Researching Holley Sniper - thoughts on new in-tank pump option? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been putting together a mental list of repairs and upgrades I’d like to tackle on my 60, so I can start prioritizing and planning (and budgeting) Among other items on the short list, I want to desmog and get a carb rebuild/tune, however I’ve been digging into the possibility of going EFI with a Holley Sniper setup instead.

In looking at the options again yesterday, I noticed that Holley now has a kit that includes an in-tank pump and return fuel line:

From what I gather, people are generally relying on the mechanical fuel pump or adding an inline pump when going the sniper route (still trying to better understand where the power surge tanks come in to play - more reading to do). To me it seems like perhaps this new kit with the in-tank pump simplifies some aspects because it is more of a self-contained system (no need for PS?), however it adds complication where the pump needs to be added to the fuel tank (cut into the 60 tank or maybe use a 62 tank?)

For those familiar with the sniper setup, what are your thoughts on using this in-tank pump option?

1610598756482.png

@Dustin Messina has a great thread about the Holley...and can speak to the In Tank pump. I have the Power Surge...and hvnt had any issues.

X2 on the @Dustin Messina thread for Sniper info. I built a DIY surge tank/pump and haven't looked back. IMHO the surge tank simplifies any fuel pump repair but it does rely on the OEM mechanical pump. I figured that having both pumps accessible and the excellent reliability of the OEM pump offset the risks.
SimS

Your stock mechanical pump won't work for the Sniper because it doesn't supply fuel at the required pressure. An in tank pump is a nice clean way to go since the pump lives in the tank where it gets surrounded by and cooled by the fuel and it also stays nice and clean. It takes a bit more work to modify the tank or you might be able to find an FJ62 tank and work with that instead. There are several long threads on Mud already detailing just about every aspect of Sniper installs and tuning and overcoming running issues.

I have it documented in my thread. I went intank with zero issues, but you have to cut a hole in tank. Then my biggest recommendation is go ahead and plan on cutting an access door in your floor to get to pump instead of dropping tank if you need to access. This has saved me a lot of time and headache.

Also I just looked at the Holley pumps and I wouldn’t buy those... they are all $4-650 for a retrofit pump. @FJ60Cam hooked me up for I think 2ish. It’s been awhile so not 100% but sure wasn’t 650 bucks for a fuel pump.

I'm in the middle of installing Mosley's in-tank kit.

I like the idea of an in-tank vs. an in-line because of exposure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom