Roof Rack - Possible Issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I've got a JW Offroad roof rack on my GX w/ an Alu Cab mounted on top. Started to run some wiring for lights this morning when I noticed some rust and possible structural damage to my rack.

The Alu Cab had two load bars attached to it then attached to two of the bars on my rack. I'm posting a picture of one end of a bar but all 4 ends look just like this. The part that looks bubbled out isn't just the paint but the metal has bent out some. Before I bought this rack I did research on it and found others running an Alu Cab on theirs and even called JW to make sure it would hold the weight of the tent and Shadow awning because Prinsu told me theirs would not.

How unsafe does this seem?

IMG_1115.jpeg

It's kind of hard to tell without being able to either feel it with one's fingers or look at it from top down without anything on it.
But if you have concerns and not getting anywhere with the manufacturer, then get a couple straps of stainless steel, size: 1/8" x (the height of your rack shown) x (couple inches wider on both sides of your cross bar). Sorry can't give hard dimensions I can't get my hands on.
Then use the two stainless steel sandwich straps on either side of the rack, right under the cross bar to sandwich in the concerned area. Use the same SS buttonhead socket bolts you have (or new ones) and bolt back together.
Don't forget to paint the SS straps black and maybe texture them!
You will never have an issue again in that area!
I threw the sketch below together to give a better idea of what I'm talking about:
1643384649347.png

Got ahold of JW Off-road.. they said the issue is the Alu Cab load bars are too close together and need spaced out more. Makes sense too.

Crazy part is they are sending me new side rails free of charge. Amazing customer service in my opinion.

Great to hear! Now you don't have to dink around with my pathetic sketch and metal work! 👍

Great to hear! Now you don't have to dink around with my pathetic sketch and metal work! 👍

Ha. I’m still debating on adding your suggestion!

I looked at my setup again and there’s no way to space the load bars out more in the tent. I don’t want to go through all the trouble of installing new side rails to be right back in the same spot 6 months down the road.

Trying to decide if I'm just gonna scrap my rack and go back to a Front Runner system.

Reactions: r2m
Ha. I’m still debating on adding your suggestion!

I looked at my setup again and there’s no way to space the load bars out more in the tent. I don’t want to go through all the trouble of installing new side rails to be right back in the same spot 6 months down the road.

Trying to decide if I'm just gonna scrap my rack and go back to a Front Runner system.
Let me know if you decide to sell the JW. I may run a tent on it from time to time but the tent won't reside there 24/7/365. And I am having a hard time justifying a $1200-$1500 rack for the occasional use it will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom