Rivian R1S vs LC thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Would you trade in your Land Cruiser for a Rivian R1S/R1T?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is real easy to design research that will support a hypothesis.

What is someone not trained to interpret every detail of complex studies supposed to do to find accurate information about the world around them?

What is someone not trained to interpret every detail of complex studies supposed to do to find accurate information about the world around them?
That is the million dollar question. I truly wish I had an answer. All I can suggest is to read everything you can put your hands on. Trouble is, you would spend every waking moment reading some dull, boring journal on some esoteric subject. Who has that kind of time?

That is the million dollar question. I truly wish I had an answer. All I can suggest is to read everything you can put your hands on. Trouble is, you would spend every waking moment reading some dull, boring journal on some esoteric subject. Who has that kind of time?
That's the sub-point. Not to mention needing formal training in the relevant science to truly understand the methods, results and conclusions.

People are left finding someone they trust to interpret things for them.

And here we are..

That's the sub-point. Not to mention needing formal training in the relevant science to truly understand the methods, results and conclusions.

People are left finding someone they trust to interpret things for them.

And here we are..
One of the most helpful pieces of advice I ever received is to hold in mind that our minds are prediction machines. We want to know and we strive to know and we can’t. Certainty doesn’t exist. We do have tools that help us make educated guesses, but it’s still all guesswork, some of it done in earnest and with acknowledgment of the limits of our ability to know, some of it done with less honest motives.

One of the most helpful pieces of advice I ever received is to hold in mind that our minds are prediction machines. We want to know and we strive to know and we can’t. Certainty doesn’t exist. We do have tools that help us make educated guesses, but it’s still all guesswork, some of it done in earnest and with acknowledgment of the limits of our ability to know, some of it done with less honest motives.
What bothers me is when people use previous science being proved wrong as evidence that science shouldn't be trusted. While typing that into a modern cell phone...

Somehow we are supposed to share this earth with people that don't even try to wrap their heads around the why and how of the things around us. And to me that's bad enough.. now it seems people are so tribed up they can't agree on basic facts about the world around us. I try to keep a sense of humor about it but at times it leads to big questions about how we are supposed to get out of this mess.

What bothers me is when people use previous science being proved wrong as evidence that science shouldn't be trusted. While typing that into a modern cell phone...

Somehow we are supposed to share this earth with people that don't even try to wrap their heads around the why and how of the things around us. And to me that's bad enough.. now it seems people are so tribed up they can't agree on basic facts about the world around us. I try to keep a sense of humor about it but at times it leads to big questions about how we are supposed to get out of this mess.

The exact underlying problem is that scientific consensus while based on scientific research, is predicated on consensus. People cant often find that so every manner of human system is directly influencing the outcome in the place of actual foundational truth.

What bothers me the most is kind of the extreme inverse of what bothers you, the assumption we have things all figured out. Most SMEs when you speak to them paint strictly in grey. Which is my favorite color for a reason…

Taking aggressive stubborn positions in extremely complex and dynamic situations has been the hallmark of the last few years. I think we are all extremely over it.

Sure we have iPhones, but by 2050 everyone on earth will statistically experience some kind of cancer. We cant even determine what people are supposed to eat and are literally poisoning ourselves daily. For all the steps we’ve taken forward we are regressing as a species at an alarming rate.

The exact underlying problem is that scientific consensus while based on scientific research, is predicated on consensus. People cant often find that so every manner of human system is directly influencing the outcome in the place of actual foundational truth.

What bothers me the most is kind of the extreme inverse of what bothers you, the assumption we have things all figured out. Most SMEs when you speak to them paint strictly in grey. Which is my favorite color for a reason…

Taking aggressive stubborn positions in extremely complex and dynamic situations has been the hallmark of the last few years. I think we are all extremely over it.

Sure we have iPhones, but by 2050 everyone on earth will statistically experience some kind of cancer. We cant even determine what people are supposed to eat and are literally poisoning ourselves daily. For all the steps we’ve taken forward we are regressing as a species at an alarming rate.
Agree.

Research, even that done by the most objective person has an agenda. Everybody has an ax to grind, even my research for my doctorate. Now that I am half way through my seventh decade of life, I have at least come to realize that I am not as smart as I like to think I am and the older I get, the more I realize just how little I really know.

But then again, when Jay Leno used to do his "JayWalking" on the Tonight's Show, he was talking to seniors at USC that were about to graduate. He was talking with a young lady who was a US History major. He asked her if she knew what the Gettysburg Address was. She answered of course! He then asked her: "Well, what is it?". She answered: "Well, I don't know the specific address". Well, what can you say? The current state of higher education.

Yes, we are regressing as a species it seems.

All you can do is gather as much information on a subject from as many sources as possible and come to your own conclusions. It's like debating which tires are the best and in what size for our LCs and LXs, to keep it on the technical side. Tires: something I need to decide on in the near future.

I heard KO3s will cure Covid..

Amen. It is interesting that no cancer patient has these kinds of arguments about science with their oncologist. When a layman argues with climate scientists who have spent decades learning and operating their craft we know it has become politicized.

The entrepreneur in me just looks at this climate mess as an opportunity to design solutions that will make me a lot of money. That is what I focus on now that I know there is a problem to solve and I can see it’s effects everywhere around me.

When a layman argues with climate scientists who have spent decades learning and operating their craft we know it has become politicized.

People feel justified doing that when they hear it’s easy to design research around a hypothesis. That’s what I was getting at above. When the people apparently doing the research so openly view it all as a farce.. wtf is anyone else supposed to think?

I like the Colbert quote "Reality has a well known left leaning bias". Whenever I present any evidence in support of climate change being real, or covid deaths being underreported (all pandemics in history, literally, have under reported deaths), or the efficacy of masks, my source is suddenly biased and I've been duped, and the other person shows me a you tube video with doctor oz telling me I'm wrong, then I get a "well you have your sources and I have mine".

It's hard to have discourse with people when we can't even agree on reliable sources, no common ground. With no common ground it's basically not even worth trying to discuss things. It just stops with "that's not reliable", both people think they are right but usually one actually is. Its a dead end.

I play big truck. Big wheel. Gimme KO3. Gimme model 3 go fast.

I share the sentiment that I’m either continuously finding out how dumb i am, or I am seriously getting dumber as I age. I haven’t had the easiest life, so without getting into details I lean on the latter lol. One thing is for sure I care less every year and drill down on me and my family’s well being.

I am not an “enlightened centrist” either. That s*** pisses me off. I have opinions and love to hear them.

So, Rivian owners, tell me how many times it’s malfunctioned on you? Lol

People feel justified doing that when they hear it’s easy to design research around a hypothesis. That’s what I was getting at above. When the people apparently doing the research so openly view it all as a farce.. wtf is anyone else supposed to think?
Who sees it as a farce? No one serious sees it that way.

Who sees it as a farce? No one serious sees it that way.

Oh boy come on down to the freedom states my friend and find out lol. Even I, a full blown conspiracy theorist, am shocked by some of the positions people have here.

Amen. It is interesting that no cancer patient has these kinds of arguments about science with their oncologist. When a layman argues with climate scientists who have spent decades learning and operating their craft we know it has become politicized.

The entrepreneur in me just looks at this climate mess as an opportunity to design solutions that will make me a lot of money. That is what I focus on now that I know there is a problem to solve and I can see it’s effects everywhere around me.
That's the problem though, it isn't just laymen arguing. Kind of like the whole COVID mess. We saw experts being silenced/canceled and valid arguments spun as conspiracy theories. Now we see the evidence coming forward that they were actually right and Big Pharma money was behind this manipulation. What makes people think they aren't/can't do it in the case of climate change? Lot's of money to made there.

That's the problem though, it isn't just laymen arguing. Kind of like the whole COVID mess. We saw experts being silenced/canceled and valid arguments spun as conspiracy theories. Now we see the evidence coming forward that they were actually right and Big Pharma money was behind this manipulation. What makes people think they aren't/can't do it in the case of climate change? Lot's of money to made there.
Just a bit curious, what kinda arguments were you hearing?

When you say
Big Pharma money was behind this manipulation
what were they manipulating, and who was behind it?

I like the Colbert quote "Reality has a well known left leaning bias". Whenever I present any evidence in support of climate change being real, or covid deaths being underreported (all pandemics in history, literally, have under reported deaths), or the efficacy of masks, my source is suddenly biased and I've been duped, and the other person shows me a you tube video with doctor oz telling me I'm wrong, then I get a "well you have your sources and I have mine".

It's hard to have discourse with people when we can't even agree on reliable sources, no common ground. With no common ground it's basically not even worth trying to discuss things. It just stops with "that's not reliable", both people think they are right but usually one actually is. Its a dead end.
Colbert's reality has a Left leaning bias, actual reality like biology and weight management is now considered "right wing"

Maybe people don't trust your "science" because they have been constantly lied to and gas light for decades.

The climate cult has been 100% wrong for 50 years. every, single predication has been wrong.

In the 70s were told the "New Ice Age" was coming. That didn't appear so it became "Global Warming" Then that never happened so it became the catch-all "Climate Change"

ALWAYS wrong, never in doubt.

Edit: I don't know why I am bothering, we have no common ground, you think everything you don't believe is a big con/lie and everyone else is tricked but you.

I could post literally anything and you can find a "counter source" for it, albeit disingenuous like all the others you posted (including the Fauci thing).

I'm not a doomer, but I think people and emissions can impact our planet, cause of like looking around me. Not sure how that is controversial.

Last edited:
Just a bit curious, what kinda arguments were you hearing?

When you say

what were they manipulating, and who was behind it?

You are not serious about that last part and taking intellectual superiority high ground right now right? I pray…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom