Road salt reducer or OCD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got alot of salt is on the roads around my town in the north east this winter. I like to keep the undercarriage as clean as I can all winter . I use a pressure washer in my driveway to spray the truck off before garaging it. Then I use a blower to dry it off in the garage. Yup the neighbors think I'm crazy.
The pressure washer is ok but it doesn't get the middle of undercarriage.
Anyone have something like this, and how does it work?

M MINGLE Pressure Washer Undercarriage Cleaner​

Amazon product ASIN B07K22DGRY

You have an application of Fluid Film applied? If you do don’t “pressure” wash it. I use a garden watering wand upside down and it reaches everything.

Not necessary to blow dry the truck, it will dry on it’s own.

Car wash with undercarriage wash? You do this every time you pull in the driveway? I would say the OCD is on high! I live in KC we use a lot of salt I think and I have never had an undercarriage ruined from rust. I do go through a car wash at least once a week to wash it down though.

I use one of those garden wands they use to water plants with has a 24” tube with adjustable head , wash off the salt and yuck , I am lucky enough to have a few vehicles and not drive my LC 200 in the salt and slop , you pay all the money for these vehicles and they get destroyed with road salt and brime if you live in a area that uses that crap .
I hated to drive my 2022 4runner TRD pro I just got but was the least valuable to sacrifice to the salt gods !

I have this and it works great. Use it once a week during salt season.

I think that product will work well for you and your needs to get the whole undercarriage. Good for you, I support your OCD. But as mentioned by others, a coating of fluid film if you don't already, can do wonders too. Although your pressure washing habit may remove it all too. Either way, I bet your rig is clean and will survive a long time.

I use this after days off-road or in the mud. Hadn't thought about using it for salt, just fluid filmed to fight the salt.

Yes, I have one of those undercarriage cleaners that I use with my pressure washer and it works great, especially around the LCA's and behind the brakes. You can see all that salty brine stuff come off on the driveway. Water pressure out the thing is not too strong (like a direct pressure washer wand) so it doesn't wash off the coating.

Definitely apply any coating underneath before the seasonal applications of all those salt and brine mixes they throw down on the roads. I was out Saturday running errands and my truck was covered with the salt mix. On Sunday, it warmed up above freezing and started raining a little. I was out in my driveway spraying the undercarriage with that undercarriage wand and washing the salt off the truck paint in a raincoat knowing the temperature for the upcoming few days would not get above 32 degrees.

BTW - I'm a big proponent of Optimum No Rinse (ONR) for quick winter washes in the garage in about 20 mins.

Yes but get one on real roller wheels. (roller blade style).
The one i got is gone now but that bent fitting is key for ease of use.

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 3.19.57 PM.png

Yes that is exactly what I use to wash the mud off my jeep.

Got alot of salt is on the roads around my town in the north east this winter. I like to keep the undercarriage as clean as I can all winter . I use a pressure washer in my driveway to spray the truck off before garaging it. Then I use a blower to dry it off in the garage. Yup the neighbors think I'm crazy.
The pressure washer is ok but it doesn't get the middle of undercarriage.
Anyone have something like this, and how does it work?

M MINGLE Pressure Washer Undercarriage Cleaner​

Amazon product ASIN B07K22DGRY
I use that unit on my undercarriage and it works okay. Better than crawling under my LC when it's 20 degrees! It doesn't get 109% of the dirt off, but close.

I use one of those garden wands they use to water plants with has a 24” tube with adjustable head , wash off the salt and yuck , I am lucky enough to have a few vehicles and not drive my LC 200 in the salt and slop , you pay all the money for these vehicles and they get destroyed with road salt and brime if you live in a area that uses that crap .
I hated to drive my 2022 4runner TRD pro I just got but was the least valuable to sacrifice to the salt gods !
Even in the worst salt it will take 25-30 years to ‘destroy’ it. Which of you keeps a vehicle that long?

I use that unit on my undercarriage and it works okay. Better than crawling under my LC when it's 20 degrees! It doesn't get 109% of the dirt off, but close.
They work but then your driveway is covered in ice. Touchless car wash with ‘under carriage spray’ works well if done once a week. Salt can’t rust metal if it’s dry and cold. Leaving salt on the car when it warms up is what does all the damage.

Even in the worst salt it will take 25-30 years to ‘destroy’ it. Which of you keeps a vehicle that long?
I would have to disagree with that. Ive seen vehicles less than ten years old that have lived in the Northeast or the rust belt, and their undercarriage is basically unrecognizable.

I would have to disagree with that. Ive seen vehicles less than ten years old that have lived in the Northeast or the rust belt, and their undercarriage is basically unrecognizable.
Sure, ive seen Ford, Chevy, and Dodge pickup trucks with this issue. Even some very old Toyota 4Runners and Tacomas. But modern Land Cruisers? Not once have I seen one. I have a 100 series that I have owned since new in 1998. it is in Alaska, sits 100 feet from the beach. Chassis plenty rusty on the surface but solid as a rock underneath. But there may be cases I haven’t seen, for sure.

I live in Chicago and I use CRC Marine 06026 Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor on the outside frame and locations exposed where water and salt can get in easily, and spray liquid film inside the box frame, inside doors & hood using an extension wand (amazon). Good Youtube video for reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom