Replacing gromits? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mmw68

CruiserCrap.com - pimping crap for your cruiser!
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
store.cruisercrap.com
Is there a old school trick for replacing the firewall gromits that have been removed or are cracked and broken? I need to seal up the fire wall for noise and heat. All the wiring is in place, so that is where the problem lies. ;)

Here is one idea - stolen form the hot rod fourm:

"For various size grommits, just take a hose that fits in the hole and cut it to the length you need, cut it down one side (carefully, don't take a finger off), then run the hose back into the hole again, all the way around till the ends meet, making a grommit out of it. You can use any size hose to do this and as long as the hole is big enough you can use it in any hole. You can put some sealer or glue inside the hose to keep it in place, I've used this many times over when I wanted to keep some wires that I had to run through the firewall safe from the sharp metal."

Is there a old school trick for replacing the firewall gromits that have been removed or are cracked and broken? I need to seal up the fire wall for noise and heat. All the wiring is in place, so that is where the problem lies. ;)

Here is one idea - stolen form the hot rod fourm:

"For various size grommits, just take a hose that fits in the hole and cut it to the length you need, cut it down one side (carefully, don't take a finger off), then run the hose back into the hole again, all the way around till the ends meet, making a grommit out of it. You can use any size hose to do this and as long as the hole is big enough you can use it in any hole. You can put some sealer or glue inside the hose to keep it in place, I've used this many times over when I wanted to keep some wires that I had to run through the firewall safe from the sharp metal."

Holy s***, that is brilliant!

It's ok to just cut the grommet and slide all your wires in through the cut as long as it's still a tight fit once it's in.

No, no, no...This is a Grommit: :D

I like the hose trick; I've also used the loom junctions that you can find at NAPA that do the same job, but don't necessarily seal as well as a stock grommet. If I had a choice, I'd split an OEM piece and use some sealer on the cut once it's in place.
grommit.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom