Rock Slider Recommendations? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got a new 4Runner and I am looking for any recommendations out there for rock sliders. There appear to be a lot of choices. Any recommendations or any things to stay away from? Thanks.

White Knuckle has done a better job these days , Budbuilts are still rusting up quick .

74EB54DB-5299-43D8-B9DB-955B7183D047.jpeg

C444E175-4E78-4610-9B3A-E9B274CFB4DE.jpeg

White knuckle. The attention to detail impressed me

Ended up picking up the OEM "Rock Rails" from a local Toyota dealer. About $450 for the set. Koons Toyota had them on their website and I couldn't seem to find them listed on other Toyota parts websites.

Toyota part numbers:

LH # PT228-89191
RH # PT228-89190

I just did a quick swap with the factory running boards in less than an hour. Easy half banana job. These OEM sliders bolt to the frame with 5 bolts and go right around the KDSS and brake lines. These are heavy and beefy and should hold up great to the occasional accidental trail scrape, boulder or ledge. I bought these because I'm hoping to wheel as close to an OEM truck as possible.

Other mods include an RCI steel skidplate (sadly the OEM one died on the second time wheeling and cost me a front diff, and upper and lower oil pans- bit of an ordeal is an understatement on that one) and I recently installed a 1" front coil spacer from CornFed Suspension. This is essentially identical to what the 200 series LC gets from Toyota OEM as a 10mm front coil spacer so I consider it OEMish. Also mounted up 255/75r17 C-rated K02s that run at 32.2" for a bit more height- might switch to a 255/80r17 in the future- but these seem pretty great. Last month I hit a pretty tough public trail with this set up and the truck cleared everything and did really well- it had done a lot worse on this trail when completely stock.

I'll plan to wheel greens, maybe blues at VA and PA off road parks, and public trails with this current set up.

33091C2D-FF6F-4715-98E0-43FEDFD81F83.jpeg
5F6A8B77-F14D-4371-9C55-A68A46B762B3.jpeg
A103BEEF-0517-46E5-861E-D637378BFF60.jpeg
819DD33D-C4AE-46F7-BD29-18352E25B1ED.jpeg

View attachment 2957327

View attachment 2957328

Last edited:
Ended up picking up the OEM "Rock Rails" from a local Toyota dealer. About $450 for the set.

I just did a quick swap with the factory running boards in less than an hour. Easy half banana job. These OEM sliders bolt to the frame with 5 bolts and go right around the KDSS and brake lines. These are heavy and beefy and should hold up great to the occasional accidental trail scrape, boulder or ledge. I bought these because I'm hoping to wheel as close to an OEM truck as possible.

Other mods include an RCI steel skidplate (sadly the OEM one died on the second time wheeling and cost me a front diff, and upper and lower oil pans- bit of an ordeal is an understatement on that one) and I recently installed a 1" front coil spacer from CornFed Suspension. This is essentially identical to what the 200 series LC gets from Toyota OEM as a 10mm front coil spacer so I consider it OEMish. Also mounted up 255/75r17 C-rated K02s that run at 32.2" for a bit more height- might switch to a 255/80r17 in the future- but these seem pretty great. Last month I hit a pretty tough public trail with this set up and the truck cleared everything and did really well- it had done a lot worse on this trail when completely stock.

I'll plan to wheel greens, maybe blues at VA and PA off road parks, and public trails with this current set up.

View attachment 2957323View attachment 2957324View attachment 2957325View attachment 2957326View attachment 2957327View attachment 2957328

Thank you for the feedback. Seen them mentioned very early in the thread but no posted actually having installed them. I have old FJ40s is I really want to pound on the rocks. Currently have the damage multiplier nurf bar with steps. Want something that attaches to the frame not to the sheet metal floor. With the current cost of gas adding less weight make sense on a vehicle that actually puts more miles on the pavement. I would like to figure out some kind of bolt on step. Can get in find even for being an old man. It's makes getting out easier when don't slide off the side of the seat. Not having a A pillar grab bar makes it's hard enough. Nothing breaks the side of a seat more than sliding out. The nurf bars it has now.
20211008_140934.jpg

Thank you for the feedback. Seen them mentioned very early in the thread but no posted actually having installed them. I have old FJ40s is I really want to pound on the rocks. Currently have the damage multiplier nurf bar with steps. Want something that attaches to the frame not to the sheet metal floor. With the current cost of gas adding less weight make sense on a vehicle that actually puts more miles on the pavement. I would like to figure out some kind of bolt on step. Can get in find even for being an old man. It's makes getting out easier when don't slide off the side of the seat. Not having a A pillar grab bar makes it's hard enough. Nothing breaks the side of a seat more than sliding out. The nurf bars it has now.
View attachment 2958016
I think the Slee SlidersSteps would fit the bill- speaking of bill, they come with a Slee tax but they are very stout and make great steps. I had them on my GX470 and really liked them...

1647819424827.png

1647819470711.png

I think the Slee SlidersSteps would fit the bill- speaking of bill, they come with a Slee tax but they are very stout and make great steps. I had them on my GX470 and really liked them...

View attachment 2958145
View attachment 2958147

I agree those look very nice but are they three times the cost of OEM rock sliders before shipping. I'm guessing an extra fifty pounds a side too. I never intend on doing any real rock crawling with this 4Runner. Half the year it will be my wife's DD. Not that it will be driven much. Only put 5K miles on the first year we've owned it. Only thing we own are Toyota 4WDs with a frame. Only thing not an SUV is a FJ45. I've had my FJ62 for twenty-nine years. No lift and 31s. Rockers are still intact as well as the snake blinders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom