Road is a little bumpy with your first 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought my first 80 this weekend, and after getting it on a lift I returned it today. Seller was an honest guy. I don’t think he knew how bad the rust was and I got all my money back.

So I found another, bought it off eBay (pending inspection), and I’m putting it on a lift Friday. Anyone see any red flags (besides no undercarriage pics) with this one: 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser | eBay

IMG_4972.jpeg

IMG_4962.jpeg

IMG_4969.jpeg

IMG_4970.jpeg

So the rusty rig... having lived around that kind of stuff up north... that is just irresponsible rust!

so on the Ebay rig, i am alway cautious when someone has pictures of a vehicle that are fuzzy when cell phones 10 years ago could do better than that. So even in the fuzzy pictures there are some rust stains under the hood and looks like it up under the front bumper. Also could be the fuzzy pictures but the underhood gasket seems to look like it has overspray on it. Not a bad thing really but could mean something is hidden. Could be good. i hope it is for you!

That rusty turd is a parts truck, at best.

The rust free west coast trucks are going to sky rocket in price very soon, already are.

I like them like this.

4DF2ACB1-7FF6-45C6-8885-F7B2E5ED28C9.jpeg
599920CE-D41D-4DAE-973C-DFEF338787B1.jpeg
04A44FDE-3BEF-48FD-A4A8-1E5997B1297E.jpeg

Cheers

The 1996 looks good from the photos. I don't remember (but don't pay attention) seeing a 1996 with cloth seats/interior before. I wonder if it doesn't have a sunroof either? They are pretty uncommon in the later years I believe... (poverty pack). Seems like they are more desirable as well, so that is cool!

I suspect it has been repainted. I would want to know how recently and why--could be hiding something. Or maybe not. Bumper caps have definitely been painted. I also see some rust on the fender liner where the airbox bolts down--not a typical spot for rust, so doesn't necessarily bode well for the typical spots, but who knows.

Cloth seats are a big score in my book 👍

Last edited:
I suspect it has been repainted. I would want to know how recently and why--could be hiding something. Or maybe not. Bumper caps have definitely been painted. I also see some rust on the fender liner where the airbox bolts down--not a typical spot for rust, so doesn't necessarily bode well for the typical spots, but who knows.

Cloth seats are a big score in my book 👍

Yes, they said they repainted a few years ago because of the old paint being faded/oxidized. Little odd that rust is already showing at the front of the hood after such a short time, which is one of the things I'm concerned about. But, if it's minimal then I'll just use a restoration body shop to fix everything right. I'm happy to put extra money in it as long as it's not a pile of garbage to begin with. I live in a beach town and I struggle to break 10k a year even including a few trips per year to NC to visit my mum. I've always loved 80s, and I really just want to build a vehicle with a bit of character that is fun to drive and turns a few heads along the way. It will never get 35s with mud tires. I'm too old, and have no interest in tire noise drowning out whatever boring crap I'm listening to on the radio.

Agreed on the cloth interior. Looking forward to covering it with scotchguard and leaving it alone.

Here is a few tips when buying sight unseen...

Run a CarFax report to see where it has lived over the years. If it has resided within rust belt areas it's whole life, like where it right now, I would personally pass. 80' are awesome in the snow so most people drove them in the worst of it.

Do a live chat via Skype or Duo with the seller and have them give you some good video shots of everything. This also gives you some perspective of the current owner for instance maybe it's a young kid that most likely beat on it.

Fresh paint jobs can be good and bad. Seeing rust after a fresh paint job is alarming to me. Ask for photos before paint, if it was a clean rig before repainting they should have documented it. If no pictures, my BS meter would be in the red.

If you actually go to see it being a good magnet, but not too strong of one, with you and go over everything looking for bondo (magnet won't stick to bondo).

Hope this helps, happy hunting!

Yes, they said they repainted a few years ago because of the old paint being faded/oxidized. Little odd that rust is already showing at the front of the hood after such a short time, which is one of the things I'm concerned about. But, if it's minimal then I'll just use a restoration body shop to fix everything right. I'm happy to put extra money in it as long as it's not a pile of garbage to begin with. I live in a beach town and I struggle to break 10k a year even including a few trips per year to NC to visit my mum. I've always loved 80s, and I really just want to build a vehicle with a bit of character that is fun to drive and turns a few heads along the way. It will never get 35s with mud tires. I'm too old, and have no interest in tire noise drowning out whatever boring crap I'm listening to on the radio.

Agreed on the cloth interior. Looking forward to covering it with scotchguard and leaving it alone.
This sounds like my most recent brush with Maaco. Corners were cut, sealer/primer skipped entirely. Rust popping through in places where there wasn't even any to begin with. Paid for services not received. Rolling the dice with a body shop like Maaco, and I knew that going in. I've had good work from them in the past, and bad. Just depends on whether they feel like doing their job that day.

Great news, the 96 ended up being a good buy. Still has issues, but they’re all fixable. Terrible repaint for sure, but it was because the owner was a bit of an idiot and thought the oxidation required new paint. Two small rust areas on the body (front of hood, behind drivers rear door. Frame has minimal rust in some areas, no rust in most. The rust stain that was showing under the driver’s door was just paint rubbed off the bottom of door jamb in a small area. Looks to be feet dragging getting in/out since there are no sliders. Easy fix. Interior is about 85%. The dash has a few cracks (anyone ever tried the filler/coating method?), couple small stains, but the rest is great. Sunroof seals nicely and operates fine. Needs rear brakes, tires, and the center console compartment is busted. Overall I’m really looking forward to this project.

Now a question for the group. Roof racks. I have a sunroof, and I live by the water in CT so I like to use it. I also want a roof rack but honestly just for style as I don’t need the extra storage. I like the tubular style of the Yakima and thought about putting one of those units behind the sunroof. My concern is the noise with the sunroof open. Anyone have an option they feel is minimal noise and still the tubular style?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom