Replacing rear output seal on transmission--possibly (probably) dumb Q (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I'm working through transfer case gears and got the case removed. I'd like to replace the output seal on the back of the transmission (purchased P/N 90311-48016.) I've not pulled a seal with a shaft protruding out--how exactly does one do it?

IMG_1880.jpg

Thanks in advance.

I used a screwdriver with some electrical tape on the tip to prevent scratching. Whatever method you use make sure to not mar the surface. Some thin shims or something to protect the outer edge. Mine came out pretty easy IIRC.

1590320225502.png

Take a flat blade screw driver and place it near the outer edge of the seal, // to the shaft, and swat it with a hammer to crease the seal's metal cup. It will release the tension on the seal and it will slide out quite easily.
As warned above, be careful of the transmission case and don't scratch the seal's bore.

View attachment 2317230

Take a flat blade screw driver and place it near the outer edge of the seal, // to the shaft, and swat it with a hammer to crease the seal's metal cup. It will release the tension on the seal and it will slide out quite easily.
As warned above, be careful of the transmission case and don't scratch the seal's bore.
Thanks @Rusty Marlin , that explains it. Appreciate it!

Thanks @Rusty Marlin , that explains it. Appreciate it!

The seal puller you pictured is designed mainly for seals that allow you to access the inner diameter (as you have already discovered). So the method @Rusty Marlin suggests can and does often work.

Alternately, for stubborn seals...you can drill a hole in the seal face (being mindful of anything behind it) and use a wood screw (of slightly larger diameter) to give you something to pry on. The pic below shows how I use that method (pic is of a lawn mower engine), but the same principle applies.

Good luck,

Flint.

CS2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom