Retractable seatbelt question.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening.
Has anyone purchased the retractable seatbelts from SOR? If so how did you mount the passenger side seatbelt? With the fuel tank and filling hose there just doesn't seem to be enough room. A couple of photos of your install would be very helpful.

Thanks...

Front seat? Lap belts? Or 3 point belts?

The lap portion of the seat belt attaches to the seat frame. This point is above the fuel tank cover so there are no clearance issues. This is true for both lap and 3-point belts.

This would be true if it 9/72- 1/79 US market FJ40. Prior FJ40s the seat belts did anchor the the floor. 2/72 besides switching to bucket seats in the US a emissions recovery tank was added behind the fuel fill the shield for that made anchoring a seat belt to the tub harder which is probably part of the reason the anchor points moved to the seats. 1/79 anchor points moved from the seats to the floor. But fuel tank moved to under the tub at the same time so OP most likely has a FJ40 made prior to 1/79.

Good morning. I have attached a few photos from behind the passenger seat. I thought I might be able to mount the retractable mechanism but don't have room with the jump seat down.

20201020_101557.jpg
20201020_101647.jpg
20201020_101745.jpg

Good morning. I have attached a few photos from behind the passenger seat. I thought I might be able to mount the retractable mechanism but don't have room with the jump seat down.

View attachment 2470964View attachment 2470965View attachment 2470966

Would be helpful if you included some important information like this is a South America cruiser that did not have a roll bar and has a custom top. All Toyota tops from 9/72 thru the seventies in the US market had a fixed nut on top to anchor the three point seat belt. 1/76-2/78 in the US market the hard top side had a bracket to attach the retractable part of the seat belt. After that moved to the roll bar. Different markets it varied. I grab a set of side brackets off a Australian market 84 HJ47RV. What happen in South America in on cruiser with custom top is probably something completely different. Here is what the lap belt on a 10/75 looks lik
IMG_20201021_121500017.jpg

Probably help with future questions to include that you have a South America import. Default here is US market cruisers. In the case of seat belts in the US 9/72-12/78 the seat was the anchor until 1/76 when part of the seato belt moved to the hard top side/roll bar. Do not believe 9/72-12/78 the floor was used as a anchor for seat belts.

Thanks, I have found a way to make it work with some of the hardware provided with the purchase of the seatbelts.
I thought I was pretty knowledgeable on the subject of FJs, clearly I was not. I made a rushed purchased that I am dealing with now.

I first drove a FJ as a very young airmen in the USAF back in the late 70s. Two fellow airmen had them. One keep his stock and the other pulled the 6 for a 350 V8. Mine today still runs, doors close (that tin sound), steers, shifts, and sounds just like the one I drove back then. And every time I get in I am that young airmen...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom