Replacing Brake line (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got this nice pretty extended SS Skyjacker brake line sitting on my desk, that needs to replace the cracked stretched taut rubber one in the rear. I'm guessing I ought to just let all the fluid out of the rear circuit using the bleeders, then replace the line, and then bleed all that air out? Oh yeah theres this little copper washer that came with it, that just looking at the line doesn't look like it really goes anywhere, is that a crush washer/sleeve whatever and all will become clear when I take the old line off, or do I need to be sure about this or that when reinstalling the line? ???

It depends how the brake line connects. On mine, I have a block with a female fitting on one end and a t-fitting on the other, but mine hasn't been stock in a long time. If you have a banjo fitting, the copper washer is very important. you need one on each side of the block. You don't need to drain the fluid before you disconnect. You do need to bleed all the air out for sure though.
The line going into the hose might be fragile. PB Blaster and a careful hand might keep you from having to replace the hard lines.
It's not a bad idea to have another vehicle handy so when the bleeder screws snap off you can go get new wheel cylinders. Hose em down with PB Blaster and work them carefully with a 6 point wrench or socket. If you do ned to replace the wheel cylinders and the brake hose, then you might was well get some line and run new line to the hose from the wheel cylinders as well.

I'm not worried about the bleeder valves, I have all new wheel cylinders. So when I disconnect that line, all the brake fluid above that line is NOT going to start pouring out on me? ???

I'm not worried about the bleeder valves, I have all new wheel cylinders.  So when I disconnect that line, all the brake fluid above that line is NOT going to start pouring out on me? ???

pouring, no...dripping yes. Have the replacement hose in hand as you remove, and don't waste any time. Wash (water rinse) the underside of the vehicle immediately after the process, since brake fluid will eat paint faster than a 4-year old thru M&M's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom