5 miles. The bags that where strapped in actually kept the canoe buoyant upside down. We just held onto the canoe and had nice ride feet down thru the rapids. Every bag was bone dry. Tents, sleeping bags, socks, laptop all dry. Have driven thru hours of heavy rain. Everything is dry. Drove thru rain, it got very cold, they froze solid and did not crack. I've some over 10 years and still going strong

The type we use are the compression type so not one big bag. I find the advantage of multiple bags is it's easier to organize the roof rack and your stuff. If the weather is really bad and you just want to grab your jacket in storage you can just grab your clothing bag. You don't have to open everything to grab one item. It also helps organizing your camp site. Color coded and you can write on them with a marker.

Will your bag work with the factory roof rack, or are you talking aftermarket tray and basket racks?

I've used a lot of supposedly waterproof bags, and despite similar looking construction and zippers, the only brands that's remained 100% reliable, even over 5+ year of use has been Sealline. Made in the USA too.

These duffels have removable backpack straps (you want these for moving stuff around), and strong, welded attachment points so you can secure them easily.

I grabbed these cor surf bags when I got my HE back in April. They’ve been on the roof for thousands of miles in all conditions with no issues. They’re no frills with lots of room and the price is right.View attachment 2562147View attachment 2562148
I went with the COR bags as well from amazon - they were easy, great quality, and big. I ordered 6 and it was great i just tossed them on top strapped them in and then put my net over to keep straps from flapping. Drove from Dallas to Breck, CO - good 1600 miles no issues (had rain for a few hours on one stint) no leaks. I loved the fact that when we stopped half way through in Amarillo - I could leave the bags with Ski gear in them inside the car and only take in the bags I needed... Last thing was I thought it looked great with 6 uniform bags - all optics obviously - but did get asked twice what kind of bags they were - one guy noting he hated that everyone in his family had a different size and shape - made it hard to pack up top.. Heres a pic - not a good one..

LC Bags.jpg

"Final" pre-production of our roofbag. A few more pics and info here: Alamosa Roofbag - https://antennas.alamosa.mobi/pages/alamosa-roofbag

Designed to go full-width of a Land Cruiser's roof. Not too tall nor wide to fit either laterally or longitudinally on your roof.

IMG_0362.jpg

I've been using these for decades. Made in the USA. Sensible Pricing.

"Final" pre-production of our roofbag. A few more pics and info here: Alamosa Roofbag - https://antennas.alamosa.mobi/pages/alamosa-roofbag

Designed to go full-width of a Land Cruiser's roof. Not too tall nor wide to fit either laterally or longitudinally on your roof.

View attachment 2671045

I've been looking for something like this to carry my camp kitchen, primarily my Weber Q grill, a few propane tanks and some pots/pans. Obviously looks long enough to accommodate the Q grill. Any idea on the other dimensions, assuming it flexes a bit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom