Ride height sensor on non-airbag GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to install aftermarket upper rear axle links on my 2018 Premium, and discovered a ride height sensor attached to the passenger side factory link. This surprised me as my GX is NOT equipped with rear air bags, so is this sensor doing anything when rear air bags are absent?

I have seen some references to headlight leveling, so maybe it does something for that?

I've only had issues with the AFS (headlight leveling) on mine. No issues with anything relating airbags or to suspension.

I've only had issues with the AFS (headlight leveling) on mine. No issues with anything relating airbags or to suspension.
Yours had airbags?

I don't know much about the headlight leveling... do all trim levels have it?

Yours had airbags?
I have the 2013 Premium, back when they only had standard or premium. Premium had everything including rear height adjustment (under 15 mph), 3 climate zones, full screen info and the ML sound system.
Ever since I had my suspension done, the AFS lite always flashes. The headlights still do their little dance (up, down, left, right) when I start at night but still the flashing AFS.
I tried turning it off from the steering wheel controls, but didn't work.
I tried adjust the linkage under the rear, again, no-go.
But to tell the truth, I never notice the flashing AFS. It's kind of behind the speedo needle so it's not like out, front and center glaring at me all the time.

The only 460s without at least a single ride height sensor in the rear would have been a 2010-2013 base model with halogen low beams.

The base had an option for AFS HIDs so that further narrows the pool.

@r2m Now that you have OBD Link… what code can you pull for the AFS blinking light?

The only 460s without at least a single ride height sensor in the rear would have been a 2010-2013 base model with halogen low beams.

@r2m Now that you have OBD Link… what code can you pull for the AFS blinking light?
Thanks for the info.

Bottom line is I do want to keep the sensor if possible.

The vendor I got the links from was unaware of this issue and is looking into it.

A number of thread here and on CL about these sensors but this specific one may help

” In order to get the headlights back to the same level that they were pre-upgrade, I added washers to each side between the frame and the ride height sensor. This was not enough change to get back to stock so I also had to extend the turnbuckles on the ride height sensor to the maximum extension. After all that, the headlight height is back to the original level with some small adjustments on the headlights. “

Hmmm, never thought about looking on the OBDLink app for a code. I'll have to check. I'll get back.

You will want to connect to Network E

img_1222_1d2aba84cc45794049ff11258afbac70e8e4037c.png

Reactions: r2m
Metalcloak. They did get back to me, and said I fab my own bracket or return the links.

I see that Metaltech says "GX460's that are Premium and Luxury models with the Adaptive Front-Lighting System can use these links if you toggle the AFS system off in the menu options on the dash.", rather than make a bracket for the sensor (wouldn't actually be that hard but I guess they don't think the volume is there to justify the effort).

If anybody knows of a maker that includes bracketry for this sensor I would appreciate knowing about it.

Trims level production numbers 14+ are not published anywhere I have found and Lexus told me basically trade secret or to that matter of any specifics like color as well

No further breakdown of how many 10-13 base have AFS but here are numbers from a Lexus documents I found years back of base and premium production number for US market

Side note… 2012s are technically the rarest 460 models

Base: 8,573
Premium: 4,203

Base: 8,839
Premium: 3,852

Base: 6,821
Premium: 2,876

Base: 8,849
Premium: 3,520

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on the metalcloak joints thus far? I’ve been debating them based on the price and supposed benefits of their proprietary joint style.
Have you wheeled them hard?
Yeah I like the joints too, in theory at least. Haven't had them long enough to really know. I think they are well made, although the gold zinc coating doesn't seem to hold up any better to road salt than any other coating. I'm going to paint them before next winter.

I installed the lower links last summer, and just wheeled for a week in Utah and they did fine, no issues. They certainly seem robust enough to take a good hit from a rock without a problem.

After Utah I visited a friends shop and we cut off the ride height sensor tab from the stock links and welded it to the Metalcloak upper link and installed them too, adjusted them all 1/2" longer than stock to help clear the 35s, and drove home to Minnesota. It wasn't too difficult a mod for the sensor if you can weld even a little.

Yeah I like the joints too, in theory at least. Haven't had them long enough to really know. I think they are well made, although the gold zinc coating doesn't seem to hold up any better to road salt than any other coating. I'm going to paint them before next winter.

I installed the lower links last summer, and just wheeled for a week in Utah and they did fine, no issues. They certainly seem robust enough to take a good hit from a rock without a problem.

After Utah I visited a friends shop and we cut off the ride height sensor tab from the stock links and welded it to the Metalcloak upper link and installed them too, adjusted them all 1/2" longer than stock to help clear the 35s, and drove home to Minnesota. It wasn't too difficult a mod for the sensor if you can weld even a little.
Thanks for the feedback. Welding is definitly not an issue for me, but I don’t think I have the ride height sensor, as mine is a base. But I’m not totally sure. I’ll have to take a look under there and see.
I’ll also be needing to reposition the wheels for clearance, havnt gotten the 35s fully stuffed to see yet. Also want to measure the pinion angle, before new links just to see what that’s at so I can play around with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom