Replacement Engine - BJ74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.zenosafaris.com
Greetings - BJ74 currently running with a 14B engine.

I have a proposal to partake in an event - next year Rhino Charge
however the car i have will very likely need modifications.
My current problem is I have no turbo in the engine.
steep climbs, getting out of heavy mud may prove an issue.

Can someone give me suggestions as to what other engines I could use with my BJ74 without breaking the bank or suffering immense technical issues.
Will appreciate.

You have a 14B motor, real simple turbo your 14B with a CT 26 . Exhaust Manifold from a 13B-T (with Turbo).

or use a custom exhaust manifold , use td05 12b Mitsubishi turbo(Saab or Volvo) and intercooler .

hi guys.. sorry not to gifted with technical knowledge, could you be a bit more specific / detailed.
what exactly do i need and how do i go about it

SImply

1. Buy a CT26 or a 7M Turbo
2. Buy a 13B-T Manifold
3. Buy a 14B-T fuel Pump (this will have the acruator on it for the TURBO BOOST detection).
4. Buy new PISTON/RINGS and sleeves and every bearign etc and rebuild the engine.
5. FInd someone who knows about TURBO's and INTERCOOLING your 14B-T will need a front mount TURBO.
6. Ideally the RADIATOR and stuff should be placed in the rear out of the MUD range.
7. Find a really good mekanik and talk to him to do all this for you
8. Get someone to build you a roll cage in the vehicle to a HIGH quality it may save your life
9. Get really good helmets and 4 or 5 point HARNESSES and RACE SEATS installed and make sure you use them at all times no matter how inconmvenient.

Why RACE seats and harnesses? they stop you flying around like a rag doll!

If you do it cheap it will fail during the event. We just had someone killed here (last weekend) in a COMP because they had a HIGHLY modified (READ DAMN FAST) vehicle and NO NETS and the CAGE got crushed when it flipped twice and his BICYCLE helment failed to stop his head being smashed open and he was not wearing his seat BELT properly.

I can only advise and not make you follow this advice.

If I come across as blunt then I mean to its your life not mine.

thanks...
nope, u didnt come of as blunt...
roll bar / body work i have someone who is handling that..
getting the parts for the turbo is going to be an issue.. lets see..
cheers for your insight..

looks like a fun event, and a good cause

spent some time going over the rules

Rules And Regulations

11.5 The overall winner will be the entrant who visits the most Guard Posts in the
prescribed manner. Where the number of Guard Posts visited by two or more
competitors is equal, advantage will go to the entrant who has covered the shortest
distance. If distance covered is still equal, the overall time taken to cover the
recorded distance will be the tie break.

me, i would run a gasser in that event.
diesel would have little advantage.
gasser is cheap to buy, cheap to fix, cheap to maintain...
just sayin...

looks like a cool run, would LOVE to partake of something like that...

hmmm

looking at this some more

how cool would it be to go to Kenya

TECHNICAL CORNER
picture-1.jpg

BASIC RHINO CHARGE PREPARATIONS

This is the first of a series of articles that I think will help novice competitors to prepare their vehicles and selves for the Charge. I will try to cover one or two topics in each edition which I hope will be a guide for those less experienced Chargers.

Basically there are four things which are really important to completing the Charge;

* Do not try to be too ambitious
* A reliable car
* Good navigator
* And above all, a lot of luck!

picture-2.jpg

Lets start with some vehicle fundamentals. Any half decent 4 x 4 will do. Avoid jalopies, the Charge is full of them and they fail because they don’t get to the end due to chronic unreliability. Some of the softer 4 x 4 vehicles are very capable. I have competed in Nissan 4 x 4 Pick Ups, and Pajeros with great success. You don’t necessarily need heavy duty Land Rovers and the like to get round. A host of 4 x 4 pick ups or double cabs are perfect! Even the venerable SUZUKI 410 is a great vehicle. I am not talking about winning the event - that’s a different ball game which I will cover in further articles. The team should comprise of some competent scouts to assist in finding easier routes.

The navigator, when plotting the route should seriously avoid trying to “straight line” the navigation, he should pay particular attention to the maps contours and roads, avoiding as many steep gradients as possible. A fine balance between “straight lining” and visiting ALL the controls is the conundrum; this is the most exciting reason for competing in this wonderful event. As a beginner, the sense of achievement of having visited ALL controls is exceedingly gratifying. THERE IS A MAJOR DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TEAM OUT TO WIN AND THE TEAM WANTING TO COMPLETE ALL THE CONTROLS.
N.B I am advising the latter in this article.

BASIC EQUIPMENT:
picture-3.jpg

A well prepared 4 x 4, cross ply 8 ply minimum tires, fitted the new tubes with short nozzles and with good quality tire sealant, max inflation 20 psi, even retreads are ok. Good quality rope, excellent tow straps are available, to pull out of tricky situations, a hand winch will come in handy for the adventurous. Avoid winching, go around, its very time consuming, a panga, a saw, first aid box, fire extinguisher, plenty of water and re-hydrate, Abro epoxy rolls, break it, knead it, and plug the hole, useful if you spring an oil leak or worse a water leak in the radiator, set of tools, two spare tires, puncture repair kit and levers, a GPS, and seat belts. Cover the radiator grille with a fine mesh to keep out the rubbish from entering the radiator and don’t forget to clear the rubbish periodically during the event!

My advise is not to carry a full complement of 6 crew, navigator and three others not four, too many heads banged will cause tempers to flare. Give the crew plenty of space in the back, fit lots of straps and grab handles. Remove the rear doors if you wish, but the dust can be serious.

In the next feature, I will go into some preparation detail, engine, suspension etc, etc…
Have fun, raise lots of money, be warned this event is an OPIATE, you will be back!
Rob Collinge,
Chief Executive Officer
Romageco Kenya Limited

thanks for posting Rusty

well guys we get a lot of entries from overseas for the event - mainly from SA or the UK. Most entrants are normally kenyans like me. Working chaps who gather few friends and plan and enter. We do it for fun. Highly unlikely we can win as we cant compete with most of the foreigners and their unlimited budgets and power house vehicles. But we give them a run for their money. It is usually done at an undisclosed location until the actual date of the event. money raised is used to protect our water tower system and endangered wildlife - rhino mainly.
It happens every year around June - different parts of the country. You can google the event or go to youtube - some nice videos.
Most vehicles that are entered are landrover / range rover & uni mog. Landrovers 90% fitted with V8 engines. Unimogs usually struggle at the areas with steep gradients. Hardly has there ever been a landcruiser entered. Why, I have no idea. If there is one it is usually the 40 series or 60 series.
Its a pretty cool event.. I will be taking some tourists there this year so will get as many photos as I can. I will take part next year for sure. Plus there is the Quattro Charge this year being run by Rob Collinge of WELCOME TO ROMAGECO which most guys use as a test phase. There are several other events over the year but the most anticipated is the Rhino Charge. It is expensive. Minimum sponsorship entry is approx AUS$ 8500. Then you have your spares, cars etc etc. Entries are limited to 65 applicants only.
Il see what else i can get and post it up for you all.
YouTube - Rhino Charge Car 64 River bed
YouTube - Gearing Up For Rhino Charge
YouTube - Rhino Charge 2007
YouTube - Rhino Charge 2007
YouTube - RhinoCharge2009

Hi.. back to the initial question..
What other alternatives do I have for a BJ74.
If I wish to change the engine, what options do I have and do i need to change gear box, transfer case etc etc etc as well.
Kenya is very popular with the land cruiser HZJ 75 series, 78 series and now the 79 series so I can get those spares easily.

A question I have back to you - are you locked into the 74 as the vehicle for the event?

I'm thinking you might want to keep eyes open for another truck that is already turbod Or bigger engine and maybe more room in the back for your crew. Especially considering your questions/statements above

you going to have a five or six person team?

Five (6?) adults and gear in a 74 seems a little tite to me....

Are all the crew just going to stand in the back or will you have jump seats?

Last edited:
If your budget allows - It might make more sense to run a hz 75 or hz78 in that event and chop off the body / frame that extends back past the rear wheel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom