Roof Rack Basket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just picked up a new (2019) LC...any suggestions on a roof rack basket?

Thanks in advance!
Before I went with a full roof rack, I used to use Yakima crossbars on my LC to carry bikes and or kayaks. I also had the Yakima Load Warrior roof basket with the extension.(same basket that comes on the Heritage Edition, minus the extension, I believe) The Yakima basket worked great for me when I needed extra cargo space, and you can remove it in about 5 minutes when not needed. Works well on the factory roof rails as well.

I don't have any ideas for you, but I am curious what kind of stuff people typically carry in an open roof basket. Don't things get dusty, dirty and wet?

We have a Thule box that we carry extra stuff in when we are fully loaded and need more space (like on a long camping trip). It installs and removes fairly quickly. It also keeps things out of the weather pretty well.

I don't have any ideas for you, but I am curious what kind of stuff people typically carry in an open roof basket. Don't things get dusty, dirty and wet?

We have a Thule box that we carry extra stuff in when we are fully loaded and need more space (like on a long camping trip). It installs and removes fairly quickly. It also keeps things out of the weather pretty well.
Stuff you throw on the roof is exposed to the elements. When we’re going kayaking, I have a large waterproof duffel that holds our life jackets, helmets (if the river calls for them), rescue ropes, dry bags / boxes, basically all the boat extras. Throw it up there and strap it down. Same with a five gallon water jug. You get the idea, the basket is useful for stuff that is either water/ dust tight, or won’t matter if it’s dusty or wet.

Thanks, that makes a ton of sense! Thanks for helping me understand.

Just picked up a new (2019) LC...any suggestions on a roof rack basket?

Thanks in advance!
I use a Rhino Rack basket on mine. I use it for all kinds of stuff. Wood, trash, coolers (2 fit nicely), etc. I also use it to strap down Home Depot materials for projects around the house. The only time I take it off is winter time
1A6F4BD0-1E1A-4CD6-8425-F6779E5CC38A.jpeg
when I put a rocket box in its place for skis.

I have the full sized ARB roof rack with side rails. I love it for many reasons. It's versatile. The welded mesh frame lets you tie down any where so your never limited and if you have to adjust the load it's super simple. It's profile is a little lower than other roof baskets and the mesh grid is tighter and the powder coating is brilliant. Also have a very large soft water proof bag that is easy to take on and off that we use for long trips with friends. Large dry bags to store the rest of things we don't want to get wet. The dry bags are the best because bulky items like bedding and cloths can be stored dry and just tossed outside in the rain at camp with no worries. We flipped a canoe and those bags kept the canoe floating for .5 miles in some rapids and everything was dry as a bone when we opened em up.
IMG_1704.jpg

Cant help with basket ideas but i installed a Gamiviti Expo ++ rack on my truck and I love it. Its flat so it gives the option of attaching a basket or whatever else you might want to. I also like that I was able to order it with the opening for my sunroof.

Lots of pics here:

On my list of items to get. I'd rather go for a Gobi Stealth or Gamiviti, but a $350 Megawarrior will likely suit the immediate family needs and much easier on the wallet for the time being (while easily removable).

How's the noise with the Megawarrior? Some folks don't seem to be bothered, while others claim to be unbearable... also OEM on HE models, can it be that bad?? For those that went from a basket to a full expo rack, did the noise change much? I like using my sunroof.

Kuat Vagabond X is also of interest, a little more expensive at $480, looks nicer (IMHO) about 7" skinnier (52x41x7) than Megawarrior (52x48x6.5), but comes with 2 bike skewers integrated and can be expanded to 72" as well.

On my list of items to get. I'd rather go for a Gobi Stealth or Gamiviti, but a $350 Megawarrior will likely suit the immediate family needs and much easier on the wallet for the time being (while easily removable).

How's the noise with the Megawarrior? Some folks don't seem to be bothered, while others claim to be unbearable... also OEM on HE models, can it be that bad?? For those that went from a basket to a full expo rack, did the noise change much? I like using my sunroof.

Kuat Vagabond X is also of interest, a little more expensive at $480, looks nicer (IMHO) about 7" skinnier (52x41x7) than Megawarrior (52x48x6.5), but comes with 2 bike skewers integrated and can be expanded to 72" as well.

just picked up a takeoff from the heritage edition of a mud member. Installed it and have an 8 hour trip home. I was looking for an answer to this very question but Couldn’t find one. I’ll be happy to let you know shortly!

just picked up a takeoff from the heritage edition of a mud member. Installed it and have an 8 hour trip home. I was looking for an answer to this very question but Couldn’t find one. I’ll be happy to let you know shortly!
I've actually since picked up a Yakima Off Grid. I do not find it to be at all noisy, much much less than what gets described here at least. Can still cruise with sunroof open and all.

I think the deflector profile on the Off Grid may be a little more angled than the Megawarrior, which may contribute to the low noise but that's just an observation from photos... May be the same.

Last edited:
I run a Thule Box and mega warrior - as the need pops up. Factory rack is silent with some surfboard pads on it and that's what I need most, so is my go-to and how the cruiser is normally dressed.... box or megawarrior can be on in five minutes.
Box - Great for skiing and long roadtrips. Keep everything dry and locked. The biggest Thule fits the room of the 200 nicely.
Basket - Great for beach and camping. Louder than box but perfect for beach chairs, coolers, firewood, wetsuits, traction pads and most importantly, an awning.

@Dre01SS - I find the megawarrior to be fine re: noise, even with sunroof open.... but loud enough that I dont rock it unless I need it or will in the next few wks.

Offgrid looks more aero for sure.

I use a Rhino Rack basket on mine. I use it for all kinds of stuff. Wood, trash, coolers (2 fit nicely), etc. I also use it to strap down Home Depot materials for projects around the house. The only time I take it off is winter time View attachment 2354646when I put a rocket box in its place for skis.
Does that cover the sunroof?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom