Repurposing Air Suspension Compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anybody repurposed the stock air compressor used for the rear airbags? I just learned that the Gen 1 VW Touareg comes with an air hose, pressure gauge, and tire chuck to attach to the suspension air compressor system. The purpose is to use the onboard compressor to inflate tires.

Is it possible to do the same with the stock compressor on the GX 460? For those of us who have removed the airbags, that compressor is pretty useless. Might as well add some tubing or hoses and fittings to make it useful again.

Our old Chevy Venture has air ride and the tire chuck factory...don’t see why not.

Too late for me, mine's already gone and I've installed ARB's largest dual compressor under the hood. That would be a nice hack if possible, but I don't imagine the compressor to be very robust considering what it's tasked to do. But filling tires and an air mattress should be fine, albeit slow.

Where is the stock compressor installed? I'm too lazy to look it up.

Where is the stock compressor installed? I'm too lazy to look it up.

This manual shows how to replace the compressor. It looks like it's near the rear wheel, just outside the frame rail.

To inflate tires, it would probably need a small canister in-line with the hose, so the pump would not be running all the time. 60 seconds is not a lot of time. I wonder what the cool-off time is between 60-second runs?

Bump on this post. What about using it to lock a locker? The run on the air line to the rear axle would be shorter. Might already be in a protected position.

Looking to delete my bags and go with a suspension kit but would love to reuse this factory part for something. Any other ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom