Replacing stereo on 2006 Land Cruiser . (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've seen posts on replacing the tape deck stereo on 2006 Land Cruisers with the climate control/navigation combo. I can't seem to locate any threads on the search function and I thought I post a new thread.

Can anyone share an experience They've had with replacing only the tape deck (not navigation/climate control) with a Bluetooth enabled head unit. I have an iPhone so I prefer apple compatibility but I guess android would work fine as well.

the problem is fabbing something to fit this curve, and making it look ok as far as faceplates go for you new headunit. Other than that, a 60-80 ohm resistor on the vehicle side of the tx lines pink and blue of the stereo harness. Some other random things also, depends on what you want to work or not. And then the signal ground for the speaker lines, all sorts of BS.
Get a plug in BT that everyone talks about if you want easy. 68 ohm resistor to replace stereo on NAV equipped LC and LX

IMG_20171018_195829.jpg

Thanks, very helpful.

I'll probably keep the unit the way it is and just hook up a 2.5mm jack. To modify so much, for Bluetooth capability, for what I want to get out of the system is a bit much.

Thanks, very helpful.

I'll probably keep the unit the way it is and just hook up a 2.5mm jack. To modify so much, for Bluetooth capability, for what I want to get out of the system is a bit much.

hey man don't get overwhelmed. It's relatively simple and not too expensive even if you went the installer route. I took out my six disc because i couldn't get the input to easily integrate into a relatively inexpensive receiver (like the rear usb or aux). Not a big deal for me because i use my phone for bt pandora and have xm radio (addable once you get aftermarket receiver). Anyways. That tape deck space will not accomodate a cd receiver but instead a shallow (less than 4") digital media receiver. I researched the ish out of all of the currently available options and found that JVC was the best at the time but I'd rather have pioneer (all the pioneers were 2v at the time). Low and behold, this units is now available for $20 more than what i paid for my JVC and is 3 sets of 4V preouts.

MVH-S501BS - NEW! Digital Media Receiver with Enhanced Audio Functions, Improved Pioneer ARC App Compatibility, MIXTRAX®, Built-in Bluetooth®, and SiriusXM-Ready™

here's the jvc if $20 is a breaker

JVC KD-X340BTS

As a reply indicated. Find a matching resister, tape it in, done. The aftermarket radio will be wireed straight to your ignition and antenna so it will operate on and off as the car...so just like factory:)

as for all your speakers, deal all that old factory s*** and get something you can really crank up. Simple component set up front, solid coaxial set in the rear doors and you'll be good unless you want to add bass. Then you get a simple stealth box with an aftermarket subwoofer amp later. G

Going back to the part about the six disc. I mounted a four channel amp that was pretty much the same size as the six disc. Even used the brackets that held the six disc upright. only reason my cupholders had issues was that my rca's were 16' and only needed to be like 4 feet max. You could add a small four channel amp for your components or run them off the aftermarket receiver.

anyways, sorry for going crazy on stereo recommendations. Im a stereo fanatic first

Thanks for your recommendations, very helpful. It's something I need to look into.

Did you have to Take apart the center console in order to take out the CD changer?

yeah It’s easy though, pull out rear cup holder pullout, unscrew the shifter knob, pull up cosmetic tray, electronically move seats back so you can undo the screws hidden by the seats and it’s off. You can run super short rca’s through there. You wouldn’t even need to remove it if you ran speakers off the aftermarket receiver

Do you guys have any photos of how this finished out?
what pics are you looking for? console, OEM screen disection, under passenger seat stuff?
some different install pics.

IMG_20170424_084615.jpg

IMG_20161026_111728.jpg

IMG_20170213_125024.jpg

IMG_20170213_130940 (1).jpg

Last edited:
As you replaced the radio did you happen to find where the XM/Sirius satellite antenna connection is made? I thought it was under the passenger seat however i dont think that is the case. I need to replace the antenna and am trying to find (without randomly pulling out equipment) where it connects to the factory radio. thx!

Here is the xm receiver on my 2006. Its behind the rear passenger side seat above the wheelwell. It has 2 wires that go to the antannea which is located on the rear passenger side roof. Then of course there is a wire harness that comes out of it.

F7E1B4F2-7722-4A71-A01D-18CAB7636F85.jpeg

Also is that picture you can see the pesky airbag plug that can cause a srs flashing dash light.

Here is the xm receiver on my 2006. Its behind the rear passenger side seat above the wheelwell. It has 2 wires that go to the antannea which is located on the rear passenger side roof. Then of course there is a wire harness that comes out of it.

View attachment 1562355

Thank you Sir and you are a lifesaver!

hey man don't get overwhelmed. It's relatively simple and not too expensive even if you went the installer route. I took out my six disc because i couldn't get the input to easily integrate into a relatively inexpensive receiver (like the rear usb or aux). Not a big deal for me because i use my phone for bt pandora and have xm radio (addable once you get aftermarket receiver). Anyways. That tape deck space will not accomodate a cd receiver but instead a shallow (less than 4") digital media receiver. I researched the ish out of all of the currently available options and found that JVC was the best at the time but I'd rather have pioneer (all the pioneers were 2v at the time). Low and behold, this units is now available for $20 more than what i paid for my JVC and is 3 sets of 4V preouts.

MVH-S501BS - NEW! Digital Media Receiver with Enhanced Audio Functions, Improved Pioneer ARC App Compatibility, MIXTRAX®, Built-in Bluetooth®, and SiriusXM-Ready™

here's the jvc if $20 is a breaker

JVC KD-X340BTS

As a reply indicated. Find a matching resister, tape it in, done. The aftermarket radio will be wireed straight to your ignition and antenna so it will operate on and off as the car...so just like factory:)

as for all your speakers, deal all that old factory s*** and get something you can really crank up. Simple component set up front, solid coaxial set in the rear doors and you'll be good unless you want to add bass. Then you get a simple stealth box with an aftermarket subwoofer amp later. G

Going back to the part about the six disc. I mounted a four channel amp that was pretty much the same size as the six disc. Even used the brackets that held the six disc upright. only reason my cupholders had issues was that my rca's were 16' and only needed to be like 4 feet max. You could add a small four channel amp for your components or run them off the aftermarket receiver.

anyways, sorry for going crazy on stereo recommendations. Im a stereo fanatic first

Any chance you could post a pic of how it looks installed?

@Pucker5 did you make the plate around the headunit? did you just remove the tape deck from that area and install this headunit?
I want to do this so I want to start looking at what is needed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom