1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing antenna mast

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by bj70alex, Mar 10, 2004.

1. bj70alex

bj70alex

Hi,

I have to replace the antenna mast on my 93. The problem is, the original one is sticking rather high and I don't think I will be able to slide it down through the openning insde the fender. Question, do I have to just break the old one or is there a way to take it out without breaking it?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Alex
    85 BJ70
    93 FZJ80

2. Scamper

Scamper

When you unbolt the retaining piece on the top of the fender, you can just pull out the mast. No muss, no fuss.
    Tom

3. ginericLC

ginericLC Wagon Wheeler! SILVER Star

Be careful taking the retaining nut off (chrome piece with the 4 notches). Mine shattered and then I managed to twist the whole tube like tornado. I guess there was a little corrosion in there. I also ripped a little spot in my fender. Fortunately it is covered by the new antenna.

If replacing a non factory antenna I found that the wiring can get tricky. I ran the blue wire (suppsed to be power when radio is on) to up wire and the red wire (supposed to be battery full time power) to the down wire. To get the antenna to go up I have to depress both up and down buttons on the dash. When I want it to go down I just have to hit down. But I can leave the radio on and still control the antenna just like the factory antenna and radio.