Road trip? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have no destination in mind, would like to hit the road/trails as soon as tomorrow-wed, or thurs, for 2-5 days, up for almost anything. If you have interest in a fairly unplanned exploratory road trip, reply or pm and see if we can get a trip going ASAP

Last edited:
In the absence of any responses I will be heading out in the area of Alpine by Thursday, looking for trails to NM and back. Open to suggestions or recommendations.

Mexico is also an option, weather permitting.

I have no destination in mind, would like to hit the road/trails as soon as tomorrow-wed, or thurs, for 2-5 days, up for almost anything. If you have interest in a fairly unplanned exploratory road trip, reply or pm and see if we can get a trip going ASAP

I've been mapping out some of New Mexico from Alpine, FWIW, Alpine, AZ to Luna, N.M. I am unavailable to make this trip this weekend due to a mtn. biking trip along the Mogollon Rim; but, I will be doing this Luna route later in the summer.

Zona

Well, I am heading to Colorado tomorrow.
Going to camp just south of Grants on BLM land tomorrow night.
Camping at Cumbres Pass on Thursday night.
Hotel Friday night in Chama.
Train ride on Saturday.
Camping & four wheelin' between Antonito and Osier Saturday through Thursday taking pics and video of the train every other day.
McKnight Canyon trail run with Las Cruces 4wd club Friday, Sat, Sun.
Heading back home Sunday & Monday.

You (or anyone else) is certainly welcome to come along for some or all of the 1.5 week long trip.

Well, I am heading to Colorado tomorrow.
Going to camp just south of Grants on BLM land tomorrow night.
Camping at Cumbres Pass on Thursday night.
Hotel Friday night in Chama.
Train ride on Saturday.
Camping & four wheelin' between Antonito and Osier Saturday through Thursday taking pics and video of the train every other day.
McKnight Canyon trail run with Las Cruces 4wd club Friday, Sat, Sun.
Heading back home Sunday & Monday.

You (or anyone else) is certainly welcome to come along for some or all of the 1.5 week long trip.
Stepmurr,

That sounds like a great trip, so you're going clockwise up to CO and then down to southern NM it looks like? Which Train? Silverton? Please post up picks/video, I'm heading out to Colorado/New Mexico on June 27th.

Safe travels hombre!

Zona

Stepmurr,

That sounds like a great trip, so you're going clockwise up to CO and then down to southern NM it looks like? Which Train? Silverton? Please post up picks/video, I'm heading out to Colorado/New Mexico on June 27th.

Safe travels hombre!

Zona
I'll be riding and photographing the Cumbres & Toltec. This is the 50 year anniversary of the tourist line taken over by New Mexico & Colorado in 1970.

Due to the Covid nonsense there are not going to be any through trains until later this year. All trains will leave from and return to Antonito, Co. for the rest of June. No trains out of Chama until the New Mexico governor allows them.

You might consider a loop up along the Conejos River while in the area. Beautiful country there.

Check out the Blue River, Pueblo Park, Negrito Creek forks, lots of public lands to explore out there.

X2. And north via Sierra Anchas, Young. Once in New Mexico, the Gila above Mogollon is really nice too. Could loop from there north into the Plains of St. Augustine and then back to Reserve. I've done some long dirt bicycle tours out there--remote, lonely, scenic and wide-open country, real nice.

If you are looking for remote travel with a variety of terrain look at the Great Western Trail.

The picture was taken on Memorial Day weekend

VEMCLIFT1.jpg

North rim is a nice cool place this time of year but not sure how the Mangum fire is going to effect travel in the area. Not familiar with with FS road numbers to know the retractions.

North rim is a nice cool place this time of year but not sure how the Mangum fire is going to effect travel in the area. Not familiar with with FS road numbers to know the retractions.
I was just there came in the back way avoiding Jacobs Lake and the hwy. No problem

Last edited:
Funner is there a trip report? Where did you end up going?

I went all over the north east part of the state. Travelled by FS roads and trails as much as possible. Stoneman Lake to lake Mary rd. Then down through happy jack to blue ridge reservoir. Trails from their through the back side of the reservoir and all over the area. Came out near Heber. Then down to alpine and trails and trails to Big Lake. Then up and out to show low. Eventually the rim road for about 100 miles dumping out on the 260, and home through Payson. 4 days, three nights and about 400 miles on blacktop and another 300 on dirt.
78BF818D-CC19-47BE-9A1D-978C5EF3295B.jpeg
8BD7FCBA-0B01-487B-906D-935FE6E0078D.jpeg
3C4AD3F9-0E67-4678-BADA-217268DD5409.jpeg
E6236DFC-A232-4587-8539-25449C4216EA.jpeg
4462AAF5-EF7D-41AC-A38E-6FFF337A62CD.jpeg

When did you get the rear bumper? First time I noticed it.

When did you get the rear bumper? First time I noticed it.

I bought an lx450 and pulled the slee front bumper, 4x4 labs rear bumper and swapped in the axles/lockers from it too. I need to get rid of the 450 eventually.

I went all over the north east part of the state. Travelled by FS roads and trails as much as possible. Stoneman Lake to lake Mary rd. Then down through happy jack to blue ridge reservoir. Trails from their through the back side of the reservoir and all over the area. Came out near Heber. Then down to alpine and trails and trails to Big Lake. Then up and out to show low. Eventually the rim road for about 100 miles dumping out on the 260, and home through Payson. 4 days, three nights and about 400 miles on blacktop and another 300 on dirt. View attachment 2352806View attachment 2352807View attachment 2352808View attachment 2352812View attachment 2352811

I read something about the White Mountain Apache reservation closing access to non-residents. Were you able to drive through?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom