Roof racks - front runner or K9 Eezi-Awn? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at these two racks..

Opinions welcome… but really only at these 2 options at the moment because of use and accessories that are readily available for them.

My intended use is for a rack to have the following
1) 270 awning (bush company, Eezi-awn, or quick pitch)
2) separate stainless table that I can put hot pots on.
3) solar panel - 100w or so
4) maxtracks
5) water or fuel cans “if needed” only rarely if at all..
6) my swag tent
7) a box or two (front runner ammo type size)

I have no plans for a RTT

My concerns are the shark fin antenna reception (I use XM a good bit when traveling)
And space for a table underneath it.
Wind noise.. just don’t want it excessive really
I have owned both racks on other trucks, so am familiar with them and trust the quality

Opinions/thoughts welcome..

I have spent way too much effort trying to find the perfect rack for me and as a result I'm about to swap to rack #3 in the near future. I have had a really good experience with Front Runner on two vehicles now including my 200. I sold it after the lift went on because I was too tall to fit in the garage. I swapped it to an Eezi-Awn K9 load bar system so not exactly apples to apples when compared to their K9 tray. I know a lot of people have had issues with Front Runner so I can only speak to my experience, but it was a great rack and their customer service was killer. I'd probably still have it if I had 8' garage doors.

I personally think the Front Runner accessories are more streamlined, but both feel of extremely high quality. I never had any issues with XM interference with my Front Runner rack and I also had moved the crossbar that would normally be over the sunroof all the way to the rear so I had essentially a 3 crossbarbar solid tray covering the antenna. The Front Runner under mounted table kit is IMO the best feature of their rack (though it does contribute to the excessive height); the tables have gone way up in price and I think the cost is a little absurd compared to the price point of Eezi-Awn. Didn't really have too much wind noise with the Front Runner, though I did have the full sized extra wind fairing; my K9 load bar setup is pretty loud now. You'd probably be happy with either of them

I'd toss Rhino Rack in there for your consideration as well.

If you go Front Runner, the full size wind fairing is a must. I use the Eezi-Awn Swift with the Front Runner large manta ray mounts. Only a sensor lift on 285/60/18. I have to drop into low to fit into my standard size garage door opening, I might have 1-2" more clearance than typical because of the wood beam header across the top of my garage opening. No problems with any SAT or Cellular, and I have full ceramic tints.

This is the original Slimline version. I think Front Runner has a newer model that huges thebroofliej a little more.

PXL_20220319_153404762.jpg

Good info...
on the front runner rack.. it looks like it is apx 6" from the roof to the top of the rack is that accurate? while I don't park in the garage I do work on it in there so ideally would need to keep it under 90" with the awning installed (hopefully... anyway)

Good info...
on the front runner rack.. it looks like it is apx 6" from the roof to the top of the rack is that accurate? while I don't park in the garage I do work on it in there so ideally would need to keep it under 90" with the awning installed (hopefully... anyway)

Photos for your consideration as mounted, should clear 90", and stock wheel tire setup of 285/50/20 on 2010 clears 83" when in low setting. Hope this helps.

PXL_20220706_191809651.MP.jpg

PXL_20220706_191901404.MP.jpg

PXL_20220706_191907354.MP.jpg

Love my frontrunner rack. As previously stated, the full size wind fairing is well worth it. Cuts noise and completes the look. I've bought a couple of their accessories, but mostly bought my own using different length bolts and panels in the rail system. Extremely convenient.

My biggest issue with front runner rack is that it looks like a ping-pong table that is 6" off your roofline — it's built that way to accommodate an overpriced camping table that slides under it that you probably wont buy. If you are considering aftermarket there are lots of lower profile options: Rhino Rack Backbone, ARB Base rack, Prinsu, Gamiviti, Gobi, Victory 4x4, and Dissent.

Why not a Yakama? With a basket and box? And a $35 Lifetime table with a trivet or piece of wood (for hot pots)?
You could get this entire set up for slightly more then the table in question.

BDBAF39E-8D6B-4AA8-AA60-18105A8B2127.jpeg

Front Runner has 2 SKUs one is lower profile then the other, personally I am going with an ARB base rack because its the lowest and lightest but I have had Front Runner racks before, the modularity is very nice but the Rhino Rack Backbone is usually thinner and easier to mount.

My biggest issue with front runner rack is that it looks like a ping-pong table that is 6" off your roofline — it's built that way to accommodate an overpriced camping table that slides under it that you probably wont buy. If you are considering aftermarket there are lots of lower profile options: Rhino Rack Backbone, ARB Base rack, Prinsu, Gamiviti, Gobi, Victory 4x4, and Dissent.

But you have a ping pong table at the campsite, :rofl:

Even though I have the Front Runner, and it was my first add to the LX, I would likely do it over and wait for a lower profile one. In all fairness, I also would have purchased a different awning, but at the time I needed a roof rack and I needed an awning (without leg supports) for crating my dogs at sporting events. My dogs sometimes have to sit for a few hours in the truck (awning out, sun sails up, window screens, tints, and vortex fans going) and when I purchased the Front Runner and Eezi-Awn Swift I needed them that week (both shipped directly to my house). I do like the look of Dissent and I remember wishing I could get the Gamiviti or Gobi, but they were several months out on lead time and I was thinking (at that time) I would need to drive 10-12 hours to have it installed. I still might redo the rack and awning, but next few grand are going towards drawers with two kennels strapped on top. Right now, I am shopping the premier plywoods to try and build me a plate system like the Goose Gear setup. It is easier for me to go to the lumber yard then try to navigate how I can get the Goose Gear setup in my LX. If a company within 6 hour drive of Santa Fe, NM, had the two drawer 10" Goose Gear system ready, I would be there tomorrow having it installed. I figure I can build something and try it out (mimicking Goose Gear setup) by the time a Goose Gear system would be ready.

actually a table is prime consideration.... and it needs to be stainless to handle hot camp stoves right off the fire..
I have had great experience with the K9 rack and will probably go that route again at this point... I Agee that the FR table is over priced but it is also the only one that is fully stainless (the K9 table has plastic corner pieces)...

on the goose gear drawers and plate system, install it takes about 2 hours if you go slow.. I've had mine in and out a few times now. I do recommend having a 1/4-20 tap handy just in case any of the plate hardware binds.. the plate fasteners are just normal hardware store items, the bolts are just 1/4-20

updating this a bit..
K9 does not offer the table option with the 200 shark fin - the table only deploys from the rear. I may fiddle with a shark fin removal, since I do like the tables.
For a table FR is it. I am still debating on it, and have been using an aluminum roll up one from REI.. it's ok but does the job. takes up space on the rack but really for the $ the compromise is probably worth it for what I do, that and the awnings/shower awning "might" make the side deploy location on the FR impossible anyway...
I am going ahead with a tailgate project in July so that will give me an additional space to put hot thing, as needed, and will most likely go with the K9 again.

After owning both the FR & K9 on a past 100 series, I would do the K9 again. I think FR has more accessories and is a little more forward thinking, but I had massive wind noise issues with the FR (K9 has it's share of wind noise, but the FR crossbars would start thrumming at hwy speed).
The K9 table and slide set up is nice, but still overpriced in my opinion. The biggest drawback to the Ezee Awn table for me was the height. It was too short to use for food prep, and almost too tall to eat at, with no adjustments available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom