Rivian R1S vs LC thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Would you trade in your Land Cruiser for a Rivian R1S/R1T?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One thing I never see in the studies of how green the EVs are over their life as compared to ICE is what is the carbon footprint of recycling / disposing of the spent batteries. I have done some research into this and it ain't pretty. But, for some reason, that little tidbit is never included in the discussion. Plus, you have to drive an EV 15,000 - 20,000 miles to get to the break even point before it starts to have less carbon footprint than an ICE.

Even Consumer Reports dodged the question by saying that once the batteries are done in the car, they are used for home and business power supplies. That is all well and good, but what when the battery is done? What then?

Currently, the batteries are glued together with epoxy. You can't just take them apart and re-use the components when done. Current methods are to incinerate them and then gather up the "ash" and separate out the recyclable components or dissolve them in a very powerful, nasty and toxic acid and then again separate out the reusables. Then, the rest of the toxic sludge has to be disposed of. Or, the batteries are just dumped in a land fill. None of these options seem to be "environmentally" friendly to me, but then what do I know?

I would love to have a vehicle with an electric traction motor as they are ideal for that purpose. But where do you get the electricity from? That is where I have a problem.

I have to wonder if all this money and research going into EVs was instead used to find ways to make ICEs more adiabatic and have an efficiency upwards of 60% to 70% or more, what you that do in "saving" the environment?

For now, petroleum is the life blood of the planet. I think we should use it as efficiently as possible. I can't see a world where every country's seacoast and every hilltop is lined, several rows deep, with wind turbines and every piece of vacant land is paved over with solar panels. What would be the carbon footprint of that?

Many places are starting to add on extra fees to EVs for the lack of paying a gas tax. You know that state has to keep the money coming in.

I wouldn't mind a hybrid version of the Land Cruiser. That might be interesting. Toyota has the hybrid thing down pretty well.

Ive said many times, the batteries we currently have are stone age level technology.
But a lot of what you wrote is easily solved with nuclear power.
Which ironically is a fancy steam engine lol.

I don't personally don't care for any of the politics involved, but i will say both sides lean heavily into their camp rhetorics.
Pushy EV people are just as annoying as those who swear it will never work. They are not as clean as they are touted to be and involve a s***load of actual slave labor.
I dont think they should be disregarded though, we will have batteries that will change the game in big ways sooner than later.
Its just right now, its too rosey a picture being painted, and too pessimistic on the other side of the isle.
Even though im as cynical as it gets, and know for a fact we dont have nearly the plant and grid capacity for EVs (as much as gov is shoving them down our throats they are woefully unprepared), i still like having both at this juncture.
Its nice to have diverse systems, as a systems architect, why would i refuse that option.

One thing I never see in the studies of how green the EVs are over their life as compared to ICE is what is the carbon footprint of recycling / disposing of the spent batteries. I have done some research into this and it ain't pretty. But, for some reason, that little tidbit is never included in the discussion. Plus, you have to drive an EV 15,000 - 20,000 miles to get to the break even point before it starts to have less carbon footprint than an ICE.

Even Consumer Reports dodged the question by saying that once the batteries are done in the car, they are used for home and business power supplies. That is all well and good, but what when the battery is done? What then?

Currently, the batteries are glued together with epoxy. You can't just take them apart and re-use the components when done. Current methods are to incinerate them and then gather up the "ash" and separate out the recyclable components or dissolve them in a very powerful, nasty and toxic acid and then again separate out the reusables. Then, the rest of the toxic sludge has to be disposed of. Or, the batteries are just dumped in a land fill. None of these options seem to be "environmentally" friendly to me, but then what do I know?

I would love to have a vehicle with an electric traction motor as they are ideal for that purpose. But where do you get the electricity from? That is where I have a problem.

I have to wonder if all this money and research going into EVs was instead used to find ways to make ICEs more adiabatic and have an efficiency upwards of 60% to 70% or more, what you that do in "saving" the environment?

For now, petroleum is the life blood of the planet. I think we should use it as efficiently as possible. I can't see a world where every country's seacoast and every hilltop is lined, several rows deep, with wind turbines and every piece of vacant land is paved over with solar panels. What would be the carbon footprint of that?

Many places are starting to add on extra fees to EVs for the lack of paying a gas tax. You know that state has to keep the money coming in.

I wouldn't mind a hybrid version of the Land Cruiser. That might be interesting. Toyota has the hybrid thing down pretty well.
There is a decent business in repurposing lithium batteries which have lost power density to the point they are not viable for automotive use but are fine for static storage applications. A local buddy in Oakland has purchased a number of used Samsung bus batteries for his home PV/storage solution…much cheaper system ($/kwh) than the Tesla brand Powerwall.

Ive said many times, the batteries we currently have are stone age level technology.
But a lot of what you wrote is easily solved with nuclear power.
Which ironically is a fancy steam engine lol.

I don't personally don't care for any of the politics involved, but i will say both sides lean heavily into their camp rhetorics.
Pushy EV people are just as annoying as those who swear it will never work. They are not as clean as they are touted to be and involve a s***load of actual slave labor.
I dont think they should be disregarded though, we will have batteries that will change the game in big ways sooner than later.
Its just right now, its too rosey a picture being painted, and too pessimistic on the other side of the isle.
Even though im as cynical as it gets, and know for a fact we dont have nearly the plant and grid capacity for EVs (as much as gov is shoving them down our throats they are woefully unprepared), i still like having both at this juncture.
Its nice to have diverse systems, as a systems architect, why would i refuse that option.
Agreed, the politics suck. It gets in the way of actual research and development and having an honest conversation on the pros and cons. But as you know, people get very invested in their agendas. It's like a religion.

I would have an EV in a heart beat if I did not live where I do. Anywhere I go, it is going to be a 60+ mile drive, down and back up a mountain road. Most of the time, no problem, but I have seen too many people recently, with the blizzards we have had, run out of juice. Not good in below freezing weather. Also, the electricity rates here in the mountains is astronomical! I have all LED lights and unplug anything that is not being used. My gas furnace is a 94% efficient condensing type furnace. Even with all that, my electric bill is over $300 per month and gas is over $500 a month this year. February was 6 degrees colder on average than last year. I still have four feet of snow in my front yard and it is snowing now. It scares me to think how much it would be to charge an EV at current rates, on top of what I already pay. So much for trying to make a house as efficient as possible. Of course car gas ain't exactly cheap here in CA. $70+ to fill the LC, which has to be done every three-four days. Ouch!

There is a decent business in repurposing lithium batteries which have lost power density to the point they are not viable for automotive use but are fine for static storage applications. A local buddy in Oakland has purchased a number of used Samsung bus batteries for his home PV/storage solution…much cheaper system ($/kwh) than the Tesla brand Powerwall.
Yes there is. One study by the National Science Foundation found that by doing this, the overall carbon reduction is %17 by re-purposing the batteries before they are finally at end-of-life and recycled. The thing is, nobody talks about the final end-of-life situation. I do know that China has mandated that battery manufacturers have to make the spent batteries easier to disassemble for recycling. Of course, this drives up the manufacturing costs, but in the end, makes it much easier to recycle the battery's components.

True true no doubt. But BMW has the cash to stick around and makes pretty nice, well built upper models. Range rovers and Bimmers have built the cult following over the years, while Lucid was meant to tackle Tesla and failed. It will be interesting next fall to see if Lucid and Rivian will survive higher interest rates, tighter lending and burning billions in cash. Lucid lost $2.6b last year, while Rivian lost $6.8b. More losses coming this next quarter
Going to be an interesting next couple of years for sure. Not in a good way either.

All of these are right wing or libertarian news sources with a well known conservative slant. I’m a life long Republican but I’d stick with the facts.
Oh no! A Libertarian or "Conservative" site! They must be the 3% that are not part of the (TOTALLY) non-partisan "97% climate scientist consensus"

Hyundai Ioniq 6? Have heard really good things about them. Zero chance I'd ever buy a Tesla at this point in time.

Sorry missed the reply here^

I looked at the 6 for 2 seconds before I realized how obscenely expensive it is lol. Same or more money than a model 3 for a Hyundai? Is there something im missing?

Oh no! A Libertarian or "Conservative" site! They must be the 3% that are not part of the (TOTALLY) non-partisan "97% climate scientist consensus"
The platform is relevant to an examination of “information”. But regardless of the political agenda of the platform you shared a link from, the article you shared is full of junk science. Full. That’s all it contains. So it’s both junk science and it’s being used to advance an agenda. It doesn’t matter which camp it belongs to or hails from, if it’s junk science and it’s agenda driven, the last thing it should be considered is an authoritative source.

The platform is relevant to an examination of “information”. But regardless of the political agenda of the platform you shared a link from, the article you shared is full of junk science. Full. That’s all it contains. So it’s both junk science and it’s being used to advance an agenda. It doesn’t matter which camp it belongs to or hails from, if it’s junk science and it’s agenda driven, the last thing it should be considered is an authoritative source.
Sure pal, didn't realize you were a scientist. Guess "junk science" means science that goes against your worldview.

Cause NONE of the so-called climate science is agenda driven At All LOL

Sure pal, didn't realize you were a scientist. Guess "junk science" means science that goes against your worldview.

Cause NONE of the so-called climate science is agenda driven At All LOL
Yes, it’s clear there’s lots you don’t realize. Your earlier comments and helped us generate a hypothesis and we continue collecting data which indicate the accuracy of the hypothesis. Further data is needed in order to draw firmer conclusions of course, but if we keep this up I’m sure you will provide.

Yes, it’s clear there’s lots you don’t realize. Your earlier comments and helped us generate a hypothesis and we continue collecting data which indicate the accuracy of the hypothesis. Further data is needed in order to draw firmer conclusions of course, but if we keep this up I’m sure you will provide.
Ok boomer.

The irony of an echo chamber actually being a safe space is perfect to me.

Sure you are.

What facts? The "97% of climate scientist agree?" That is definitely not biased, 100% fact based.
It is sad that so much of the current "research" is agenda driven. Nowadays, liberal research, conservative research, none of it is to be trusted. It is like arguing who is more accurate: CNN or Fox.

It is not easy to assess the quality of research without delving deeply into the weeds. Those articles referenced by slipkid13 were referenced. One has to go to the referenced study itself to really be able to evaluate its quality. Simply saying that it is "junk science" without providing specific reasons or examples is a rather lazy method of rebuttal. It is real easy to say: "you don't know what you are talking about" simply because you don't like what the person said without providing any supporting statement for an opposing position.

I don't feel like going into the particulars of the various referenced studies, but I will say that I have a degree in Geology with a minor in Geophysics with post-graduate work in ore deposits, mineral extraction, economic geology and ground water geology/geochemistry, and as a second career, a Doctorate in Physical Therapy. Yes, I have done a Doctoral Dissertation with a defense and had research published. I have forgotten more about paleo-climatology than people like Algore and that Greta girl have ever bothered to learn.

It is sad that so much of the current "research" is agenda driven. Nowadays, liberal research, conservative research, none of it is to be trusted. It is like arguing who is more accurate: CNN or Fox.

It is not easy to assess the quality of research without delving deeply into the weeds. Those articles referenced by slipkid13 were referenced. One has to go to the referenced study itself to really be able to evaluate its quality. Simply saying that it is "junk science" without providing specific reasons or examples is a rather lazy method of rebuttal. It is real easy to say: "you don't know what you are talking about" simply because you don't like what the person said without providing any supporting statement for an opposing position.

I don't feel like going into the particulars of the various referenced studies, but I will say that I have a degree in Geology with a minor in Geophysics with post-graduate work in ore deposits, mineral extraction, economic geology and ground water geology/geochemistry, and as a second career, a Doctorate in Physical Therapy. Yes, I have done a Doctoral Dissertation with a defense and had research published. I have forgotten more about paleo-climatology than people like Algore and that Greta girl have ever bothered to learn.
I’ll give you slack for missing my post about why it’s junk science and why the research the articles quoted was abused by the authors of the article he posted since this thread is blowing up and my post got buried pages back. And just because something has references doesn’t mean it’s conclusive or authoritative or even solid research. I too am grateful for the training I’ve received in research methodology and scientific inquiry. I’d be a lot more confused and overwhelmed without it and would probably resort to picking an authoritative-sounding source to “inform” me out of a desire for comfort and a desire to feel safe and informed and right. Reality isn’t as clean or simple as most make it seem, though of course we all harbor a wish it was.
Look man, I love my Land Cruiser pig too, but for starters, nothing you posted has merit in this conversation. An article from a biased media outlet (The Federalist) which attacks “democrats” in the headline is from go a problematic source if you want to bring facts to the table. Further, the two studies it cited don’t even support the argument the headline or you are purporting is true. The first study is about quality issues, not even environmental impact, and it’s claims are dubious, so it’s a stretch to imagine why it’s even included. The second study is about the power sources for charging infrastructure - its data is also questionable. But even if not, the more we develop renewable energy sources the less charging infrastructure depends on fossil fuels to feed the grid.

The second article cites THE VERY SAME study I cited but cherry picks data elements to tell a different story than the study tells itself. Yes, mineral sourcing is higher initially with EV batteries, but lifetime emissions are ALREADY far less (this from a 2020 study from IEA) and will continue improving in this department. The point it makes is that earthen scars are worse from open mines than oil extraction but says NOTHING about atmospheric implications. Again, this article isn’t good science and it doesn’t support your position.

Beyond that, an article that is titled “EVs might be more damaging than you think” doesn’t and isn’t trying to prove they’re more damaging than ICE vehicles, just that they aren’t pure as driven snow and cherubs and rosy cheeked babies.

You don’t have to like EVs or want one, but your negative bias is clearly showing and all it appears you’re doing is justifying your previously held position without having investigated it for accuracy.

I’ll give you slack for missing my post about why it’s junk science and why the research the articles quoted was abused by the authors of the article he posted since this thread is blowing up and my post got buried pages back. And just because something has references doesn’t mean it’s conclusive or authoritative or even solid research. I too am grateful for the training I’ve received in research methodology and scientific inquiry. I’d be a lot more confused and overwhelmed without it and would probably resort to picking an authoritative-sounding source to “inform” me out of a desire for comfort and a desire to feel safe and informed and right. Reality isn’t as clean or simple as most make it seem, though of course we all harbor a wish it was.
I didn't miss your post.

I am very familiar with the International Energy Agency and their research. The agency is a supporter of the Paris Climate Accords and has signed on to the zero emissions by 2050 and "preventing" the 1.5 degree C temperature rise that is predicted. In March 2022, the IEA began to pursue a broader mandate on a clean energy transition.

Take the agency's research for what it is worth. It is real easy to design research that will support a hypothesis. Medical science does it all the time, ie: studies from 2020-2022 on the effectiveness of masks and the diet studies from the '70s. Remember when eggs were the big no-no?

1680137226659.png

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom