Replacing A/C compressor & converting to R134A Questions (1 Viewer)

Previous owner said the a/c was worked, after I bought checked there's no Freon in system.
vacuumed for good 10 min make sure Low side gage stay in vacuum,
My a/c problem was high side and low side shredder valve was bad like a tire shredder valve.
when you done vacuum pour 1/2 cup of refrigerant oil and charged R-134f it blow cold for ever.
Don't even bother to changed drier.
BTW mine is 93 FZJ80. it has old school R-12 system.
I did the same on my 1987 FJ60 never had problem.

flintknapper

SILVER Star
Where do y'all in the Dallas area go to get your R12 evacuated? I have been calling everywhere and no one has the tools, even the Toyota Dealership! How is that possible? I cannot live with myself venting that crap into the atmosphere.

Are you sure you even have a refrigerant charge still?

flintknapper

SILVER Star
I stuck a philips head screwdriver in the valve and it hissed so I assume it does. Or would I be incorrect in that?

If you didn't get a 'liquid' spray and some oil with it....then you might only have a small amount of gaseous refrigerant left. Putting a set of gauges on it and reading the 'static pressure' (Engine off, system off) would tell us.

If you didn't get a 'liquid' spray and some oil with it....then you might only have a small amount of gaseous refrigerant left. Putting a set of gauges on it and reading the 'static pressure' (Engine off, system off) would tell us.
No liquid, just a hiss. I will give it a more robust check to see if anything liquid comes out. I'll see if I can get my hands on a gauge that will fit those old shrader valves. Maybe I am in luck and it is just residual pressure.

flintknapper

SILVER Star
No liquid, just a hiss. I will give it a more robust check to see if anything liquid comes out. I'll see if I can get my hands on a gauge that will fit those old shrader valves. Maybe I am in luck and it is just residual pressure.

Kind of sounds like it. IF you can get even a single gauge on the low side fitting and it is less than 50 psi (static pressure) I wouldn't have any qualms at all about venting that small amount of residual gas to atmosphere. A single Cow Fart is more damaging. IF you find you still have liquid refrigerant in the system...then that is a different story.

Kind of sounds like it. IF you can get even a single gauge on the low side fitting and it is less than 50 psi (static pressure) I wouldn't have any qualms at all about venting that small amount of residual gas to atmosphere. A single Cow Fart is more damaging. IF you find you still have liquid refrigerant in the system...then that is a different story.
So I really jammed a phillips head in the high and low valves and there was hissing, but no liquid was "squirting" out, though the tip of the phillips was a little wet. I ordered a cheap gauge set so I will have more info come Saturday. Just sharing if you have insights. I really appreciate the input as a/c systems are a bit of a mystery to me. I restored a 55 Chevy but didn't have to worry about R12, just installed a Vintage Air and all was good. Different story here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom