Road from Mayer to Crown King (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Living in the Past

SILVER Star
Threads
I have to up to Crown King tomorrow. I will most likely have to pick up someone in Prescott Valley. I heard there is a way up to Crown King from Mayer. Does anyone know the condition of that road? I know Senator highway is a lot worse than heading up from Bubble Bee/Bloody Basin side. I see there is also a road headed to SR69 from the junction of the Bubble Bee and Bloody Basin roads. Anyone familiar with that? Most likely be in a stock 2nd Sequoia which is 4WD.

Are you talking about Pine Flats road? That’s well traveled as there are homes along there. I did try another route down toward Mayer from Senator Highway about 2 years ago that ended up being not passable, it was clearly not used at all.

It's as nice as the main road up to CK if not better. You shouldn't have any issues.

Jim

I have only been to Crown King a couple of times. That was back way from behind Lake Pleasant then back down thru Cleator. Need to be at an event in Crown King at 3:00 PM tomorrow. Plan was to pick up someone at Cordes Junction. Because of the possibility of snow the person now has backed out. This is something this person should be there for. Is this the Pine Flat road? Where does it start in Mayer? Thanks.

My son is taking our 04 4Runner and do have a 5th gen 4Runner if that is better than the Sequoia. Like the Sequoia because is has a on pavement 4WD option while the 4Runner has locked 4WD.

S Jefferson Street in Mayer becomes Pine Flat Road going west until it ends at Senator Hwy. Then south on Senator Hwy will take you to Crown King, north on Senator Hwy will take you to Prescott. A Sequoia or 4 Runner with good tires should have no problem, however snow at higher elevations could make things "interesting". Alternatively, you can go north in Bumble Bee on E Crown King Road which goes north, then turns west all the way to Crown King. This is another popular, well traveled route.

If this was my trip I'd make a big loop for a change in scenery along the way; I'd take I-17 to Rt 69 then Rt 69 to Mayer. In Mayer, west on S Jefferson Street to Pine Flat Road, then south on Senator Hwy to Crown King. Leave Crown King going east on E Crown King Rd then south to Bumble Bee and back out to I-17.

S Jefferson Street in Mayer becomes Pine Flat Road going west until it ends at Senator Hwy. Then south on Senator Hwy will take you to Crown King, north on Senator Hwy will take you to Prescott. A Sequoia or 4 Runner with good tires should have no problem, however snow at higher elevations could make things "interesting". Alternatively, you can go north in Bumble Bee on E Crown King Road which goes north, then turns west all the way to Crown King. This is another popular, well traveled route.

If this was my trip I'd make a big loop for a change in scenery along the way; I'd take I-17 to Rt 69 then Rt 69 to Mayer. In Mayer, west on S Jefferson Street to Pine Flat Road, then south on Senator Hwy to Crown King. Leave Crown King going east on E Crown King Rd then south to Bumble Bee and back out to I-17.

How is Senator Highway? Is it further west it turns bad? This is certainly not a pleasure trip. Have to be sure to be to Crown King in plenty of time. Shortest and fastest for me would be I-17 to Bubble Bee. Someone in Prescott Valley who should be there won't with the current weather conditions. Besides snow is this basically a high clearance road? The Sequoia is a 2010 4WD and the 4Runner is a TRD Off Road. Both have ATs. Sequoia has Michelin LTX in great shape. 4Runner has original Bridgestones ATs. Tread is okay, certainly not worn out. those will be replaced with BFG KO2 shortly. If you think the rear locker or Crawl are needed probably take the road of SR69 a little ways before 1-17.

Senator Hwy turns "bad", south of Crown King between Crown King and Lake Pleasant (the Backway to CK). Approaching Crown King from I-17 (through Bumblebee) following E Crown King Road all the way to CK is a maintained road and Rear Locker or Crawl Mode not required in dry weather. However, the unknown with weather as Crown King is at nearly 6,000 ft - just checked and Tuesday daytime forecast is 60% snow, 1 inch with 3 - 5 inches evening (if the storm doesn't come through early). Personally, I Travel Lightly & Leave No Trace - avoiding travel in wet weather (rain or snow) as it tears up the roads and Yavapai County and the Forest Service have more than enough to do to maintain existing roads in good weather.

Been traveling in the Coconino National forest for fifty years. At that time the forest stayed open year round. Remember all rutted roads created by vehicle slipping and sliding in the mud. Not only did my vehicle's track never match the ruts the ruts were never in a straight line. While some think forest are closed in the winter is to prevent people from getting stranded it's really about protecting the roads their is no budget to maintain. Remember going to a information meaning in 2007. Someone from the forest service said in the past 40% of the total budget went to fighting fires. 2007 that had risen to over 90%. That means eveything else had been cut.

I have been tracking the forecast weather at Crown King for over a week. Storm looks to be a cool one. Not one that rains for hours then turns to snow. Those create dangerous conditions on the pavement with ice under the snow. Dirt means saturated ground and ideal conditions to tear up roads. Same with a snow pack melting in the spring. So far hasn't been much winter. While up thru Bubble Bee would be the ideal way I have to travel to Prescott Valley to pick someone up first. Sounds like going from Spring Valley might be the best option. I know the Senator south of Crown King is a 4WD road I was lead to believe it was bad in sections before getting to Prescott. Would like a more scenic route but have to be sure to be in Crown King well before 3:00 PM otherwise the whole trip would be wasted. Familiar with driving in snow and would pick dirt over pavement. If the Pine Flat eay is basically a high clearance dirt road including Senator Highway would go that way. Few inches of fresh snow should be an issue.

@Living in the Past Hey John. Mom says Prescott Valley got a dusting Wednesday. Not sure if snow situation on the forest roads but if higher than 5300 you will probably have snow. She says the Mtns around town have snow on them.

@Living in the Past Hey John. Mom says Prescott Valley got a dusting Wednesday. Not sure if snow situation on the forest roads but if higher than 5300 you will probably have snow. She says the Mtns around town have snow on them.

The trip was Tuesday,. Made my Prescott pick up and just headed up the east side to Crown Kiing. Road was in good shape. Took the Sequoia and didn't air down. Tuesday the very top of the mountains could see a light snow on the trees. I did see what appear to be a 75 or 76 FJ40. Did not look to be running. But wasn’t there to look at LCs. It never really rained or snowed. Never had to turn on the windshield wipers. Most rain was on I-17 headed back. That just we just heard it. Never bothered the vision out the windshield.

Would still be interested in the condition of Pine Flat Road (FS road 67?) and the section of Senator Highway over to Crown King? Didn't have the luxury of turning around because of a time crunch. So took the way I knew.

FS road 67 and Senator Hiway to Crown King are pretty decent roads.

Thought it was but couldn't risk not making it to Crown King on time. Should have planned on going to Prescott Valley in the first place insteading of meeting up in Cordes Junction. Would have had more time to reseach the road. Was really surprised at the condition of the road on the east side. Does FS road 67 get you into the pines sooner? Coming up on the east side seems a 1/2 mile or less after getting into the pines your at Crown King.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom