Replacing Steering Rack....question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's a lot of reading....probably just start at page 5 or so....as most helpful information is later in the thread.

An OTRAMM video (step by step) would be awesome. Maybe someday. His videos are always so clear and well done.

Are you running AHC? If yes, I made some posts about the type of ratchet that worked well in the cramped space to access the left side motor mount.

Last edited:
Are you running AHC? If yes, I made some posts about the type of ratchet that worked well in the cramped space to access the left side motor mount.

Yes....AHC. I will read up on that since it looks like one of the bolts/nut is a real bugger to reach. Thank You Sir.

Hopefully not need to lift the engine....but will if I have to. I am doing other work, so upper and lower control arms are off, steering knuckle, oil cooler (entire thing) removed. So tie rod ends need to come off then turn rack so that drivers side inner end is a short as possible then force the rack toward the passenger side and wiggle the rack out (the front) as pictured below? (not my vehicle)

View attachment 2441365

Thats my pic, the jack is there lifting the engine to aid removal... so much fun! I recall moving cycling the rack lock to lock to find the best mode where it would slip out.

Every vintage (over 18-year-old) Japanese vehicle that I've refreshed seems to have one or two of these "rite of passage" maintenance items. I try to get through them with the least amount of physical injury or broken teeth and do preventative maintenance for the items that are in the working area to avoid going back in at a later date. Then I try to put the experience out of my mind and move on. LOL :geek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom