Road Top 8.8"/8.9" CarPlay Screen (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm finally interested in this, looks like there are a lot of players in this market now. Will go back through the thread but has anyone tried any other brands?

@Bryanmc I been pretty happy with Hikity Portable Car Stereo Apple... Amazon product ASIN B0BFW7V2KX
Note that this model is an older model and does not have auto bright control.

I stumbled into the hikity brand on Amazon while trying out a bunch of these CarPlay screens. I like that (using iOS) it does not need an aux cable (can use Bluetooth). The unit linked above is pretty compact. It looks more like a bigger nav/gps than “a Tesla screen”.

Well, I attempted troubleshooting by adjusting the LUX Threshold setting as Roadtop advised. As I thought this setting does not do anything to address the intermittent dim screen issue. I've even attempted disabling the LUX sensor entirely with no effect.

If you folks are having the same issue maybe you can reach out to Roadtop. If enough people report it they'll have to do something. Maybe?

Anyway, getting increasingly frustrated with these screens. Each one does a lot right but the things it does wrong are kind of deal-breakers. May see about a refund if they can't address.
Anything ever come of this? Looking at the 8.9, any other deal breaker issues with it?

@Bryanmc I been pretty happy with Hikity Portable Car Stereo Apple... Amazon product ASIN B0BFW7V2KX

I stumbled into the hikity brand on Amazon while trying out a bunch of these CarPlay screens. I like that (using iOS) it does not need an aux cable (can use Bluetooth). The unit linked above is pretty compact. It looks more like a bigger nav/gps than “a Tesla screen”.
The dual Bluetooth solves an inconvenience I have with my current CarPlay screen, the screen pairs to the phone, and then i have to manually send the Music app connection to the Bluetooth input of my amps (a streamer). Dual Bluetooth should fix that!

Edit <Ordered the 10.26" for the 'dual bluetooth'. Will be selling my otherwise identical 10.26".>

Last edited:

Going to give the 10.26" version a try. Thanks!

Oh, I suppose I'll make everyone aware of an issue I've been experiencing with the new 8.9" unit. It appears that there is either a defect with my unit or a general firmware defect where the brightness setting is occasionally ignored on boot-up and the unit will be dimmer than the user-configured setting. This is frustrating as it takes 5 or so clicks to go back into the display menu and jiggle the slider to reset the brightness. I've reached out to Roadtop about the issue a few days ago but they haven't yet responded.

Dimmer Level setting at 20 on initial boot, screen is dim:
View attachment 3361064

I've only had this issue twice so far--it's not ideal, but I believe a faster way to do this is once you're on the home screen in the picture just tap the power button icon to turn the screen off and then tap it again to wake the screen back up and both times it's happened it defaulted back to the correct brightness.

it's best to connect the phone to the car bluetooth and to the CarPlay unit without connecting the CP unit to the Car...

Hi @CWolg - i am trying to copy your setup! How did you run the wire under the dash speaker to the fuse box?
I'll be honest, it was a pain! I removed the passenger-side vent and the trim pieces in the footwell to the right of the center console area to gain access. Then I fished the wires down from the top behind the main infotainment screen. Once I had pulled down enough wire, I ran it into the glove box through a small access hole that I (carefully!) cut/drilled in the back of the glove box. I have an auxiliary fuse box in the globe box that powers the CarPlay screen and charging ports. The power for that fuse box goes through the passenger-side firewall grommet to the main battery. I used an auxiliary fuse box just to give myself some room to grow. I'm sure you could power it off of the existing fuse box if you knew where to tap.
IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

the 10.26 screen above ('hikity') does not have 'dual' bluetooth. It's exactly like the screen I currently have, but without a built in camera. For the price ($99) it's a good value, but it isn't what I need and It's getting returned. I have already ordered the 7" hikity, which has one review showing it has 'dual' bluetooth.

the 10.26 screen above ('hikity') does not have 'dual' bluetooth. It's exactly like the screen I currently have, but without a built in camera. For the price ($99) it's a good value, but it isn't what I need and It's getting returned. I have already ordered the 7" hikity, which has one review showing it has 'dual' bluetooth.
After a day of messing with it I’ve come to the same realization. Support has been non-responsive.

Oh well, back it goes. I’ll wait and hear your thoughts on the 7”.

After a day of messing with it I’ve come to the same realization. Support has been non-responsive.

Oh well, back it goes. I’ll wait and hear your thoughts on the 7”.
@Bryanmc @grinchy what do you mean/expect by “dual Bluetooth”?

There’s a screen for setting the output. You can choose the built on speaker, Bluetooth, aux cable , or fm transmitter.

Or is there a different feature you’re taking about?

I don’t see that screen. You can turn the FM transmitter on, or if you plug an aux cable in it switches to that, but nowhere do I see the ability to send via Bluetooth, or am even able to connect to my car via Bluetooth for that matter.

Here’s how I set the audio out.

On the CarPlay screen, click the smart screen app

IMG_0777.jpeg

This brings you to
IMG_0780.jpeg

When I pick Bluetooth, it plays over the car (as long as I pick bt audio on the car)

IMG_0774.jpeg

My phone also shows that it is connected to the car. I have not taken any calls while also using the CarPlay, so I’m not sure what happens lol.

Weird. I tried the hikity 9” “low profile” and their rear view mirror. And they all worked the same way as this 7”.

Also. The 7 I have is an older model compared to the 9 and 10.26.

Here’s how I set the audio out.

On the CarPlay screen, click the smart screen app

View attachment 3403934

This brings you to
View attachment 3403935

When I pick Bluetooth, it plays over the car (as long as I pick bt audio on the car)

View attachment 3403936

My phone also shows that it is connected to the car. I have not taken any calls while also using the CarPlay, so I’m not sure what happens lol.
I'll dig it out of the box and look for the 'smartscreen' app, but I don't recall that being on the home page. Doesn't mean it wasn't, I was looking for a 'setting' icon in the firmware side of things, like they use for the bluetooth music setup.

I’ve got that app on the Home Screen, but it just takes me back to the screen where you can choose CarPlay, Android, FM Transmitter, and Media Player.

I’ve actually got a reply from their customer service department which gave the same instructions as elcie200 gave above.

I explained I don’t have that screen and they asked that I send pictures and my order number. Will see what they say.

Ok, I'll leave it packaged up then. I reread the 10.26 add the only time it mentions 'dual' bluetooth is screen shotted as the music player. I think it's ad copy bleed over. the 7" clearly shows an image with dual BT connecdtions (in and out)

Looks like the 7" mount will be an adventure. That was a plus for the 10.26", same mount I had already adapted to my support arm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom