Replacing TRANSFER CASE SPEEDOMETER DRIVEN GEAR (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All:
Greetings from Idaho!
I have been troubleshooting my non-working speedometer. I replaced the speedo cable and put in a new speedo and odometer cluster. Doing the drill test from the end of the speedo cable going into the transfer case all works great but when attached to the transfer case the speedo does not work. I read a few old threads about the plastic gear going bad. Has anyone replaced one and good results?

Thanks, Craig

20200906_173925 (1).jpg

Yes, very straight forward. Just pull that bolt and keeper tab. Use a screwdriver as leverage to remove the entire speedo gear housing. Several good threads on here. Find @Coolerman 's website. There's a few pics on there too.

The rebuild kit is only around $40 but you'll need to get the right one for your build date. 33403-69065 was it for my 0877.

Pull that gear out and see what the numbers are inscribed on the shaft.

Not to bad, when I did mine it was melted. I had to pull the back end off the transfer case to get it out.

Are there different numbers for different years ? Is sixteen teeth early ?

Doesn't go by year but number of teeth. Diff gearing and stock tire size play into it. I find 16/17/18 used. The lower the number of teeth the higher the speedometer will read. 16 is is probably our 3.70:1 diffs. I was able to locate a 15 teeth used in Europe with 16" wheels and assuming 3.70:1 diffs. As I remember it was HJ60/HJ61 that had them. The drive gear is 6 on the worm gear.

With the teeth so badly chewed up indicate an underlying problem with the transfer case or 16 is the wrong number of teeth?
My FJ is running BF Goodrich 30x9.50R15LTs.

With the teeth so badly chewed up indicate an underlying problem with the transfer case or 16 is the wrong number of teeth?

Or something as simple as dirty speedometer cable that was dragging which caused the nylon teeth to wear from running against the steel worm gear.

Last edited:
Got my new transfer case gear. There is a small amount of grease on it, will it be lubricated inside the transfer case or do I need to lubricate it prior to installing?

Good discussion below on the speedometer drive gears. I just bought a new 15 tooth gear and appropriate drive gear last year for my 3.7 gears and 33” tires. I’m down to 5% off when measured with GPS.

Good discussion below on the speedometer drive gears. I just bought a new 15 tooth gear and appropriate drive gear last year for my 3.7 gears and 33” tires. I’m down to 5% off when measured with GPS.

Would you by chance have a part number for the 15-tooth gear? Need one myself.

Was the 5% over or under. Might go slightly shorter tires but thinking of keeping the 3.70:1 diff gears in my 79.
Would you by chance have a part number for the 15-tooth gear? Need one myself.

The fifteen teeth driven gear is for a split transfer case with a manual transmission. Going with an H55F in my 79 so will have to switch from a one piece case to a split case.
IMG_20200915_162342209.jpg

The gear, as LITP posted, is PN 33403-69055. I got it from MegaZip or PartSouq (shipped from Japan). It came with all the little goodies pictured in the bag. Since I didn't have the correct drive gear per the thread above, a correct used drive gear was purchased from SOR, their part number 070-31A-U. Couldn't find a new one, and the SOR price was reasonable. Both parts installed fine in my 1974 solid case. I've clocked about 2k miles on this setup.

With the above 2 parts, I'm 5% under on my 33x10.5 BFG KO2 ATs. So 50 mph on my speedo is 52 mph on my GPS. In fact, "adding 2 mph" works well for all the speeds I drive since its a narrow band on these things. I also verified the 5% under on the odometer over a 30 mile drive. When doing the math for MPG, I add 5% to my odometer mileage to get a more accurate result. Different tires will obviously have different results.

HTHs!

The fifteen teeth driven gear is for a split transfer case with a manual transmission. Going with an H55F in my 79 so will have to switch from a one piece case to a split case.

OK thanks good to know. I am running (stock for me) 3.70 diffs, an H41, and an Orion transfer case. The Orion is based on my stock one-piece case, so it looks like the 15-tooth gear won't work. Oh well, I'll just keep mentally adding 5 mph to my speedo reading (once I replace the stripped drive gear).

OK thanks good to know. I am running (stock for me) 3.70 diffs, an H41, and an Orion transfer case. The Orion is based on my stock one-piece case, so it looks like the 15-tooth gear won't work. Oh well, I'll just keep mentally adding 5 mph to my speedo reading (once I replace the stripped drive gear).
I’m using a 1974 one piece case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom