Rock buggy chassis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CreeperSleeper

Cascade Cruisers
SILVER Star
Threads
Well, I got the okay from the wife to build a buggy as soon as our cars are paid off (within 2.5 years)... After much thought, I want it to be a two seater running all Toyota running gear (supercharged 3.4l V6, auto, dual marlin cases, LC axles...), 39.5" - 42" rubber, approx 110" WB, linked front and rear w/ Sway-Away coilovers, etc.

My problem is, I would like to start with a pre-fabbed chassis. Any recommendations? Or should I start with a Toyota frame and go from there? Basically, I'm afraid that I don't have the skills to build my own chassis from scratch...

Well, I got the okay from the wife to build a buggy as soon as our cars are paid off (within 2.5 years)... After much thought, I want it to be a two seater running all Toyota running gear (supercharged 3.4l V6, auto, dual marlin cases, LC axles...), 39.5" - 42" rubber, approx 110" WB, linked front and rear w/ Sway-Away coilovers, etc.

My problem is, I would like to start with a pre-fabbed chassis. Any recommendations? Or should I start with a Toyota frame and go from there? Basically, I'm afraid that I don't have the skills to build my own chassis from scratch...

I'd start with an fj-80 base... :flipoff2:

lots of options for chassis out there....one of my favorites is still Twisted Customs...Blue Torch also does a nice one...

I'm considering a pair of rectangular mandrel bent rails from Throttle Down Kustoms....they've done one set of custom rails for an FJ45 project. Start with the outside rails, add a cross member or two, and build from there....

IMO, do NOT start with a stock frame....too heavy and too flimsy for a from-scratch buggy....my plan is a 4.3-700-atlas with 7075 links and SAW airshocks over cruiser axles....part of it assume i scrap my existing FJ40 to scavenge some parts tho, which I haven't talked myself into quite yet....

Creeper,

I can't image that you would be saving any money by building your own chassis. So unless you are looking for the zen like experience of building a chassis I think you are on the right track to just buy one. Making brackets and components is one thing - but to build a whole chassis is a huge process with big learning curves. I personally think buying a chassis from any one of the sponsors or venders here would be money well spent. Once you have the chassis it is pretty easy to mix and match or customize per your needs/budget.

I am looking forward to the build thread!

Andy

Creeper,

I can't image that you would be saving any money by building your own chassis. So unless you are looking for the zen like experience of building a chassis I think you are on the right track to just buy one. Making brackets and components is one thing - but to build a whole chassis is a huge process with big learning curves. I personally think buying a chassis from any one of the sponsors or venders here would be money well spent. Once you have the chassis it is pretty easy to mix and match or customize per your needs/budget.

I am looking forward to the build thread!

Andy

I agree... I just am wondering which chassis to go with.

lots of options for chassis out there....one of my favorites is still Twisted Customs...Blue Torch also does a nice one...

....part of it assume i scrap my existing FJ40 to scavenge some parts tho, which I haven't talked myself into quite yet....

Why scrap a rig that has been so 'gently' broke in?

X2 on the Twisted Custom chassis!

Jimbro

nothing wrong with the rest being toyota, 3.4 is a good motor, and if I had the option of supercharged 3.4 vs. 350 I would choose the yoter. If it is lite yota axles can work out and if you break them it isn't that big of a deal, but breaking t-cases really really sux, I know X3

The big thing is once you get dual yota cases built will all the "big" parts you are almost in as deep $$ wise as a atlas and you still can't front dig!

my build will be a 4.3/700R/Atlas with a front Cruiser housing and a rear centered mini/Cruiser hybrid....despite my best efforts, I'm incapable of breaking my 30-spline Longfield setup...and believe me, I've tried....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom