Reuse Head Gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cwb

Threads
I had the head rebuilt on my FJ60 and have already put it back on. But now I've changed my mind about something and want to pull it back off. I've already torqued down the head bolts. If I take the head back off, can I reuse the head gasket?

Thanks!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

Get a new gasket, or you will be doing the whole project AGAIN!

Good luck!

-Steve

wouldn't it be fine if he has not run the engine allready? If you have run the engine I wouln't use it.

tried that just the other day, it was fine but i DIDNT run the engine. I torqued the head and then found out something was installed wrong so the next day I took the head off again. damn head is sooooo heavy

I would never do this, unless you are using a solid copper head gasket. Head gaskets are meant to be crushed when you torque the head bolts down and it is very difficult to get the torque exactly the same the second time. You will not get the longevity from a used head gasket and IMHO it will fail... eventually.

agreed...the price for a new head gasket is far cheaper than the possible damage down the road. Also, I seem to recall LOTS of people stating that only a Toyota gasket should be used, not aftermarket. worth the few extra $$.

done it lots of times but the gaskets ive done it with were of a differet material. take the head off and see if the gaskets are torn or anything, if so dont use it. if the gasket is the same as when you put it on it should be fine.

Dont risk it, they arnt that expensive(and i am a poor college student). I have done it once on a old Flat head but it was a tin head gasket.
Jesse

I would do it with any other gasket but not the head gasket. There's just too much riding on that gasket making a good seal. If it was the same as any other gasket it might be different.

Ok. Of those who are saying that they have done this, are we talking about a Land Cruiser six cylinder F, 2F, or 3F, or some other application, and if so, please state the engine, and brand of gasket, and how well this has worked for you. I am positive that I am not the only curious one out here on this topic.

Thanks!

-Steve

not on a lc motor, done many times on 22r motors with FELPRO hi po gasket(graphite?) occasionally they were torn in which case i wouldnt use em. most other gaskets ive seen cant do that after they are run even alittle. but since the orig poster didnt run this engine then I would change whatever doesnt satisfy me/him and if the gasket is torn or bent then i wouldnt use it. but if its not torn or bent or whatevers then.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom