RLCA skid cleaning tips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I have a set of Turbo8's awesome rear lower control arm skids, but I didn't count on them collecting so much gunk. What're people doing to keep them cleaned out. Hit them with a pressure washer? I didn't even see it until I had the wheels off.

E18DF7AF-DD5E-46E3-BA85-B26FDFA0C373.jpeg
262487B0-B279-4562-B053-6CDA74C14F32.jpeg
272A0018-DDBF-44CA-ACAE-6DA4F6152929.jpeg

I noticed the same thing with my skids after running some muddy trails. I havent bothered to clean them out yet. Probably will just hit them with the garden hose with a decent nozzle.

I have a set of Turbo8's awesome rear lower control arm skids, but I didn't count on them collecting so much gunk. What're people doing to keep them cleaned out. Hit them with a pressure washer? I didn't even see it until I had the wheels off.

View attachment 3248417View attachment 3248418View attachment 3248419
yeah, I've been wondering if I need to pull them off periodically to clean them. Mud/dirt doesn't bother me but road salt in a small crevasse does. So far, I've just tried hitting them with pressure washer but to be effective I need a 90 degree nozzle end to actually get in there. I've thought about removing them, cleaning them, reinstalling and then fill the valleys with caulk or something.

They are great and they do collect some gunk! I've basically decided that twice a year I'm going to remove all the skids (budbuilt and these RLCA ones) and do a thorough cleaning with the pressure washer. Timing-wise I'm doing it in March and September when both the weather is decent and before/after my primary off-roading season. I don't really think there are good options to avoid it and I'm pretty confident that both would be difficult to get a good cleaning without removal, so the extra work is probably worth it.

Yes, the mud and dirt traps the salt and brine and holds it against the steel, so double whammy.

Hmmm, maybe a design tweak with some holes along the skids to aid in drainage @turbo8?

I'm glad I don't have to deal with that. Maybe I need add drain holes before each clamp? Judging off of your pics I have a feeling they would get clogged though.

I could definitely be a torture tester for aftermarket products. lol :)

A hole before each clamp would probably be sufficient. Even if it isn't enough, it would make spraying out with a hose more effective without removing the skids.

The material is mud most likely from deep mud crossings, and it got there in a liquid form that most likely would have drained out of drain holes.

Hoes, I mean holes it is!

Took a look at mine, after however long they have been on. I have a little build up of crusty sand. If you want me too, I'll add holes in front of the 2 rear most clamps.

20230215_154052.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom