Restoring Interior Panels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Jasonredwood thanks for posting that. I'm going to go with Bluebird (still... really?) Brown and see how it matches. I mean, with the 8 shades of tan, brown, beige in the truck, it's bound to match something.

I did a complete color change in my '85 from grey to satin black using SEM. Excellent product and seems to have decent durability. Have a couple scratches on the glove box from putting stuff on the passenger floor board and tagging the glove box and can see the grey through it now where it has scratched off...which is expected on a painted surface. Having said that the product shoots more like a dye than a paint. It is SUPER thin when sprayed and leaves all the factory textures in the plastics and it doesn't really have any build up. If it were same color going on to same color I doubt it would be detectable. I've wiped down the interior a couple times with meguiars interior detailer+microfiber cloth and there hasn't been any color transfer to the cloth so I'd say it's durable in that aspect.

As per the paint rep who sold me the product said not necessary to use the promoter and only clean with dish soap/water and rinse with water and let air dry. Don't touch the panels with anything after the air dry and shoot them with the paint.

Last edited:
You guys NAILED it. I ordered some SEM Bluebird brown, did some cleaning, some sanding, some more cleaning... then some painting:
Picture1.png

May not win any trophies at the Concourse de Elegance, but tucked under the dash... yeah, that works!

You guys NAILED it. I ordered some SEM Bluebird brown, did some cleaning, some sanding, some more cleaning... then some painting:
View attachment 2260159
May not win any trophies at the Concourse de Elegance, but tucked under the dash... yeah, that works!
are you guys using sand-free adhesion promotor or another from sem? I assume all the parts are ABS or similar. I tried the acetone test but it did not "melt" so had me guessing before I buy different stuff. I had picked up sand-free adhesion promotor

Yes to the adhesion promoter. If the panel is rough - like these were - I sand them first.

My patience paid off. After a couple years of watching for part-out sales, I snagged some near-perfect rear interior panels. Not a single crack in any of the three panels. Next up: clean and paint. These panels were the last pieces I needed for the interior.

Have you guys painted that rear panel? It's kinda fuzzy. I've painted/dyed carpet and cloth seats before - just spray, then brush with stiff brush, repeat. But haven't done a material like this. Also, any experience removing/replacing the "net pockets" - the pins on the back?

IMG_1695.jpeg

also, there's a spot that looks like it got crushed in shipping (wasn't there in the seller's pics) that I want to fix. Before I break out the heat gun and play plastic sculptor, any tip here?

IMG_1699.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm glad you found a set. I'm also glad I didn't sell my back panel because I found all the other panels. I had to get a complete cab though. Actually a cut in half truck with a siezed engine.

I thought the back panel had material glued on. I haven't messed with mine yet to see if it can be pulled off. The nets on mine are saggy.

Looks like I'm watching to see what you do instead of offering guidance. :p

I just looked at mine. It almost looks like felt on the plastic and it will definitely peel off mine. Keep in mind it baked in the sun for years before I bought it.

Last edited:
yeah, it's definitely a fuzzy felt-like material. The one I got is in such good condition - seems like I'd spend days peeling it off. Maybe I should ship it to you to bake in the sun for the summer ;)

I kinda answered my own question on the creased/crushed sections - low heat and gentle massaging does it. This is some THIN plastic.

IMG_1703.jpeg
IMG_1704.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom