Roof rack gutter mounts slipping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

I got some smittybuilt gutter mounts which i put on my con-ferr rack. However they seem to keep sliding and i have to pound them back into place. Anyone else has/has issues or has/had a solution for it? I’m considering pinning them from underside of the bracket into the gutter but I would prefer not to do that.
0B2DD116-AECB-4489-A30F-BA40D89ACB76.jpeg

My first thought was to put a strip of epdm rubber between the bracket and the drip rail. Bicycle tire would work too. Or you could dRill through the mount to add an extra bolt through both pieces of the brace?

metal on metal will wreck your paint job.

You've probably over tightened them and bent your drip rail.

This brings up a good point. Is there any way to reinforce our gutters so that the weight can be distributed more evenly? I have four towers and over tightening them is deforming my gutters as well. Hopefully I'm not hijacking this thread!!!

My first thought was to put a strip of epdm rubber between the bracket and the drip rail. Bicycle tire would work too. Or you could dRill through the mount to add an extra bolt through both pieces of the brace?

metal on metal will wreck your paint job.
The extra bolt might work nicely, I haven't considered it. My paint is all messed up anyway and the little rubber grommets kept flying off, so I just took them off.
You've probably over tightened them and bent your drip rail.
I don't think so....my drip rail was already at an upward angle and thats why the brackets are sliding.

The extra bolt might work nicely, I haven't considered it. My paint is all messed up anyway and the little rubber grommets kept flying off, so I just took them off.

I don't think so....my drip rail was already at an upward angle and thats why the brackets are sliding.
I've been thinking about this.....

Are the brackets designed to "pinch" the drip rail between the rack and the bracket or is the toe of the bracket outside the plane of the rack "rail"? I'm thinking the plane of the rack rail must be outside the toe of the bracket under the drip rail in order for the drip rail to push down and keep the bracket from slipping off.

Maybe loosen the bracket and pull the rack rail closer to the outside of the drip rail and see if it makes a difference?

How many gutter mounts do you have holding the rack? Maybe you just need more gutter mounts....

You could also try bending the brackets for a better interface with the gutter. You could mark them with a sharpie or something and look at them after a few weeks to try and gauge where they are contacting and then proceed to try and bend them for a better for.

I've been thinking about this.....

Are the brackets designed to "pinch" the drip rail between the rack and the bracket or is the toe of the bracket outside the plane of the rack "rail"? I'm thinking the plane of the rack rail must be outside the toe of the bracket under the drip rail in order for the drip rail to push down and keep the bracket from slipping off.

Maybe loosen the bracket and pull the rack rail closer to the outside of the drip rail and see if it makes a difference?
I don’t think that would work because then the bracket wouldn’t be parallel with the roof rack
F79F9AD7-AB27-442A-B075-44E5E9119428.jpeg

How many gutter mounts do you have holding the rack? Maybe you just need more gutter mounts....

You could also try bending the brackets for a better interface with the gutter. You could mark them with a sharpie or something and look at them after a few weeks to try and gauge where they are contacting and then proceed to try and bend them for a better for.
I’ve got 8 gutter months and i use the s*** out of my roof rack. It’s just that the bottom surface of the gutter is angled up compared to ground, so the bracket has a tendency to walk up.
Maybe i can bend the gutter down ?

I don’t think that would work because then the bracket wouldn’t be parallel with the roof rack View attachment 2646565

I’ve got 8 gutter months and i use the s*** out of my roof rack. It’s just that the bottom surface of the gutter is angled up compared to ground, so the bracket has a tendency to walk up.
Maybe i can bend the gutter down ?
That's a much clearer picture of the mounts, thank you!

If you're loading the rack heavily, it pushes down in the center and kicks out the outside of your bracket.

I would give a guess that you are actually overloading your rack based on the number of brackets you have on the truck. Just because you can get it up there doesn't mean it's not too much.

What I was thinking was this was a full length rail type rack that sits in the drip rail.
The bracket pivots on the inside leg of the bracket (next to the roof line) and when you load the rack, it pulls the top toward center of the truck, which will kick out the "foot" of your bracket, causing what you are seeing on the bottom.

Maybe i can bend the gutter down
I think it would make a lot more sense to try and bend the mount instead of the gutter.

I have put some pretty serious weight on my oldschool INTI rack and it has never budged. This rack is supposed to be a pretty legitimate rack for heavy loads and it only used 6 mounts.

The mounts for my INTI rack are quite similar in design to yours but they seem to have a different profile under the gutter and they utilize 2 bolts instead of 1.

Here is a picture, maybe this can help you tweak the mounts....

16185297753384683640307557984420.jpg

16185298304602357327162271310683.jpg

I think it would make a lot more sense to try and bend the mount instead of the gutter.

I have put some pretty serious weight on my oldschool INTI rack and it has never budged. This rack is supposed to be a pretty legitimate rack for heavy loads and it only used 6 mounts.

The mounts for my INTI rack are quite similar in design to yours but they seem to have a different profile under the gutter and they utilize 2 bolts instead of 1.

Here is a picture, maybe this can help you tweak the mounts....

View attachment 2646587
View attachment 2646588
The biggest difference between yours and his is that your has the rack further out toward the drip rail so there is much less overhung load. Your load is nearly straight down, where his is inset 2"+ from the drip rail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom