rifle/shotgun mounting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MoJ

Threads
I guess all those years of making jokes about gun racks in the back of pickups are catching up to me. Anyone came up with a solution for safely mounting long guns in the back of their 80?

In my gun safety class, we were taught that if you want to mount your gun, especially if it has a long barrel, as yours apparently does, use plenty of KY and make sure it's unloaded :flipoff2:

I have a very good solution. It is a rear drawer system with built in, carpet lined trays that hold my long guns. I have some very nice guns, and would hate to loose them.

If you mount them where they can be seen, you are asking for grief, and it is illegal in many states.

Just a thot.

robjam said:
In my gun safety class, we were taught that if you want to mount your gun, especially if it has a long barrel, as yours apparently does, use plenty of KY and make sure it's unloaded :flipoff2:

Are you sure it was gun safety class where you learned that? :flipoff2:

mitchhonore said:

mitch - it fits nicely in the center console. Been bulking up since I saw you Saturday? :D

Mike S said:
I have a very good solution. It is a rear drawer system with built in, carpet lined trays that hold my long guns. I have some very nice guns, and would hate to loose them.

If you mount them where they can be seen, you are asking for grief, and it is illegal in many states.

Just a thot.

Not too worried about theft and don't want to give up the space for drawers. I was hoping for a solution that would mount them vertical or at an upward angle in the cargo area. I'm in Missouri so most of the hillbilly s*** is still legal.

I'd be interested in the same thing. I see shotguns mounted in police cars often. There might be an already designed mount that we could modify?

MoJ said:
Not too worried about theft and don't want to give up the space for drawers. I was hoping for a solution that would mount them vertical or at an upward angle in the cargo area. I'm in Missouri so most of the hillbilly s*** is still legal.

This sure isn't a cheap solution, but I think you would find it MOST satisfactory: Install a full height steel Milford Cargo Barrier. Then you can mount a traditional long gun rack up high where you can watch it as you drive down the highway, or down low out of sight of theives and LEOs. If you mount the barrier rearward about two more inches at the bottom, you can carry a long gun horizontally on the front side of the barrier, between the barrier and seat back. To access the gun, just flip the seatback forward. It's completely out of sight that way.

I carry a compact .22 camp rifle in a soft case in this manner - it would be easy enough to mount a fixed rack. Here is 20 inch Estwing axe mounted on my Milford Barrier:

LX450_Axe-001.JPG

Plan on close to US$600 by the time you figure in the very expensive truck freight charges. If you need links I can post 'em.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Your in St. Louis which is a little different. I wouldn't do it if I were you. Unless you don't mind getting your guns taken away from ya. You can easily put them in the cargo area without taking up much room at all. Just say it you want it to look cool. :D At least I admit when I am doing something to look bad ass. No but seriously I would deter myself from putting gun racks in my rig if I were you.

stuck in GA said:
Your in St. Louis which is a little different. I wouldn't do it if I were you. Unless you don't mind getting your guns taken away from ya. You can easily put them in the cargo area without taking up much room at all. Just say it you want it to look cool. :D At least I admit when I am doing something to look bad ass. No but seriously I would deter myself from putting gun racks in my rig if I were you.

So ya think I'm driving around East St. Louis all day with an arsenal on display in the window of my 80 trying to look cool?

MoJ said:
So ya think I'm driving around East St. Louis all day with an arsenal on display in the window of my 80 trying to look cool?

I've heard enough about St. Louis that it's I don't think it's about looking cool, but about surviving. ;p

I've seen a set-up in sportsmansguide.com that hold 2 or 3 long guns. It attaches to the head-rests of the front seats and the guns are held horizontally against the backside of the front seats.

Overhead shelf for long guns - don't know if they make them for cruisers....

They have them for all the Fords, Chevys and Dodges....

Out of sight and easy access.

spartan said:
Overhead shelf for long guns - don't know if they make them for cruisers....

They have them for all the Fords, Chevys and Dodges....

Out of sight and easy access.

Looks like that might be the ticket. I was hoping for something holding 2-3 long guns - one for each person hunting. Head rest option is lots cheaper though.

weapon_shotgun.jpg

Couple of my " truck " guns

Police Magnum with 14" bbl makes it easier to handle in confined spaces. Factory modified choke. Tritium ghost ring sights. One shot magazine extension. FYI - it is a legally registered Class 3 short barrelled shotgun.

The other " truck " gun is a Marine Magnum 18" bbl gun with tritium ghost ring sights.

Very simple mounting. They reside on the 2nd row seat husky floor liner as required. Handy and out of sight.
REM870SBSR.jpg
REMMM12.jpg

Last edited:
spartan said:

All well and good for a pickup if no one is riding in back. But he said he wanted to carry 3 long guns, "one for each person hunting" so we have to assume someone will have to ride back there with all that weaponry perched directly over their head.

A kid would fit fine, but I can't see a six footer being comfortable in an 80 with that setup.

Posting the question at one of the many shooting forums would probably get a lot of feedback. Shotgunworld.com is one I can think of.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php

John Davies
Spokane WA

Nah - he said 2 or three long guns in the back of the cruiser. The mount shown carries two "hunting" rifles perfect.

I like for my guns to be right on the floor behind me, but obviously this is a different type of application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom