Roof rack questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I let it sit in the sun and I was able to rip them off. I just ordered that eraser disk. The remaining adhesive is going to be a pain…. Thanks for all the advice!

12C021D3-2677-48CC-883C-A615A1909624.jpeg

It shouldn't take long to remove the adhesive once you get the feel for the eraser disk.

Go ahead and clean the areas around the adhesive to remove any grit from the area that you can. That will help you avoid scratching the paint as you remove the adhesive and will also help keep the wheel from getting contaminated with dirt/etc. though that's usually not an issue. Test different speeds, but a normal drill will likely cover the speed you want to use getting that adhesive off which is slower than you may run when removing paint or harder materials. The wheel basically melts things off and the adhesive residue will loosen up without much temp added which is why slower speeds will be fine on it. A little speed to sling the goo balls further away may help though.

Pick up some denatured alcohol to use as a cleaning wipe for after you run the wheel over the adhesive. You can move pretty fast with the wheel and leave a thin residue that wipes right off with the alcohol. The end result should be that the paint under the adhesive looks fresh and unworn compared to the paint that's been out in the sun.

It can be hard to remember to try it but I've found a lot of uses for those disks over the year. One of my favorite uses is stripping paint with them, which they can do really well in many instances while providing a lot more control of how the undercoats are treated.

Last edited:
For those of you who removed your factory rack, do any of you still have it? I'm missing 2 end caps and the rest of the rack is in pretty rough shape. If so, please DM me. Thx!
Yes of course. Who wouldn't?
Do you retain the adjusting crossbar pieces? Not the crossbar itself, but the part connecting the crossbar to the long bar.
Only ask as I think one of mine left the chat.

Mine went right in the dumpster :cool:
Same. To be fair, mine had taken an impact and was not going to ever go back on my or anyone else's rig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom